This was the greatest place I have ever visited. It was secluded and quite, one of the greatest places that I have ever visited. I would recommend this resort to every one looking for a fantastic time.
- Free Parking
- Breakfast included
It is difficult to explain in words what a fabulous place this is. This is truly one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. It is paradise on what I would consider a remote island off the coast of southern Belize. My husband and I went to scuba dive and the experience was fanastic! The visibility was awesome. Some of the most beautiful reef I have seen. The dive master was excellent and very safe. But even if you do not dive the snorkelling around the island was excellent. We saw nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, stingrays, turtles, squid, and octopus just snorkelling!! The accomodations were wonderful. Honestly 5 star quality with your own deck, sitting area in your room. There are no fridges so plan accordingly. But the food and restaurant were excellent. The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful. And to top it all off the people are some of the most wonderful people you could meet. Truly made you feel at home and part of their family. You leave on a first name basis and consider them friends. Thank you Hatchet Caye for just an amazing trip and do truly hope to see you again soon!
1) Rooms situated perfectly right on the beach; your choice of chairs on your balcony almost over the water, hammock suspended between coconut palms on your bit of private beach, or lounge chairs, all a few steps from your door.
2) South dock on island right in the midst of coral reef; no effort whatsoever to get to good snorkeling. Plenty of coral and fish right at your doorstep almost. I saw more and greater variety of fish here than at Silk Caye. (However a snorkel trip out there was great; saw sharks, big rays, loggerheads, etc.)
3) Food is very good (included in our Groupon deal)
4) Service and staff just terrific.
5) Plenty of amenities, Hobie cats, kayaks, etc. which you can take out whenever.
1) Wait for meals at restaurant is substantial. Figure this in and bring something for the wait (conversation partners, book, computer, etc.)
2) Lack of fresh fruit on the menu. We severely felt the lack of it, and ended up asking the staff to buy us and bring us back stuff from Placencia. They did it (two large bags full) without complaint though, at cost.
3) No refrigerator in rooms.
4) Drinks (other than coffee, tea) were extra on our plan. We had brought our own juice and were OK. I think some people were running up extensive bar tabs judging by the scope of their drinking!
5) You must wait for everyone to assemble before the boat leaves for the island, and on return you must leave in order for the people with earliest flights to make it. Therefore you may be in Placencia for many hours both coming and going. It does cut into time you might have been expecting to have on the island if you arrived rather early in Belize, or if you have a later return time. Not all bad though, because Placencia is also on the beach and is a bit of a vacation destination itself.
Love this place. We stayed 2 days in Placencia, and enjoyed our time there, but the highlight of our trip was our 6 night stay at Hatchet Caye.
It is a beautiful island surrounded by beautiful water/marine life and amazing views. The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed and have all you need. We had great weather so we were not in our rooms a lot.
My husband fished everday (fly, trolling, bait casting, hand lining) and had the time of his life - thank you Sean! We did 2 separate snorkel trips that were outstanding - kudos to Daniel and Sean for both a fun and educational experience. In the restaurant/bar(David, Charlie,Andy) the service was great and food (Chris) was delicious...there was not one meal that I did not enjoy. The last night Andy, Gordon, and Rasta entertained all of us with a Garafuna performance that had us all dancing, such fun! I can't say enough about Dasha and the whole staff - hard working and gracious hospitality. We will definitely be returning!!!
Beautiful 4 acre island set just off the coast from Belize. 14 bedrooms spread over 7 little cottages with everything you need from the hammock to Wifi. Well designed and laid out with bar & restaurant. Breakfast was wonderful and the Lion fish tacos at lunch are a must. Head to the Jetty with a bottle of champagne to watch the sun go down. After dark marvel at the Spotted Eagle Rays swimming around the lights under the jetty. In the evening head to the restaurant for a delicious dinner underneath a starry sky. The perfect way to spend the day.
We went out to the resort just for the day. Leaving from Placencia Village, it was amazing just getting out there. Hatchet Caye lies about 17 miles off the coast, and passing by all the small little islands, and crossing different depths of crystal blue water is the fun. Once we got out there we spent the day snorkeling, spearing fishing, deep sea fishing and having a wonderful meal at the restaurant. The staff and owners were on hand and greeted us personally, ensuring that all our needs were met. There is also a volleyball court, a pool, scuba gear rental and just about anything else you would need on the island to make your stay enjoyable. We hated to leave at the end of the day, and plan on going back.