“Very good - I can honestly say this is better than some restaurants in Italy”
Review of La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita
Ranked #15 of 81 Restaurants in Placencia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Facebookla Dolcevita Placencia
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We really liked the touch of the daughter working the front while the parents were working the back (or so we were told). The food was very tasty. The service can get a little slow as the restaurant fills up (one daughter can only do so much). When we were there, the restaurant was about half full. I wouldn't want to be there if the place was full and they only had one server. As it was, they did a great job. I very much recommend the antipasto appetizer.

To me, this was the third best restaurant we ate at. But it was the second most memorable. I hope this makes sense. I guess the ambiance was just better than Wendy's (number 2 in my list, and not yet reviewed).

Go here for some decent Italian food while in Belize. I wouldn't travel to Belize for Italian food, but this place makes for a nice place to eat.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

The title says it all. My pasta dish was one of the best I've ever had. In Italy, in America, anywhere. It was just divine.

But, unfortunately, it took an hour to arrive.

There were 4 of us -- and only about 4 other tables in the restaurant. We waited an hour for our food. Just pasta dishes, mind you. What is it like when the place is full? Better order the day before, I guess.

After 60 minutes of waiting, the waitress brought out the entrees for 3 of us. One was missing. "There's a problem with your food," the waitress said. Ok, our friend said, he'd wait. Ten minutes later she walks back to the table to ask if he still wanted his dinner. Um, yes, that would be nice.

Twenty minutes later, our friend's plate appears. He's so angry he just asks for a to-go box and says he hopes that he won't have to pay for it, since he wasn't able to eat with the rest of us and waited nearly 90 minutes for a plate of pasta.

The bill arrives, complete with charges for 4 entrees. We talked to the waitress, asked to speak to the owner, but he was "busy"... So much for customer service. Never an apology. Never a gesture to take it off the bill. Nada.

The food, once it came, was fabulous. Unfortunately, we won't be back.

1  Thank NanBug
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We went to La Dolce Vita once during our week in Placencia. We went after a day of diving to satisfy my gnocchi craving. Chef and owner Simone makes an outstanding gorgonzola gnocchi with orange (really) and shrimp. I've never heard of this odd combination but he will gladly tell you the story. It was to die for! The sauce was very light, the gnocchi small and tasty, a slight hint of orange aftertaste, and lots of small prawns. They serve toasted garlic bread which should be plain bread instead since they have olive oil & balsamic on the table. My husband had a nice chicken parmesan - not breaded and fried! Entire meal was fabulous. I did not care for the glass of white wine but drank it anyway. When I asked what the wine by the glass was (one red/one white) the waiter said "I will get the bottle and make you try it" - my favorite line of the trip. I tasted it first, seemed ok, but really not great. Simone seems proud of his wine and wine storage though - all from Italy as is he. The service here was the best we had anywhere in Belize!

1  Thank SunForFunLP
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This place was an unexpected find, and we’re so glad we stumbled upon it! It’s a little more formal-feeling than most of the other restaurants in Placencia that we went to, but still very comfortable and cozy. The owner talked to us a bit – and helped us select a bottle of wine – and he was charming and happy to talk about the food and make recommendations. The food was excellent, and well=priced. Highly recommend this place!

Reviewed April 28, 2012

The only and best Italian restaurant in Placencia and Belize. If you have an idea of what Italian food is suppose to taste, this is the best. Consider also the fact that in Belize you cant find any Italian ingredient, Simone De Angelis is doing an excellent job. I am Italian.