“Best Meal of our Life!”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Best Meal of our Life!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that we did not eat at the restaurant but rather had a private dinner, made by Gunther, in our room at the Grand Caribe. When we arrived at our resort we were pleased to find that our parents had arranged for my wife and I to have this private 5 course meal for our 1 year anniversary. Our parents worked with the hotel/Mathieu's to come up with a completely custom menu for us for the night.

On the night of the dinner Gunther and Ana arrived on time and had the food coming out in no time. Ana was essentially the server and Gunther did all of the cooking in our kitchen. Each course was simply amazing! The way the food was presented as well as cooked simply blew us away! From the potato pancake/salmon appetizer to the main course of a surf and turf for me and spinach ravioli for my wife.

This dinner took place near the end of our trip so we had already dined at many of the top rated restaurants on the island including: hidden treasure, wild mango, caprice, capricorn, red ginger. While the restaurants I mentioned were good none of them came close to what Gunther did. He is simply the best chef on the island. I highly recommend paying Mathieu's a visit and inquiring about a private dinner. My wife and I will definitely be watching to see if and when he opens a full scale restaurant on the island.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Ryan M
MathieusDeli, Owner at Mathieu's Delicatessen, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Ryan

Sorry for the time it's taken to write back to you and thank you for your amazing review - we wanted to let you know that we have moved our business down the coast to Placencia. Gunter is now running the bakery and Deli at Robert's Grove Beach Resort - a premier resort where he is able to showcase his creativity on a larger scale. We do hope that you will visit us sometime in the future - maybe when you plan your anniversary! It was a great pleasure to meet you both, and we wish you the best in your life together!
Anna & Gunter

Florida
“Best Bakery on San Pedro!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We ate here a few times during our two weeks on San Pedro and ordered several items from the bakery. The lunch sandwiches were really yummy. We bought a baguette the first day and it was great. The next day we ordered the apple breakfast bread and the lavender sunflower bread. The apple bread was stuffed with apples and cinnamon and was divine. We couldnt stop eating it. The lavender sunflower seed bread was still warm when we picked it up. We rushed home and broke it open and what a treat! It mad e the whole kitchen smell of lavender and with butter it tasted heavenly. The next week we ordered banana bread and it was awesome!!!! .The heavy loaf was full of bananas and was soooooo good for breakfast topped with peanut butter!!! A real treat.

The owners were very friendly. We wil definately be returning on our next trip!!

• Visited June 2012
Charlotte, NC
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband ate here for breakfast a few times during our stay on Ambergris Caye. The breakfast sandwiches are great. The bread and baked goods are even better!! The owner is super friendly and gave us lots of recommendations for dinner spots too. I highly recommend heading to Mathieu's.

Visited April 2012
Lutz, Florida
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

No frills, simply delicious food. Wonderful bread. I highly reccommend this as a quick breakfast stop! The orange juice is super fresh too!

Visited May 2012
Fishkill, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding Cooking and Exemplary Service”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was searching for an excellent place for breakfast and I decided to try this place after I read some of the reviews and it happened to be steps from our hotel, the Phoenix Resort. It is a small local bakery with only 2 tables for seating which was the only drawback. Nonetheless it has the most the most delightful people running the place, Ana and Gunter, a husband and wife team. They treated us like family and he invited my kids into the kitchen to show them how to make pasta from scratch. Mathieu's has freshly made breads and pastries each day which are the best in the island. Their mango donut was divine ! Many of the top hotels in Ambegris Caye and even in Belize have them supply their breakfasts and lunches and cater events.

We returned several times for breakfast and for lunch as well. I was even more impressed by their lunch. Their specials are made with the catch of the day and I had shrimp with pasta which was light and flavorful. Although their menu is limited since it is a small place, the food was unparalled. They were extremely accomodating and even tailored some of the dishes to meet my picky kids. On one occasion Gunter offered my kids a strawberry dessert gratis which was devoured by my kids in seconds. It is not something on the menu but something I believe he had whipped up earlier in the day and offered to them. Again the dessert was simply superb - simple, fresh and not overly sweet. I only hope they will consider offering this on their menu in the future.

Even though they were extremely busy with numerous calls for orders, Ana took her time to speak to me and the kids and explain some great activities for the kids on San Pedro including a tour of a local chocolate factory which she kindly arranged for us. Gunter proceeded to take both my 5 year old son and 10 year old daughter on a tour of the upstairs where they are making a more formal restaurant and introduce them to a neighboring cockatoo. I have no doubt that this new restaurant will be quite a success given their use of fresh local ingredients, excellent cuisine, and attention to their guests. Many of the restaurants on the island and hotels could learn some valuable lessons about exemplary customer service from them. I only wish I could find a bakery such as this one here in the New York area.

I can not say enough about Mathieu's. It is well worth several visits for the food as well as the hosts. My kids continue to rave about the food and my son is particularly looking forward to return as an apprentice to Gunter when he is older. I highly recommend that you stop at Mathieu's as soon as you arrive - in addition to the food, their insights and tips on the island were invaluable and could not be matched by even the best hotel staff. Any questions please feel free to contact me at wilmington02@msn.com

-Kathy