“The Best Vacation I have had in my life and I will be back later this month!”
Review of Turtle Inn

Turtle Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
“The Best Vacation I have had in my life and I will be back later this month!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The turtle inn staff all have great attitudes and make the stay very very pleasant.
Food is over the top fantastic

The staff at the Turtle Inn is fantastic! They helped us coordinate multiple trips to the island, and we will be back again this month! I will tell all my friends and family this is the best vacation I have ever had! I enjoyed every minute of my trip.

Len Freemyer

Room Tip: love the pool side sea view cottage, and the ocean view cottage, the shell phone is a great touch
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I selected the Turtle Inn because of the great reviews on many travel sites, and because it appeared to us that the village of Placencia would offer opportunities to have a local experience when we wanted to venture out of the resort. We were not disappointed! This resort is absolutely one of the best we have ever visited. The seaside villa was extraordinary, with a screened front porch facing the ocean, a spacious and beautiful bedroom, indoor and outdoor showers, and every amenity one looks for in a luxury resort. The service was likewise extraordinary. EVERY detail was attended to, from check-in to housekeeping, to the food and beverage service, to the concierge and all of the on-site and off-site activities. It was made clear to us upon arrival that the staff was there to make it happen - whatever we wanted was possible. And the dive shop and dive boat are fantastic! I am a SCUBA instructor and I have never dived with a more professional crew. They - like the rest of the resort staff - were friendly, very knowledgeable, and willing to go the extra mile to ensure that we had a great experience. The dive boat is great; large enough (47 feet, I believe) for moderate seas and very well laid out for diving. My wife and I were the only divers on one trip, and 2 of 3 divers on another trip, and the crew had a perfect plan, dropping off the snorkelers at an amazing island and proceeding to great dive spots on the outer reef. Great dives; diverse coral and reef fish, lots of eels and turtles, etc. I should also mention that the village of Placencia is absolutely charming, as are its residents; some cool restaurants and seaside bars. Bottom line: if you love first-class service in a beautiful setting, with access to world class watersports, go!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We moved to Turtle Inn after staying one night in a different Placencia hotel that we didn't like. We loved Turtle Inn. The staff was very attentive and helpful, from the moment we walked in. The grounds are beautiful and serene, and the rooms are spectacular. We stayed in a two bedroom villa, with a wonderful outdoor courtyard with shower, and the architectural touches were very nice. This hotel is proudly backwards in some ways - no air conditioning (but lots of nice breeze through the rooms at night), and no blender drinks (but the shaken pina coladas and daiquiris were unusual and great). The pools are small but the water is clean and refreshing. We walked through the grounds of Chabil Mar, the other well-reviewed hotel in Placencia, and the grounds could not compare - Turtle Inn is several levels nicer.

The only thing to note is that I would not make Placencia a destination, other than a stop on the way back from a resort on the reef, which is what we did. The beach in Placencia is narrow and, when we were there, not clean or appealing. The town of Placencia is nice, and Tutti Frutti is a world class gelateria in town. But it is not worth more than a day or two.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank James R
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed in a private home while in Placencia, but got to enjoy Sunday night pizza (2 for 1) at the Turtle Inn which was fabulous and great Coppolia wine. The salads are organic and very good. Also had a wonderful lunch with pastas and an above average BLT. Prices are reasonable considering it is an upscale resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed down the street at Chabil Mar but went to Turtle Inn twice for our "fancy" dinners - ie dinners where I wanted to wear one of the cute sundresses I packed.

I have worked in the high-end resort industry so I was also eager to see the decor. Love the space here - rustic, subtle but refined and stylish all the same. The food was outstanding. I had red snapper and we took advantage of pizza night on Sundays (buy 1 get the second for free).

The second visit my husband and I shared two pasta dishes - gnocchi and eggplant parm. Very very good - on par with some of the better Italian spots in NYC.

Note - TI has a vegetarian menu but we didn't realize this until our second visit. Be sure to request it if one of you is a veggie. Also note that part of the gratuity - 10% - is included.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JH4676
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed June 23, 2014

When reading this you have to understand, Turtle Inn is a spectacularly beautiful hotel right on the beach. The architecture is fabulous. The rooms are very simple and made of wood, which jives with the beach vibe well. The dining area and pool are beautiful as well.

That being said, I don't think the hotel is worth the money for the following reasons:
1) The beach front is pretty beat up. You stay at a beach front resort with the intention of spending time at the beach. The beach in front of Turtle Inn has a ton of sea grass and washed up debris. The water grows lots of sea grass, which makes wading slimy and snorkeling worthless given poor visibility. The beach front itself is also quite small. Walking in either direction you walk into fairly unattractive stretches of sand. Overall, not the best beach front experience.

2) Food gets a B. There are three restaurants. All three are decent and the three different restaurants provide a nice variety in dining experience. One is a "afro-caribbean" style joint, one is a beach grill, and one is a formal dining room. You can eat in each and get a nice variety. The food in all three is good but not a home run. Given the cost I was expecting a bit more. The biggest downside to the dining is that Coppolla wine is exclusive served. Given he is the owner this makes sense, but his wine just isn't that great. It's definitely not good enough to be the exclusive provider to a high end hotel. We stopped buying wine after our second dinner there.

3) Overpriced diving. You can go out with the dive masters at the resort, but you will pay a lot more for the exact same experience as that provided by the dive groups in town. We did the whale sharks twice and a regular two tank dive one day. One both days with the whale sharks we ended up clustered in with a large dive group from town when underwater, so the experience was literally identical to theirs. I had a similar experience on the two tank dive. All three dives were great and I recommend them. Just save yourself some dough and go with a larger group organizer in town. Dive guides are nice guys, so don't let this seem like a slight against them.

Overall, this is a relaxing, beautifully built getaway, but it definitely does not deliver the bang you expect for a top dollar resort that caters to international clientele.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CGO83
San Francisco
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a blissful 4 day vacation at the Turtle Inn, it was our second visit this year. This trip we brought our adult children with us and they were blown away, the beach was lovely, the service impeccable everyone from the GM Martin to our server Victor were outstanding. We stayed in the beachside 2 bedroom Pavilion and savored breakfast on our porch overlooking the pool, it was heaven. The food is absolutely delicious fresh eggs and vegetables from the organic garden, local fish on the grill and the best pizza's using Mr. Coppola's family recipe. It was the best trip we have ever had, I highly suggest this fabulous resort for a vacation to remember.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean have amazing views and beautiful cooling sea breezes.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family