“WOW!!”

Hatchet Caye Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a different type of vacation other than our normal trip to Mexico and we sure did find it. I'm not quite sure what I can say that hasn't already been said but I'll give it a try......

From the beginning dealing with Dasha was a pleasure so I knew right away this vacation was going to be good, but didn't really know how good. Antonio, Andy, Chris, Phil, Fagan, Rasta, John and the many more made this a wonderful experience. I was worried my husband wouldn't like the small menu since he has a big appetite, but everything was wonderful and the portions were really nice. If your reading other reviews about needing to bring snacks, don't waste the space in your luggage. We did bring snacks, but never ate one thing and gave them to Andy so we didn't have to bring back home.

The snorkling was great right off the pier! We went out in the paddleboat, Rasta gave my husband a refresher course in sailing and the fishing was really good off the boat dock. The hammocks were heavenly. Oh and let's not forget the Belikin beer at the bar............

We did get dressed for dinner each night, but we spent everyday/all day in bathing suits so I wouldn't worry about bringing a bunch of clothes for the day.

We stayed in Cabana #2 the first night (due to our scheduling) and moved to Cabana #1 the "Honeymoon Cabana" for the remaining 5 nights. Both were very nice and I wouldn't have a problem staying in either one again, Cabana #1 is a single room and the rest are duplex style.

Our overall experience was wonderful and we have already scheduled our return for next summer. Thanks again to Dasha and her entire staff for making our trip awesome and hope to see Antonio and Andy on our return.

Room Tip: Cabana #1 "Honeymoom Cabana" is a single cabana, the rest are duplex . We stayed in both...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BRLA225
There are newer reviews for Hatchet Caye Resort

Reviewed September 9, 2012

my family was looking for a place to quickly get into vacation mode for the Labor Day long weekend. Hatchet Caye delivered! The fun even began with a cessna airplane ride and then a 45 minute boat ride to the island, what a blast! We enjoyed a tour first and then a dip in the pool, a cozy nap in the airconditioning, and more relaxing in the pool. dinner was fantastic with anything from seafood to hamburgers (and my personal favorite, the loaded nachos!) Then to top it off we saw ten eagle rays at night under blacklights off the pier!

that was the first afternoon! already in vacation mode :)

saturday we snorkled right off the same pier, best snorkling around, right out our backdoor! lunch and a nap and the paddleboating!

sunday was filled with fishing snorkling napping swimming paddle boarding . . . and cant list everything we did

we'll be back!

Room Tip: cant go wrong as all eight rooms over look the ocean!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mckinleypritchard
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We spent a night moored at Hatchet Caye resort and absolutely fell in love with the place. The staff is warm and inviting, everyone we met seemed to love their job. We had cocktails and appetizers in what must be the most spectacular outdoor bar in all of Belize. It is worth a stop just to see the beautiful open-aired structure.

The chips were so different that the second day we asked for the secret and then we made sure to purchase the spice before we left Belize so we can recreate a small taste of Hatchet Caye. I would definitely stay there if we were not on a catamaran again. Until next time my new friends....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank happyvalleymom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The title of the review says it all - what could be better than six days at Hatchet Caye? In my estimation, NOTHING!

This vacation was a chance for my son and I to get away for a father and son getaway. A father and son trip had been promised to him since he was three years old, and he chose a vacation in Belize to fish, snorkel, swim, eat, relax, and spend some time with his dad. He couldn't have made a better destination choice!

Hatchet Caye is really a place where lifetime memories are made and exquisite cuisine and superb service are the norm. How can you go wrong? You can't at Hatchet Caye.

From the time we booked our trip with Dasha Shivers, the general manager of the resort, I knew we'd be in for a real treat. Dasha's prompt and insightful communication eased our fears about traveling to a foreign country, much less to a remote island 18 miles off the mainland. Landing in Belize City was an eye opener - who would have known that you could exit the back of plane and walk on the tarmac to catch the commuter plane to Placencia. Completely different than the stringent security measures in place in the United States. The flight to Placencia was an added bonus. Some previous reviews have pointed out that this was not a particular highlight of their trip. My son and I appreciated the opportunity to fly in a 12 seat plane - we got to see the pilot at work, had great views of the sea and land below us, and it added to the total ambiance of the trip.

