“Purple Monkey River”

The Purple Space Monkey Bar & Grill
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fun and funky in the daytime, with fresh, light lunch options and a family vibe, in the evening gourmets can indulge their individual tastes with Executive Chef Rick Labonte's World menu based on local and organic ingredients and savours, often with a trademark twist. Our attentive staff will make your romantic, celebration or large group dining pleasure their priority, from presentation through to great service. Right in the centre of downtown Placencia, over from the ball-field, our airy and open-plan dining room and smaller terraces are perfect for people-watching or that intimate dinner-for-two...while the superbly-stocked bar will fix everything from beers through fine wines to exotic or Caribbean cocktails...
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This restaurant was excellent. The choice whilst broad was not overwhelming, the service was personal without being intrusive, the bar had a few patrons but did not feel unwelcoming to me and the teenage daughter.
We ordered the lobster ceviche special as well as shrimp fritters for appetizers. They came out shortly and were the right start to the best meal we have had in Belize. The lobster tasted of the ocean and in each bite I could feel it swaying with the ocean currents as it made its way into the lobster pot. The shrimp fritters were unlike any I have had. In a very good way. Teenager ordered fish and chips and got fish so fresh it seemed like it was born in its batter and swam right into the fryer. The coleslaw and fries did not disappoint either. My shrimp and spicy tomato sauce fettucine was just what the doctor ordered. With a nice sprinkle of treshly shaved parmesan I set about polishing the plate.

We both tried and failed. It did not help that we had worked on some ice cream and gelato, as well as John the Bakerman's cinnamon bun on our way to dinner. We agreed to call this one with the intention of a rematch and walked away arms laden with leftovers.

This is not a restaurant to walk by, but one to walk into.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I did not put this place on my list of must visit places based on low trip advisor reviews but the food was solid if not exceptional. Lobster fritters were yummy and the jerk chicken quesadilla was very tasty. It has a good location and a relaxing vibe. Perfect place for a cold Belikin on a hot day. Would definitely visit again on another trip to Belize.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our group stopped here for lunch mostly because many of our other choices were closed. That being said, like other reviews, I'm surprised this place isn't ranked higher on the list. It wasn't necessarily over the top amazing, but we had good food and service. We ordered salads, ceviche, quesadillas and the special which was grilled hogfish and veggies....all very good. Most restaurants in the area only have snapper, so this was a nice change. My husband did ask the server if he could switch the hogfish to be on a sandwich, which was a little difficult to get her to agree to do something off the menu, but he finally convinced her. Another neat thing they will do for you is if you go out on a fishing trip and bring your own fish in, they will prepare it for you in any of their dishes at a deep discount of the menu price. That's a great thing to get to enjoy your catch while on vacation! Overall, it was good food and we would recommend!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stopped by here just out of chance and I can not believe it is not ranked much higher..We ate there 2 dinners while in Placencia. Great menu for everyone....even the super picker eaters in our group were VERY pleased! As a vegetarian I found numerous options that were all great! The Cadillac drink is potent!!! Wow...only one drink is needed with that one! The place is beautiful, very clean and friendly staff!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Great place to have a drink, very cool vibe, it reminded me of Bali. Owned by a British fellow who likes to wear high colourful socks! LOL Good food, delish spring rolls