“Amazing Island get away”

Hatchet Caye Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I have been to several caribbean destinations. Hatchet Caye is our new all time favorite. The staff is so friendly and personable. The food is AMAZING! The Island itself is beautiful, small and intimate yet plenty to do, or not to do. The coral life around the island is healthy and lots of fish, etc. to see and if you're feeling adventurous you can even spear a lion fish.The Eagle rays at the end of the dock are fun to watch at night. Plenty of great adventures are offered off island as well. Everyone there made us feel special. The cabanas are very nice and comfortable and the island breeze blows nicely through the windows (A/C also available) and all have a fabulous view. The staff is really what makes this place so enjoyable! :))

Room Tip: Any of the Cabanas are great. #1 is the only single all others are double sided, but no worries; you...
2  Thank Marty L
There are newer reviews for Hatchet Caye Resort

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had no idea that I could feel so at home so far away from home on an island. By the end of day 2 I was calling it home. I found myself saying things like "when we get back home", and I meant to the room. Everything from the friendly staff, to the awe inspiring views, to the awesome accommodations made my dream vacation come true.
All the good stuff you read in the other reviews is absolutely true. Great Food, great rooms, great views etc. I can confirm. What you can't possibly read is the feeling that you get when you sit on those chairs facing the ocean, take in a deep breathe and truly let go.
I wanted a vacation to do nothing, because I'm always so tired, and Hatchet Caye is a perfect place to do that. What I didn't expect is that I would be so rejuvenated that I could do anything. I felt great! Again, I fully expected to park by butt on a chair and drink fruity drinks for 4 days, but instead I found myself snorkeling, paddle boating, then snorkeling some more.
The pictures posted by others are real, there is no need to post more of the same awesomeness.
Like many others have said, I too am planning my next trip already.
To the staff of Hatchet Caye- sorry if I did not say good bye, it was only because it took everything in me to hold the tears back. You are truly a blessing. Keep doing what you are doing. I will be back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 and in room 2. Both were great and had plenty of space. I worried the night we...
4  Thank Monica H
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I planned this vacation for hubby and I but kept the destination a secret from him. He was most pleasantly surprised! I think the small plane and boat ride to get there had him wondering if I was planning to return home with him though! I just reminded him that it was part of the adventure of this get away. From the moment we arrived, we were treated well. The atmosphere is laid back and casual. That was a relief because we don't like stuffy formality. We stayed in Cabana #1 and the view was spectacular. The bed was comfy. Be prepared for no television but you can borrow movies from the office. You can be as busy or lazy as you want but I recommend taking advantage of some of the excursions. Included in the island stay are snorkeling, kayaking, pedal boating and sailing. We did all of these plus the snorkeling at Silk Caye with a stop to swim with the loggerhead turtles and also went fishing with Ivan. The snorkeling right off the island is fantastic with so many different types of sea life and we enjoyed doing that several times. Neither of us had ever kayaked before but it was easy and provided a great view of the island from a little distance as did the pedal boat. Rasta took us sailing on the Hobie Cat and we traveled to Fisherman's Island for a quick walk around. I also loved hanging out in the hammock, listening to the sea, enjoying an island beverage and reading a book.

FOOD! I must admit that I was a little concerned about dining on the island since they only have the one restaurant. I quickly learned that it wasn't going to be an issue. The Lionfish Grill offers a variety of entrees at every meal plus a nightly dinner special with dessert. The kitchen staff prepares delicious meals each and every time. Even my husband, the self-proclaimed food critic, loved the food. We tried things we have never had and were always delighted. The drinks were also very good.

The staff is wonderful and are there to please. They obviously love working on the island and it shows. We loved it when Andy entertained us with his drum and Rasta taught dancing! David and Juan were always accommodating with any request. Fagan shared his knowledge of sea life when we were out snorkeling and even speared a lionfish! Dasha answered all my questions before and during the trip so I felt completely comfortable traveling to Hatchet Caye. The island security guard is rather cute too. We hope to return to the island soon!!!

