“Found paradise on Hatchtet Caye!”

Hatchet Caye Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband freaked out a little at the prospect of spending 6 days on a small island far offshore but he ended up loving it and wants to go back! We usually don't go back anywhere as there are so many places around the world to see but we are indeed planning to go back.

You can believe the endless rave reviews; it is all that and more! Everyone went out of their way to make your time on the island the most amazing, everything is perfectly beautiful, the food was delicious at every meal (yes sometimes dinner was a little long but what else do you have to do?). We went to see the turtles and took the Monkey River tour but otherwise stayed put, enjoyed our deck/hammack/lounge chairs, snorkeled off the pier, used the kayaks and pedal boats, and watched the sunsets from the crow's nest with a fresh drink.

At night the hermit crabs cross the paths around the island so we were glad to have brought a small flashlight so we could avoid crushing them.

Room Tip: We loved our cabana #3 but I don't think there is a bad room on the island as they all have grea...
3  Thank Al_n_Val

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Staying at this place made us feel like we were the weekend guests of an extremely wealthy person; great cabin, great food, great service, etc. We would later learn that this property was actually developed by a very successful business man to give himself an island footprint in Belize and, on the altruistic side, employ citizens of the country. This means our instinct was dead on right! The best thing about it is that the lack of an overriding profit motive give us the deal of a lifetime (Bloomspot, I think) on a first class property.

2  Thank Cap'n_Crunchy
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We just left today, and I wanted to write this while everything was fresh in my mind:
This was by far the best vacation we've ever been on. We loved the island, the staff, and the adventures on the island.

We stayed on Hatchet Caye for 5 nights. It was supposed to be six, but rough seas left us in Placencia for our first night. No problem, Hatchet Caye put us in a lovely little B & B, Casa Placencia, and sent us for a great dinner at the Purple Space Monkey. What would have been our first morning on the island started with a nice boat ride from Placencia to Hatchet Caye. Upon arrival we were greeted by Rasta and welcome drinks boat side. Check in was a breeze! We walked to our room, and our luggage followed. Once in our room, we were asked to fill our the registration form and bring it to the restaurant when we were ready. No hassle!

Once we were settled in we were invited to enjoy breakfast-and did we. Every meal here is made perfectly. Most of the breakfast options are served with local fruits and are to die for. Lunches and dinners never disappointed either. There are about 7ish choices for each meal, with an additional dinner special every night. If you don't like seafood-there are limited options-but you can find something at each meal. We read on another review that the portions were small-but they were HUGE. I never finished a meal, and neither my husband or I were hungry between meals. We left stuffed every meal. There is a snack menu if you are hungary between lunch and dinner. We only took advantage of that once because we love the civiche so much we just had to have a little.

David, Andy and Juan will also whip you up a fabulous tropical drink, or serve you some fresh squeezed juice if your interested all day everyday. I am pregnant so they were wonderful about making sure I had a fun fruity non-alcoholic drink to enjoy.

Everyday we snorkeled, fished, took out the Hobie Cat, walked the island, played with the little dog, Jeffe, watched the eagle rays, and napped in our hammock. My husband also managed to get SCUBA certified while there. We felt like we packed so much into everyday-and were exhausted after dinner. We are a little bit on the adventurous side, so I was worried about being on an island for six days, but it was wonderful. We were never bored!

If you are interested the SCUBA is amazing here and they offer certification. Elroy, the instructor is awesome! Also don't miss the turtle tour. About 10 minutes off the island are the Silk Cayes. There are Lagerhead turtles and sting rays that are about the size of a child's swimming pool.

There is WIFI that works pretty well, but isn't strong enough for Facetime or Skype. We used our gmail accounts to make phone calls on Google. That worked pretty well. They also have movies and games available if you need a little entertainment.

The island is on solar power, and desalinates their own water along with harvesting rainwater. It is eco friendly without feeling like it. The showers were always hot, day or night. The water was pure and delicious. Again being pregnant, I was worried about water quality. No need here. We never had any issues with it. Even though on solar power, our airconditioner and all of our lights worked all night long. It was very cool to know they could run on their own power, and harvest their own water.

Bottom line: Best vacation ever! We don't know how we'll ever enjoy anywhere else as much. We are very much looking forward to coming back. The only suggestion we have is to ensure that the boaters who dock on and just off the island for a few hours stay on the more public parts of the island. We lost our hammock one day to a kid from one of the boats, and the chairs from our little beach to another couple from a boat.

We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Cabana 3 is the best! It has it's own little beach an a hammock just off the deck.
7  Thank KatieHunter
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We were a little worried when we saw the cloud of doom hanging over the island as we were approaching from Placencia. The rain started a few minutes after we arrived. But no problem. More time for relaxing in the beautiful room and hanging out at the bar with huge ice cream drinks. And snorkeling in the rain works just fine. You're wet anyway! They also kindly provide huge umbrellas.

On our first sunny morning, we visited the osprey nest, kayaked, paddleboarded, and snorkeled some more before the rain came back after lunch. We saw wonderful wildlife on the island, including herons, frigatebirds, and terns. Also a source of pride: the fluorescent lights under the dock attract dozens of eagle rays at night, a mesmerizing and eerie sight.

Our last full day before heading back, it was finally sunny all day. We were taken snorkeling with huge sea turtles, stingrays, and eagle rays. This was a highlight. Later in the afternoon, we went to the bar for another ice cream drink, but instead, Rasta kidnapped us for a little sunset sailing trip on one of their cute little catamarans.

The food is uniformly top-notch, and if you stay several days, you’ll have a chance to try most items on the menu. It leans heavily on seafood, including the Lionfish Grill’s namesake, which is deliciously incorporated into omelets, tacos, cakes, etc. You’ll see the staff fishing around the island during the day; the catch doesn’t get any fresher than this. If you don’t eat seafood, you may have a problem here.

4 days is about right for Hatchet Caye if you're a more active, type-A vacationer like us. Leave time to visit other parts of Belize. It's possible to do day tours to ruins and other sites on the mainland, but the mainland is at least an hour away by boat. It can be a long haul, in potentially rough seas, and getting to Xunantunich is a long bus ride on top of that.

One ding: it would be helpful if they clarified how tipping worked. We got a bar bill at the end and tipped on that, but we also wanted to tip Rasta, the housekeeper, the boat guys, the guys who obsessively rake the sand, etc. We ended up charging a bulk sum with Dasha in the office to split among all those people, but we're not sure if the amount we came up with was appropriate.

5  Thank Branden55
Reviewed December 18, 2012

What a great place! Our trip to Belize was the smoothest international travel we've ever had and the staff at Hatchet Caye certainly contributed to this experience. They arranged travel from Belize City to Placencia and then a boat ride out to the island, where we were met on the dock with drinks. We planned on spending our four days there just relaxing and maybe doing some snorkeling, but we did so much more: scuba (Fantastic! You have to do this! It was like being in an aquarium); snorkeling; kayaking; paddle boarding; drinking at the bar, in the restaurant, and around the island; star gazing; watching Spotted Eagle Rays; and lots of eating! The food here is amazing, but it did take a bit longer than we expected to be delivered. We didn't care though, and we used the time to identify fish and coral we saw snorkeling earlier in the books provided by Hatchet Caye. We were treated to a private dinner on our balcony, celebrating our one year anniversary. Our names were spelled out with leaves on the table decorated with conch shells, candles, and hibiscus flowers. These guys gave us 5-Star treatment! Belize and Hatchet Caye are definitely on our return list! The A/C in the room seemed to be either too cold or too warm and we never got it adjusted for comfortable sleeping. We woke up with the sun anyway and it wasn't a huge deal.

10  Thank Spudkik
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am long overdue on writing this review, as my wife and I honeymooned at Hatchet Caye and Placencia in March 2012. We stayed at Hatchet Caye for 4 nights and at Laru Beya Resort on the mainland for three nights. We booked through the LivingSocial Escape and had a very easy time booking through the travel agency that was the "middle man" for Hatchet Caye.

Once our flight arrived in Placencia, we were greeted by HC staff and had a very pleasant transfer to the boat and eventually the island. The staff even asked if we would like to stop at a local convenience store to get snacks and drinks to take on the island since the only food available is at the restaurant on the island.

We stayed in cabana #2, which is a duplex cabana that shares a wall with cabana #3. There were two other honeymooning couples with us that week, one of whom was in cabana #1, which is the only room that has its own building. I would obviously suggest that you reserve #1 for the privacy and larger porch if it is available. The room had plenty of room for two people and a very comfortably sized restroom (bigger than expected for this size room). The bed was very comfortable and the other furniture was acceptable but nothing to rave about. But at a place like this, you definitely wouldn't want to be sitting on a couch for any prolonged time.

If you're the type who likes to relax on their vacation, this place is great for you. If you're not happy inside your room, each cabana has a porch with deck furniture, which was great for reading and watching the sunset. Just down the steps from our porch was a hammock, and merely steps away was a boardwalk to a covered dock that has two hammocks and more deck furniture. At night, a black light is turned on under the dock where a spotted eagle ray would come visit every night. Definitely a cool thing to see.

If you're the type who can't sit still on vacation, this place is great for you, too. Unless you get bored easily, there is ALWAYS something to do on the island. My wife and I got snorkel equipment on day one and since the island wasn't full, we just kept it on our porch the whole trip. There was great snorkeling right off the same dock I mentioned earlier. We also did the snorkeling trip from the island and it was great. The reef is only a few minutes away from HC. We stopped at a fairly shallow place with no plant life that they called the "turtle spot." We did see a sea turtle from afar, but never found it or any other turtles again. However, once we got in the water, about 7-10 spotted eagle rays showed up. At first, a few of us were scared out of our minds, but after realizing that these rays were just minding their own business, it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had. The HC staff was great at calming us down and reassuring us that we were safe. We then went to the Silk Cayes and snorkeled all the way around that island. This was a perfect opportunity to see the brilliant colored reef area. We also saw: squid, lionfish, nurse shark, and all other types of tropical fish. The staff would always stop to tell us what we were seeing and were quick to answer any questions.

Other activities we enjoyed on the island included kayaking, paddle boats, swimming, a massage in the room (which was great), and an infamous Hobie Cat adventure. This small catamaran is great for beginners who want to learn sailing. We were having a great time with Rosta as he was teaching us how to work this thing. However, right as we were turing around to sail back to the island, one of the cables snapped and the mast and sail came tumbling down. My guess is that we were about 3/4 or a full mile away from the island. In what could have been a very stressful experience, Rosta was just like he always was - carefree, no worries. We eventually drifted back toward the island for about 30 minutes while we discussed beer preferences with Rosta until the bartender saw us through binoculars. The HC staff brought a boat out to us and towed us back to the island. Luckily, we got a good 30-45 minutes of sailing in before that happened, and now it makes for a great story. The staff was very apologetic and wanted to make sure we were okay, when in all seriousness, that might have actually made the experience more memorable.

The restaurant on the island is the only thing that I would say was not 10/10, and I would give it a 9/10. All of the tables are set up on a covered deck, which made for a great ambiance. While I wouldn't call myself a picky eater, I definitely like certain things more than others. My favorite dishes included the lionfish cakes and fresh fish. I didn't like EVERYTHING I tried off my wife's plate, but the things that I ordered and enjoyed were fantastic. Picky eaters beware - you may need to pack some pop tarts or peanut butter crackers. The drinks from the bar were all delicious - anything alcoholic did not taste so, which could be dangerous for some. Belikin beer is such a classic Belizian beer, one that I love to drink, although my "When in Rome" attitude for beer could be swaying this decision.

My last comment is that four nights was a perfect amount of time on the island. If you're planning a week-long vacation, I'd be careful to book HC for a full week unless you plan to dive/fish/snorkel multiple times. The island is so small (a good thing) and we were glad to be heading off to another adventure (along with our other honeymooning friends who we hung out with in Placencia our last night!). While we were on the mainland, we did the Monkey River tour, which was really cool. We were lucky on our way back to see a lot of manatee and the monkeys, crocs, birds, and traditional Monkey River lunch were all awesome.

Room Tip: Cabana #1 is the biggest, most private, and has the largest porch
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Stuart I
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had a great time during our stay. The staff were helpful and attentive. I have never been to a resort where they are so trusting with the snorkeling equipment and wetsuits. They were very casual and didn't have any formal check in/Check out process. The only complaint or area of improvement that is needed is that it takes a very long time for the chef to get the food out. You can plan on being there for at least 1hr for breakfast and lunch and upwards of 2hrs for dinner. This was okay for us, but if you are wanting a quick meal, I am not sure that is possible. I think if they had additional kitchen staff or more prep completed before it would help.
The water is beautiful and the snorkeling is great! Lots of variety of sea life. Make sure to go out to the dock by cabana 1 at night to see all of the eagle rays swimming around.

Room Tip: They do not have a fitness center.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends