“Great snorkeling trip”
Review of Splash Dive Shop

Splash Dive Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Splash teaches scuba diving from beginner to professional and many great specialities like nitrox, underwater photography, deep, underwater navigation, underwater naturalist, fish ID and more. With five dive boats you chose from multiple dive and snorkel destinations from marine reserves on the barrier reef, the Blue Hole, the atolls, whale sharks (in season) and Laughing Bird National Park and World Heritage Site. Our scuba retail store is well stocked with scuba and snorkel gear and we have lots of new and well maintained rental equipment. The Belize Tourism Board selected Splash as Tour Operator Of The Year in May 2013 saying Splash “excels I customer service, creativity and personalisation, while offering a variety of tours. This tour operator sets the bar for marketing initiatives, meeting the standards of safety and security, equipment quality, cleanliness and reliability. This awardee ensures that visitors have a memorable and lasting impression of Belize”.Splash has done over 150 certifications for kids through its Splash Junior Club (local kids get free scuba lessons) and was recently awarded a certificate of Excellence by PADI for exceeding goals for entry level water, continuing education and professional level certification goals. Our sister company, Quest, specializes in inland adventure tours such as Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary, Maya ruins, Mayan culture and homestays, zip lining and river tubing, horseback riding, Monkey River, fly fishing, deep sea fishing, and more... Splash partners with a hotels, resorts and tour operators all over Belize so can so can arrange the vacation of your dreams.
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our hotel arranged for Splash Dive Shop to take my wife and I on a snorkeling excursion. From the moment they picked us up until they dropped us off we had a great time. Tony, our guide, was great and very knowledgeable about the fish. Our scuba certification wasn't done in time for this trip unfortunately, but when we return we will certainly use this shop again.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

First of all, let me say that if you are an experienced diver, then the trip we went on with Splash Dive (to Silk Caye) would probably not be for you. The reason for this is that it was over an hour to get to the dive site, and the 2 dive sites we went on were mediocre. This is my second trip to Belize, last time being at Ambergris Caye, and although the diving in AC was about the same, it never took more than 10 minutes to get to a dive site. If you are a beginner or novice, then these 2 dives would be good for you as they were easy with some nice things to see. Between dives they bought us to a tiny island with a few palm trees and had a nice BBQ lunch. Frankly it was a very nice boat ride on the Caribbean while our friends and family were freezing their butts off in NJ so I was fine with the whole thing. ON THE "POTENTIAL FOR GREATNESS": Their shop was super clean, and all the rental equipment new, clean and of very high quality - the best I've ever seen at a dive shop. As we intended only to do 1 day of diving on our trip, we packed light and only brought our prescription masks, regs, and computer and rented BCD's and fins. As particular as I am about my own equipment I didn't feel uncomfortable at all using theirs. Also their dive crew was courteous, knowledgeable, and attentive. ON THE "POTENTIAL FOR DISASTER": I attribute this to the office, NOT the dive crew. The office never asked to see our "C" cards (Diver Certification) and we offered them several times. Maybe they was busy and forgot, heck we are all human, but on the first dive a "person" (I'm intentionally not describing this person) had to be taken out of the water because of having trouble breathing with the regulator. As it turned out this person WAS NOT certified to dive! The crew acted fast and put them in with the snorkle group, but this could have ended very, very badly. The Splash Dive office needs to tighten up their processing procedures. THEN I would give them an "Excellent" rating.

SplashBelizePR, Owner at Splash Dive Shop, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

We are sorry and surprised that you did not enjoy Silk Cayes. I think it is a great dive destination and we dive Silk Cayes more than any other destination and that includes repeat customers. The snorkel after the second dive just inside the barrier reef where the likelihood of close up encounters with sharks, rays and huge turtles is a real hit! Because of this review, I took a rare day off and my husband and I went to dive Silk Cayes – enjoyed the dives and watched our customers enjoy the post dive snorkel. We hope you will come back and dive some of our other sites and maybe give Silk Cayes another try.

Our sign up procedure requires every diver to complete a form that includes information on the diver’s certification, date of last dive, etc, before the diver is handed over to a dive master or instructor. The role of the office and booking staff is to obtain that information and the role of the dive master or instructor is to get the diver geared up and to the boat. There certainly was a breakdown in responsibility/procedure on that day. We have reviewed the form and procedure with our office and booking staff and with our dive masters and instructors. We have also modified the sign up form to include the certification # to be filled in to ensure that the staff look carefully at the card.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Did a three tank dive to Glovers reef with Splash. There were 12 divers on the trip and they split us up into 4 groups each with a dive master. The staff were knowledgeable and organized. The dive briefings were ok, not as much details as I've seen with some smaller groups. My equipment all worked fine. I was a little surprised that the BC vests didn't have any place to hook your gauges or octopus (we just tucked them under vest straps-- not super convenient). The boat was nice.

It was a 1:45 min ride to Glovers reef. We did Glovers Wall and White Sands before lunch and finished up with the Abyss after lunch. Water clarity was great. We saw turtles, rays, an eel, reef shark, nurse shark, lots of fish, coral, and sponges, and a sea cucumber. Also saw a couple of Lion fish. All in all a great day of diving.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Went out of their way to make it possible for my wife to scuba. Very patient in teaching, always felt safe as a novice diver. Ask for Moses if you can; he is better than great.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We took two trips from their dock in Placencia. They picked us up from the Maya Beach as part of the fee. The first trip was to Silk Caye and the other was to Laughing Bird Caye. Both were great for different reasons - both sites were beautiful. On both trips they cooked a yummy chicken bbq meal for lunch. Though we thought that it was strange on the trip to Silk that the staff ate first while the paying customers stood around and watched and drooled. (this is my only complaint).

The guides are very knowledgeable and they snorkel around with you to name the species of coral and fish. Our guide was Lincoln - fantastic and very passionate about the reefs, fish and protecting the reef system. Be sure to ask for him!!

Silk was a bit further afield - they took us out in the bigger dive boat with both divers and snorkelers, but it still took over an hour. There were three snorkels "sessions", two around the island and the third, bonus snorkel was over near fisherman who have anchored in for the long hall. They don’t fish from the anchorage but they clean their catch there and throw the bones and skin over board. Well, when I jumped in and looked at was below it took my breath away - in an awe struck way at the all of the large marine life. Nurse sharks, sting rays, spotted eagle rays, sea turtles (we saw a huge loggerhead!) and black tip sharks!! It was a real OMG moment that I will never forget.

Laughing Bird was closer but they took a smaller boat so the time was close to an hour. If it wasn’t for the bonus trip to the fishing boat at Silk I would say that this one was better. While Silk had lots of fish and coral, the fish at Laughing Bird was amazing. Small tropicals, large schools of bigger fish - lots of fish everywhere you looked. I even saw a spotted ray there and was told that was good luck. Maybe it was a better day but boy....

I guess that I would have one more complaint in that we were not allowed to snorkel at Silk without the guide but were able to at Laughing Bird. I wanted to go out during lunch but I was told that I couldn’t. Not a problem at Laughing Bird. Just had to be sure to follow the rules.