3  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed May 13, 2013

For some reason we were put in the main house instead of one of the bungalows like the other guests who purchased the same Groupon package. They were painting so we had men outside our windows each day and no where to hang out by the water. The deck was shared by the path up to the crows nest so we had groups passing by in the evening as well. The people who came in off boats passing by made the resort crowded and noisy quickly. I thought I was booking a secluded, quiet, island getaway and that is not what I got. Would probably be better if you were in one of the bungalows.

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Kjdreyling
hatchetcaye, General Manager at Hatchet Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you Kari for your candid review. The 'main house' as we call Room 9 is either a love it or hate it type of unit it seems. Some of our repeat guests request this unit for the extra space and the privacy as it is not on the main path while others feel it is out of the way and less private as it is appointed near the crows nest. For this reason we try to make it very clear when confirming reservations to this particular unit that it is a partial oceanfront, as was done in your case. There is a large second floor sundeck with lounge chairs and a full on expansive oceanfront view but indeed the room is not at the waters edge. Regarding the boat traffic to the island we do have a public restaurant and although we try to discourage these visitors from invading our guest exclusive areas there are times when folks find their way to the crows nest out of their own curiosity. For this reason we have a 'private sign' and chain at the bottom of the steps that can be used at any time by the guests in house to ensure privacy. Thank you again for your review - feedback from our guests both past and present are what help us to improve and anticipate the needs of our future guests.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at Hatchet Caye. It was wonderful! The staff are very friendly and really go the extra mile to ensure that your stay is a memorable one. We stayed in room 7, which has its own private beach at the far end of the island. The food was excellent and the chef prepared 3 special dinners for us using the Tuna, Barracuda and Snapper that we caught fishing. We had an awesome time fishing, snorkeling and diving with Sean, he really knows his stuff! We swam with Dolphins, Turtles, Nurse and Lemon Sharks, Spotted Eagle Rays and Moray Eels. We missed the elusive Whale Shark although they were spotted by other guests while diving. Fabulous location where you can do as little or as much as you desire. We are already planning our return visit!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7, which is at the far end of the island with less foot traffic and a private beac...
1  Thank Maree1977
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Hatchet Caye for our Honeymoon to have that "middle of nowhere" feel and get a complete break from reality!
And boy did we ever!
From the minute we stepped on the boat in Placencia, to the minute we stepped off the boat 5 days later to go home, it was the best trip we've ever had!
On our boat ride over, we saw Dolphins jump in front of the boat, which to us was a great sign for a great trip. We were greeted by Andy with cocktails at the dock. Rasta took us to our room and we were completely blown away. Everything was so clean, and new but what really took our breath away was the view! Right on the beach so we could fall asleep to the sounds of the waves. Perfect! Out front of our cabana was a hammock and my husband spent many a nap there.
The food was DELICIOUS! With a limited menu due to the location, it was some of the freshest fish, and fruit I have ever had. (Don't worry if you don't like fish - they have other options.)
We went kayaking, walked the Caye, played volleyball with the staff (Team Belize won), swam with loggerhead turtles (watch out they bite), swam the reef, Andy taught us to dance like the locals (excellent jam band!), made some great friends and had memories to last a lifetime!
I can't wait to get back for another slice of paradise!

2  Thank Kalyn L
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visited this paradise for our honeymoon. the mrs didn't want to leave, pretty much had to drag her off the island. it is simply beautiful. Our days started with a great breakfast, then off to the beach for some snorkeling, scuba or kayaking. then some lunch (lionfish tacos were GREAT!), after a nap in the hammocks, some more snorkeling around the island. a quick shower then off to dinner (every dinner special was great). then we'd grab a drink and watch the rays off the pier. turtle excursion was great, but harpooning lionfish was AMAZING. if you can, get scuba certified before you come. it will save you some time and ca$h. the service was fantastic, Dasha, Andy, Fagan, and Charlie were so helpful and friendly. we will be returning. totally in love with this island.