Landing, transfer to the taxi and then to the boat to the island was seamless. Elroy, affectionately known as "Baa Baa", was a gentleman and resort history and culture scholar. The ride to the island was not for the faint of heart - the sea was choppy, but that simply cannot be controlled by resort staff. If you have had motion sickness in the past, a form of Dramamine would be in order for you. The sea is a fickle beast so you take what you get. But here again, the ride to the island added to the overall experience.

As we approached the island I felt like I was being transported back in time to the television show Fantasy Island. I was hoping to see Mr. Rourke and Tattoo, but certainly could not complain when we were greeted by two very hospitable resort staff members who whisked us off to our cabana, delivered our luggage, and made "check-in" (there really isn't such a thing at Hatchet Caye) painless. On the way to our cabana, my 15 year old son said, "Dad, I think I'm really going to like it here!"

The cabana accommodations are wonderful - tastefully decorated, well appointed, and more than adequate for a stay on a tropical island where seaside activities beckon you. Sharmaine, the housekeeper, was absolutely meticulous in her work. The towels and sheets smelled better than anything we've experienced - even in our own home. She must have had a private eye watching us because we NEVER saw her entering or leaving our cabana, but when we returned we knew she had worked her magic! We appreciated the fact that the hot water is supplied by solar panels on top of the cabana and when you took your cabana key out of the holder, power to the cabana was shut down several moments after you left. This is green technology at its best! For a full explanation and tour of the green technology on the island, be sure to ask Rasta - he's a wealth of knowledge and has been with the resort since its inception.

A few previous reviewers have taken aim at the cuisine on the island - not enough variety, not filling enough, etc. I'd like to here and now debunk those notions. We NEVER left the Lionfish Grill with an empty stomach - in fact, on numerous occasions we left stuffed to the gill! There is an afternoon appetizer menu for those who want something to tie them over until dinner, but we never took advantage of that luxury. The menu is diverse in it's offerings and we found ourselves challenging our American tastebuds to try things "outside the box." The chef who worked our week was five star - taste and presentation were delectable and visually appealing. Our waiter, Antonio, was top notch - can't say enough good things about him. Always very friendly and inviting, even at 7 a.m. in the morning and at 9 p.m. at night. You couldn't ask for a better service! If Antonio is your waiter, and provides outstanding service (as he will), make sure you take care of him!

Activities on the island are plentiful from sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing or lounging in a hammock outside of your cabana while reading a book. A nap out on the main pier in one of the two hammocks there is a "don't miss" treat. If you prefer an escape from the island, the resort offers a variety of excursions. My son and I went on a snorkeling trip with Baa Baa and Rasta (a real rush to snorkel in the Peaceable Kingdom - aka - the sea - with nurse sharks, giant sea turtles, and other sea life) and had a great time! Baa Baa took us on a half-day fishing charter and we caught barracuda, king mackeral, and rooster fish. Baa Baa and Rasta prepared our catch of the day and took it to the chef who then created two exquisite meals for us. If you haven't ever eaten barracuda before, don't let the ugly looks of that fish fool you - it is a scrumptious meal! If you want a taste of Belizean culture, inquire with Dasha to find out when you might be able to take a boat ride with Baa Baa back to the mainland to experience the people and ambiance of Placencia. Great shopping and a fantastic cultural immersion experience. Be sure to stop by the Treasure Box on the main drag - Kaj, the owner, creates beautiful, affordable native jewelery. She also has some of her work in the resort's gift shop. A freebie that is not to be missed is a trip with Rasta on the Hobie Cat to Fisherman's Caye - not far from the resort, but something you don't want to miss, especially if you're looking to take a few conch shells home.

Make sure you visit the Crow's Nest, especially in the morning as the sun is rising, and in the evening as the sun is setting. You'll get incredible views of the entire island and surrouding saphhire and emerald waters. One thing I wish I had done was enlist Sharmaine's masseuse services - you have the option of having a massage in the Crow's Nest and that would have been a one-of-a-kind experience.

This vacation with my son was out of this world. As we were leaving the resort on our final morning, my mind raced through all of the wonderful memories my son and I had made and the world class staff we got to know. A few tears were shed as we pulled away in the boat, but we knew it was not "good bye" but "farewell." We couldn't have picked a better place to spend time together. We couldn't have found a better staff willing to meet our every whim. We couldn't have eaten better meals. Hatchet Caye IS the place to go! We will be returning, hopefully within the next calendar year and look forward to seeing the new friends we made. Thanks, Dasha, Antonio, Baa Baa, Rasta, Sharmaine, Carlos and crew for making our visit unforgettable!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank ScottL720
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A wonderful resort with friendly personal, excellent accomidations and a great mixture of relaxation and aquadic activities. I planned to stay 3 days but extended the stay to 4 and wish I could have stayed longer. I will be going backs. Thanks guys...well done.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank chris w
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Like the last reviewer, I was watching and waiting for updated reviews. I found the reviews to be helpful and realistic. I hope mine is, too. We got the Living Social deal for 6 nights.

As others have said, getting there is a little tricky. We had problems even getting out of Houston, due to weather and had to stay overnight. Dasha was very accommodating and let us extend our original dates for the day we missed.

We found Belize City Airport to be a little "shady" (this was our first trip out of the country, so maybe not that bad to some who are more well-traveled). The Maya Air flight stops in 3 places; last stop, Placencia. That surprised me, as no one had mentioned that before. The flight did only last 30-45min, but you take off and land several times. There is air blowing on you in the plane, but it was not what I would call, "air conditioned". The flight was pleasant, but a little hot and sticky in July, since the plane was full.

Walter, their taxi driver, picked us up from the Placencia airport and was very nice. We had to wait in Placencia for the boat to take us to the island, and we were told we only had 45 min, so we ate some chips and salsa and had a couple of beers at the Barefoot Bar. When we arrived back to the boat dock at the appointed time (we were told "sharp"), we still had to wait another 30 min for the boat. Not trying to be a complainer, but if they had given us the correct time, we could've had another beer and not sat in the HOT sun for 30 minutes. Also, we were just really anxious to get there...they did give us some cold water.

The boat ride was nice, we did get a few sprays from the choppy water, but I was expecting this and it was refreshing to me. I would say, not to expect the boat ride to take an hour, and be pleasantly surprised if it only takes an hour. Fagan was our captain and he was a little difficult to understand, at first, but once we got used to his accent we could understand him. He talks fast! He was very informative and I liked him quite a bit.

When we arrived on the island, Carlos greeted us with fresh squeezed juice and cool washcloths infused with mint. It was very refreshing and made us feel special. He then escorted us to our room. We pretty much headed straight to the bar, where we spent the majority of our time!

Food and drinks were great! I had read in a previous review that people wanted snacks, so we brought some of our own, but we never ate them. There was plenty to eat at every meal, so much so that I don't think I ever finished all the food on a plate put in front of me, I thought it might be skimpy, since it is all inclusive, but not so. I also hesitated to eat chicken and the hamburger on the lunch menu, since we were on an island, but by the 4th day, I was craving meat and ordered the hamburger. It was surprisingly delicious! All the food was good and I don't think there was anything I didn't like. The fresh fruit and juices were the best I have ever had in my life! Andy was our bartender most of the time, and he also played the drums for us in the evening after dinner, until his drum broke :( He was pleasant and low key (leaving us alone when we just wanted to relax, but attentive when we needed him.)

We stayed in Cabana 1 (Honeymoon cabana) for 5 nights and also Cabana 2 for one night. Both were comfortable, but I preferred the bathroom in Cabana 2, as it had an actual bathtub, windows that closed, and more counter space. The bathroom in Cabana 1 had windows that did not shut completely, so we ended up shutting the bathroom door to keep the room cool. No one was staying in the room next to us, so I couldn't tell if you would be able to hear people in the room next to you as others had mentioned. Views from both Cabana's were amazing!

Snorkeling around the island was great and was the best off the pier/dock, though on the last day, I saw and was stung by a Moon Jellyfish. We did the sea turtle snorkel with Fagan and we saw only one sea turtle, a ray, and a few nurse sharks, but that was okay with us.

Everywhere you look on the island, there is beauty. It is really indescribably gorgeous. The staff are constantly taking care of the grounds and cleaning the beach. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We got an in-room massage from Shar (the housekeeper, also), and it was very nice and relaxing. She does a good job!

Activities: As I mentioned, you can snorkel pretty much anywhere on the island, they are well stocked with gear, but we brought our own. Frank took us out on the Hobie cat and it was so much fun! The staff is anxious to help or teach you to do all the things at the activities center.

Tipping/billing: They have you sign your bill at the end of the day it's Belize dollars, so its about twice as much as US dollars. Dasha explained to us that the tips on that bill are split 60/40 with bartender and kitchen and they have you review the bill so you know how much to tip. We did what others had done and stopped by Dasha's office on the last day to leave tips for staff (like Shar) who had helped us, etc.

Some people pull up in boats to stay on the island, and one group came while we were there who had young children and a baby. We thought it was not appropriate for children, especially a baby. We could hear the baby crying one night, and I am pretty sure they were in a cabana far away from us.

You really get to know the staff and other guests staying on the island, but no one was too intrusive. Another review mentioned that they felt hounded to book extra excursions, etc., but that NEVER happened to us. Staff would mention trips available and there was a place to sign up, but we never had anyone come to our room unannounced.

We found ourselves on "island time" pretty quickly, and for us that meant going to bed fairly early and waking up early. I think, due to the sunshine in the room. Not complaining, though.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip and I wholeheartedly recommend Hatchet Caye to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation and pampered service!

Room Tip: Cabana 1 was close to everything and private. Other cabanas are duplexes, but Cabana 2 had a better...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank SMTBL14
Reviewed July 19, 2012

A small preface: this review is going to be long. See, I'm one of those people who almost obsessively reads Trip Advisor reviews on places for upcoming trips--- refreshing the Trip Advisor page right up until I leave for the airport. Why do I have this compulsion? I don't know, but hopefully someone else out there is a bit like me and will enjoy a ridiculously detailed review.

The short: Hatchet Caye is an absolutely phenomenal island where you are going to feel like you own the place. The entire staff knows you, there are only a few other guests around, the setting is stunning, and the accommodations are top notch.

The long: if it hadn't been for Living Social, I'd have never known that Hatchet Caye even existed. Every other group at the island also had the Living Social deal, so it's safe to say that Living Social was a fabulous advertising coup for Hatchet Caye. Anyway, the deal was: free transportation to the resort, 4 nights in cabana, all inclusive of meals (but not booze), and a free snorkel tour -- all for two people for $1599. While we originally hesitated to pull the trigger because that number seems a bit high for only 4 nights, we ultimately went with it because the resort had amazing reviews on Trip Advisor and it was all inclusive. After spending time on Hatchet Caye, I'd say that $1599 was a screaming deal.

We had originally booked 5 nights in the jungle (at the wonderful Maruba resort, which I've also already reviewed) and decided to add a beach resort at the end of our trip when we saw the Living Social deal. If you also want to do the jungle like we did, I highly suggest doing it before coming to Hatchet Caye-- you'll want to rest after all that adventuring, trust me.

**Getting to the island: before we got to Belize, I knew we were going to have to take a commuter plane from Belize City to Placencia, but it wasn't until a gate agent walked us out to the plane to board that I quite understood what I had gotten myself into. Maya Air was wonderful, but my friend and I were the only people other than the pilot on our tiny, slightly turbulent 12 person plane. The flight was only about 30 minutes or so, but I think my heart was in my throat the entire time. Call me a chicken, but I just wasn't prepared for a tiny plane with propellers that bops up and down in the clouds. The pilot and airline did a wonderful job, so any issues were entirely in my head, but I was definitely a little freaked out. For what it's worth, Dasha, the manager at Hatchet Caye, said it's about a 3 hour drive from Belize City to Plancencia for folks who are afraid of flying, so that's something to consider. Personally, even with the fear, I'd still fly, but that's mostly because the Belizean roads aren't exactly calm either!

Once you get to Plancencia, a taxi driver from Hatchet Caye picks you up from the airport in his van and takes you over to the Hatchet Caye office/ dock. We had an hour, so we grabbed lunch at the Purple Space Monkey, then walked back over. We were then loaded up onto a speed boat and off we went. Now, this is supposed to be about a 45 minute journey, but on the day we got there, the waves were pretty choppy, so it ended up taking us over an hour and a half to get to the island. One of the engines on the boat actually broke from slamming into some of the waves and for the duration of our trip, that boat was out of service. When we arrived at the island, I was soaking wet (literally) from crashing waves. Our trip back to the mainland was completely different- quick, smooth, and dry. So, maybe we just were unlucky. I did hear though that Hatchet Caye is looking into getting a float plane, which would be pretty cool.

When we arrived at the island, I was surprised that our check in process was just them walking us right to our cabana. No credit card or signing or anything. When you get to your room, there's a little slip they ask you to fill out and drop with the bartender when you get a chance. That's it. Seamless.

**The Cabana/ Room: Now, here's the cool thing about Hatchet Caye-- there's never really going to be more than 16 visitors on the island at a time because there are only 8 rooms. In fact, I heard while there that there is almost always more staff on the island than visitors. Cabin 1 is the honey moon cottage- it's closest to the restaurant and bar (though not right next to it or anything) and is the only completely free standing cottage. Cabin 1 is also right next to the long dock that has the best reefs to snorkel in and at night is lit up with special lights to attract eagle rays. The rest of the cabins (save for Cabin 8) are set two to a building-- so, we were in cabin 2, which shares a wall with cabin 3 (same building), then a ways away is the next building which houses cabins 4 and 5. And so on. While the shared walls may be a concern for some, we really didn't hear anything from the folks next door to us.

The cabins themselves are awesome. Each and every cabin has a phenomenal ocean view, as well as a beautiful deck outside and huge windows inside to enjoy that view. The deck has really great patio furniture if you feel like sitting outside. Inside, the room is spacious, tastefully decorated, and comfortable. Each room has a sitting area with a TV, DVD player, and Nintendo Wii. While there are dvds and games at the resort, I suggest bringing your own because it's always nice to have a better supply.

The bathrooms of the cabins are particularly nice-- a spacious shower, lots of cabinets, great finishes, just very lux and comfortable.

**The food: as I mentioned, we had an all inclusive package, though the island does offer a non inclusive option if that's what you're looking for. Every meal at Hatchet Caye was great. Their chef was a 19 year old kid, but man! That kid can cook. To put this in perspective: I don't even eat seafood (so 80% of the menu was off limits to me), but every single meal I was full and happy. Take for example the chicken parm they offer for dinner. I thought to myself, "I'm on an island. In Belize. These people are clearly not Italian!" and yet the chicken parm was literally some of the best I've ever had (and I'm Italian).

**The bar: Antonio is an amazing bartender and jack of all trades--- he cashes people out, arranges tours, and helps take photos for their Facebook page, too! Most importantly though, Antonio makes awesome drinks. I had more frufru blended things in those 5 days than I've ever had in one week, but each and every one of them was absolutely delicious-- heavy pours, not overly sweet, complex flavors, just great.

**Activities: the resort offers all kinds of tours back on the mainland, but because had just come from the jungle, we decided to park ourselves on the island. The only scheduled activity we did was the snorkel tour with Elroy ("Captain") and Rasta-- a tour which you absolutely most do if you're at Hatchet Caye. You get into the boat and shoot off from the island deeper into the ocean for 5 or 10 minutes. Then the boat stops in the middle of nowhere, you plop yourself into the ocean, and you are instantly surrounded by a wealth of sea life. Seriously, it was amazing. Tons of rays, nurse sharks, fish, and giant sea turtles swimming up against you. I've been all over the world and this was hands down the best snorkeling I've ever done. I'm already planning to go back to swim with whale sharks!

Otherwise, we spent our time laying out on the beach or snorkeling at the island. If you jump off the main dock, there is coral EVERYWHERE-- and amazing coral! It's bright and full of really neat fish. At one point, I jumped in and there had to have literally been hundreds of thousands of fish around me-- tons, just every direction I looked there was a literal WALL of fish. It was so neat.

On the same dock, at night, they have these really almost eerie purple lights that attract the eagle rays. It is so cool to sit out there and watch the rays slowly skim the surface in wide circles. Each night, there were no less than 5-10 rays, gliding away under the moon. Just an amazing natural sight.

The island does also have paddle boards and kayaks and all kinds of fun stuff that you can use free of charge. They also have tons of snorkel equipment that you can use, plus they offer scuba stuff.

The Staff: it's worth noting that the staff at Hatchet Caye is just wonderful. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and has answers to any questions you may have.

The camaraderie: Probably the coolest thing about Hatchet Caye is that because it's so small, everyone knows each other. All of the guests end up hanging out and becoming fast friends. If you're looking to not talk to other people, you may want to just actually rent your own island :).

In the end: like I said, I'm already trying to figure out if I can make it April or May of 2013 to swim with the whale sharks-- but if I can't, I'll be there in 2014. I've been back a week and I'm already planning my next trip!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends