“Tough customer” 5 of 5 bubbles

Above Grounds Coffee
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Placencia
Cuisines: Cafe, International
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Description: Above Grounds Coffee has established a direct connection with small independent farmers in Guatemala. Hand-picked, processed & roasted by small family operations. Their 100% mountain grown and 100% Arabica coffee beans are shade grown, hand-picked and then processed to organic standards. All fields meet elevation requirements for Strictly Hard Bean (SHB) grade and some meet the Fancy (F) grade. These two top grades (Fancy and SHB) total less than 2.5% off all coffee produced globally!
“Tough customer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Having spent much of my adult life in San Francisco, I am an unabashed coffee snob. When I visited Above Grounds, I was skeptical. Sure, the atmosphere was unique and memorable -- this, I expected. But I was surprised to find that I'd put this cappuccino up against 90% of those anywhere. I was also pleased to find that it was "cool" (in Belizian terms) upstairs.

1 Thank mmfrankee

London, United Kingdom
“Above Grounds, Above Average...exceeding above and beyond my expectations!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

A new addition to the Peninsula, it wasn't there on a previous trip in 2011. And i have to say what a delightful surprise it was to bump into this Coffee shop whilst on a stroll in Placencia village this year.

Firstly, I have to say I was so impressed with the clever play on words..'coffee grounds, grounds of coffee, the shop is in a hut above the ground....get it?' So clever!!! I was completely sold on the name and drawn in, in an instant..(get it, in an instant? Instant coffee?.....i'll quit while i'm ahead!!! ;) Swiftly moving on.....

So along with my companions one other, who like me is a coffee fanatic...we went in. Firstly you walk down a little path covered by overgrowth, loved this....then climbed the wooden stairs into the hut, it felt as though we were in a tree-house, so peaceful and chilled.

We went straight to the lady stood behind the counter and read the coffee menu and I have to say this where it becomes above average...not only is the setting perfect and the name of course but the menu is a delight to behold. I was expecting a very simple menu and to be honest not a proper espresso machine as two years before there wasn't a coffee shop in Placencia but this place had it all offering latte, cappuccino, espresso etc as well as offering soya milk and flavourings (vanilla etc) and yes there was a proper espresso machine...so naughty me for thinking they weren't with the times because they certainly were!!! So we ordered our beverages and a cheeky slice of banana bread(couldn't resist) and took a seat.

There were seats inside as well as seats on the balcony which is where we chose to sit among the trees, you're in Belize after all.

Drinks were perfect and so was the banana bread, it was a really lovely place to sit with friends to chill and chat and take in the culture around us. I have to say I left feeling so happy to have gone to this delightful place and I hope upon my return in the not too distant future it has gone from strength to strength...get it, strength, as in the strength of the coffee??? okay, so maybe now i'm going too far!!

But seriously, you'd mad not to hit the ground running and head to this above average hidden treasure by any beans necessary...you see what I did there? I really must stop!!! :|

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank sam_solomon13
Placencia, Belize
“favorite favorite coffee house!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I live here in Placencia and go to Above grounds daily! great coffee and great company! It's a very nice hang out spot. Keith gets his coffee directly from the farmers in Antigua Guatemala. I actually went and visited the place where he gets it! http://www.asgreenasitgets.org/. It support sustainable economic development and includes direct trade with the farmers. Not to mention the coffee is AMAZING!!! When you buy your coffee here you are directly supporting Guatemalan farmers!

2 Thank Placenciamassage
Placencia, Belize
“Best place to get your morning Mojo on.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

If you're looking for the Authentic Belizean Coffee experience, go here. We found the most extensive list of Belizean coffee grown locally, and they have wifi. The staff is always pleasant and friendly.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank BernardBarbour
Placencia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A place to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great coffee, iced chocolate, bagels, staff, if you need a minute to relax and gather your thoughts this is it!

1 Thank John H