“Best on the peninsula”
other travelers have booked this property
Front of Home from Street Gate Private Pool at rear of house
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Front of Home from Street Gate
Private Pool at rear of house
Downstairs Living room
Second Floor Second Master Bedroom, Queen Bed Facing Caribbean
Bathroom for Second Master Bedroom
Second Floor Bedroom, Single over Full Bunk Bed
Downstairs Front Bedroom with Queen Bed
Downstairs Bedroom facing pool with queen bed
Second Story Balcony facing Caribbean
Patio
Patio including Gas Grill
Patio adjacent to pool
Aerial View, Tipsy Gecko house furthest Left
Waterfall in local area
sunset over large 150 foot pier with palapa and swim deck
Recent Wedding on Pier Palapa
If you are looking to relax, this is the spot
Private Pool behind house
View of rear of house from pier
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Scott M
Annapolis, Maryland
“Best on the peninsula”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

My wife and I stayed at VTG for two weeks in July 2013 as one of four couples and always had plenty of room on this scenic property. All of the bedrooms were very comfortable and the bathrooms all had very large tiled showers. The kitchen was very conducive to cooking for large groups, and we all ate together at the house often. No matter how many people were in the house, there always seemed to be a quiet corner available somewhere to slip away for reading a book. The pavilion at the end of the pier got daily use from our group. The hammocks and chairs out there are the best for spending a few hours relaxing. We even did some snorkeling right there at the house when the water was calm. The golf cart was a huge plus. We used it daily for grocery shopping and restaurant trips. The caretakers Javier and Mabelle were always gracious and helpful. Mabelle visited every day to clean and do laundry. I cannot overstate how valuable this was. We ended up not using many of the clothes we packed just because it was so convenient having them washed for us. It would not have been an easy task to load up and head to the village laundry. We had zero problems with the air conditioning and zero problems with security. The pool offered a great way to cool off when it got hot, or when we were ready to relax at the end of the day after an excursion. It also has an underwater spotlight that changes colors at night; we all thought that was a pretty neat addition. Bed linens and pillows were even more comfortable than the ones at home. The furniture was all very well kept and comfortable; not second hand beach house rental furniture. It was easy to see after 2 weeks that we may have had the nicest house on the peninsula. There were one or two others that looked like they might stack up, but we all agreed that we wouldn’t have changed a thing about our selection. David and Kathy were very helpful setting up the local air travel for us (seemed like the prop planes were almost always late; we would’ve been there in the same amount of time and seen some great scenery if we drove down from Belize City), and our security deposit was returned quickly, and in full. The kayaks and snorkeling equipment they provided at the house were of great quality, and we enjoyed it all. We drank the water (and the ice from the helpful ice machine!) and had no issues. I usually never consider going back to the same place, since there is still so much world left to see, but I will definitely give some serious thought to bringing the kids back to VTG. We miss this place already!

Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2013 for a stay in March 2013
person found this review helpful

A romantic getaway Older travelers
StenaJoy
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Home away from home, Beautiful”
Reviewed August 17, 2012 for a stay in May 2012

We traveled with 10 people (4 adults, 1 teenager, 2 ten y/o's, 1 seven y/o, and 1five y/o. Everyone said the Typsy Gecko was a perfect place to stay. Javier and Mabelle (live in caretakers) go above and beyond their job descriptions. Their goal is to provide you with your perfect stay. The house itself is perfect, beautiful, safe, comfortable, and gave us all space to enjoy each others company, but enough room to have alone time. The yard/pier is post card worthy. My husband's favorite spot was the hammock on the pier. The ocean water was wonderful. The kids were swimming at 6am amd were not freezing(we are from North Idaho, so this is an annomoly for us).

Do take enormouse amounts of sun screen! Take many different forms, stick, spray, lotion. Take different SPFS. I did not take enough and it is not readily found in the stores. My family did not burn as bad as the other family but i took myself anf te kids tsnning a few times before our vacation. I know not a politically correct decision, but it was Alot better thsn them gettting second degree burns and burning throug there clothes. Do take bug spray (i took way more than needed. Should have taken about four bottles for ten of us.) The mosquitos get bad after it rains. It is still warm out when it rains. Plan minimum 90 minutes for any meal. Gasoline is not readily found either. Gas stations are few and far between, but we found grocery stores have gasoline for sale by hand if you stop and ask. Most everybody is friendly and accomodating. Do take plenty of cash with you. The larger establishments take credit cards but keep in mind you credit card company will charge a fee. And there are two ATMS in Placencia, but our banks charged fees and limited how much we could take out per day. So if you are paying a tour in cash you might not be able to take out enoug cash to pay for it. G rocery store was more expensive than the States. The grocery stores do not stock produce or if they have it, it is nasty. Buy your produce from trucks around in the am(i could not figure out a svhedule or a pattern). Only buy what you will use in 1-2days. It is ripe and spoils FAST. The best meat we got was from a truck parked in the grocery store parjing lot, selling beef and pork frim a cooler in the back (weird I know). Do slow down for speed humps! Do take whatever first aid type items you think you might need, again, not readily available.

All in all....we loved this vacation. My husband would move here. And we all feel as if we left our heart in Belize!

PS Mabelle goes beyond a hotel maid......she does dishes! And laundry! :-)

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The layout of the house (enough room for everyone) and the secluded beach. Not alot of people around.
Liked least: The mosquitoes
Traveling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
California
Reviewed August 6, 2012 for a stay in June 2012

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
FDFNATIC
California
“Expectations Exceeded!”
Reviewed March 26, 2012 for a stay in March 2012

I am afraid to say how I really feel, lest it becomes so popular I can't get the dates I want next time I go.

I booked the Tipsy Gecko for my wife and I, and 8 other people. It was perfect, private baths in virtually every room (we used the office as a bedroom but that required using another rooms bathroom to shower). It had more than enough space that we could feel alone if we wanted, but big enough to gather for meals and such.

It comes with everything you need, We used the golf carts to trek the mile down the road to the store to buy groceries and run to the Maya Hotel for the occasional meal out. The truck was great for the longer trip to the village. We also took full advantage of the bikes and Kayaks.

The kitchen is well equipped complete with ice machine. 3 of us are chefs and we were able to easily accommodate feeding the 10 of us great meals with the facilities.

There is a handy book with lots of local info. Here is our experience
- Snorkeling & Diving - Splash
- Monkey River - Percy
- Massage on the Upper Deck (very Relaxing)
- Lunch out Maya Hotel, De 'tach Restaurant
- Appetizers - Maya Hotel
- Casual Dinner and stiff drinks - Barefoot Bar

The best part was Javier and his wife Mirabelle. From the pick up at the airport, arranging Taxi's, to giving us the local lowdown, and coming home in the afternoon to a clean house and kitchen with laundry done and folded. Sigh, I want to go back.....

Thanks to all for making this a very pleasurable visit.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Peronal Attentive Service, Quality Construction and Furnishings, Relaxing Atmosphere
Liked least: Well it rained one of the days we were there.......
Traveling group: Large Group/Tour
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
TX
Reviewed February 11, 2012 for a stay in January 2012

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
Austin Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2012 for a stay in March 2011

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing