“Don't eat at any other restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maya Beach Hotel Bistro

Maya Beach Hotel Bistro
Ranked #2 of 71 Restaurants in Placencia
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, International, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Kids, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We're certainly far from perfect, but we do try our best to create a winning experience for every single customer, whether they are hotel guests, Belizean neighbors or travelers staying at other hotels. Try pairing small plates with wines, choose from our creative main courses, or just enjoy some comfort food for breakfast or lunch. It's fun for us to meet new people and, well, just make them happy! Our casual beach bistro focuses on unique sauces and contemporary, tropical-themed flavor combinations while maintaining comfortable portions. Lots of fish and seafood. Bar service includes a 130-bottle wine list, local beer, rum drinks, and house specials. The outdoor atmosphere is casual so you can be comfortable in flip flops. Belize's "Restaurant of the Year" award was presented twice to the Bistro in June 2011 and May 2013.
Stevens Point, WI
“Don't eat at any other restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

My wife Cate and I stayed at Maya Beach Hotel for a week. I was a Chef for my adult life and owned my own a top Wisconsin restaurant for 15 years. Maya beach is one of those jewels that you hope to find when you travel. One of the giveaways that you have hit a great restaurant is when the salad and bread arrives. SOOOOOO fresh was the salad and the homemade french bread that we knew we picked a winner. I must admit we tried another restaurant one night. Big mistake. We ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner and Maya beach for the extent of our stay and never became bored with the food. Breakfast is great because they get their eggs for a local farmer as they do with the produce. The fish is bought daily from local fishermen. The shrimp is farm raised in Belize. Chef Johns menu is creative yet simple. The desserts are irresistible. Dark chocolate souffle, Killer Key lime pie, Peanut brittle ice cream pie, and the list goes on. The service staff becomes like family after just a few days. Make sure you try the spicy breakfast potatoes with two perfectly poached eggs, for lunch try the fresh fish sandwich, dinner the nut encrusted red snapper is a must. John also has feature entrees nightly. There is also a tasty bar menu for a lighter dinner choice. Just remember if you venture outside the hotel for dining you will wish you didn't.

Chicago, Illinois
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

The food was all really good, some dishes were a bit heavy for the heat though. The breakfast was good but nothing special. I would definitely recommend this as a dinner spot. We had an amazing fish dish that I'd eat any day of the week.

1 Thank lifesacruise
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best Restaurant in Belize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I ate at the Bistro every day for 2 weeks. The food was fantastic: fresh, creative and attractively served. We never tired of the menu. The mixed drinks list was so extensive, I never made it through the list. The owners prepared special request meals and drinks. The bar tender even picked a coconut for a rum drink that required coconut water. My grandson fell in love with their chocolate souffle.

1 Thank SantaFeLovetotravel
Iowa
“A Number One Can't Miss Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

We were here as hotel guests in Mid-March 2010. Our room was average, but our meals were some of the best we have ever had. 1.) Roasted Pumpkin Green Chile Soup. 2.) Nut encrusted Red Snapper. 3.) Butter Brickle Ice Cream Pie. They do make changes to their menu, but I am pretty sure these items will remain consistant. We had almost every meal here and almost everything on their menu and it was ALL a winner. Their staff was nice and polite to us. Auvi, Oscar, Tony, Becky,Odette especially. The owners need to be commended for hiring some of the nicest people we met while on the peninsula.

1 Thank MWTropicalTravelers
New Mexico
“I love food, so does this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

In fact, I love food so much that it's one of the main indicators of how much I wind up enjoying a vacation. Needless to say, when I was looking into going to Belize, the reviews on this website helped steer me towards staying at the Maya Beach Hotel, in large part (though not completely) due to the rave reviews of the restaurant. I figured that if a place could run a restaurant well, then they probably ran other aspects of their business well. Happily, that assumption proved to be correct.

Back to the food. The owners of Maya Beach Hotel Bistro love food as much as I do. They had some great and unique ideas about combining tastes, and everything we got was at least "good." Most of what we got was "great." The food was so good, that it made us fear going somewhere else to eat. I probably tried 75% of the dinner entrees during my time there, and a similar amount of the appetizers. I think I ordered the fish cakes (a Thai dish, though that isn't specifically important to the owners) more than anyone else had in their history.

The menu covers a lot of territory: there are dishes that are clearly Asian influenced, and then there are things like ribs and chicken. Some dishes might be considered "fusion," though I came to understand that the owners do not like that word. The seafood dishes were probably the best on the whole- which seems appropriate when you're on a beach.

I'd make specific suggestions, but I think you should just order what looks good to you at the time. This it the type of place that is constantly evaluating their menu and coming up with new ideas, so I wouldn't be surprised if things change a little.

The staff was friendly and professional, though to be honest- we often chose to sit at the bar. It's a great place to sit and chat with lots of interesting people: vacationers and locals alike.

1 Thank The505