“Wonderful food, great atmosphere, friendly staff”

Maya Beach Hotel Bistro
Ranked #2 of 81 Restaurants in Placencia
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: We're certainly far from perfect, but we do try our best to create a winning experience for every single customer, whether they are hotel guests, Belizean neighbors or travelers staying at other hotels. Try pairing small plates with wines, choose from our creative main courses, or just enjoy some comfort food for breakfast or lunch. It's fun for us to meet new people and, well, just make them happy! Our casual beach bistro focuses on unique sauces and contemporary, tropical-themed flavor combinations while maintaining comfortable portions. Lots of fish and seafood. Bar service includes a 130-bottle wine list, local beer, rum drinks, and house specials. The outdoor atmosphere is casual so you can be comfortable in flip flops. Belize's "Restaurant of the Year" award was presented twice to the Bistro in June 2011 and May 2013.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We ate at Maya Beach Bistro on amour first evening at Maya Beach, and were very impressed with the food and service. We wanted only tapas-type food, and chose three applies to share...coconut shrimp (huge!), seared tuna with wasabi on crispbread, and a warm lobster and cheese dip with garlic bread. All three were fantastic. Even though we weren't big spenders that night the service was attentive and friendly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,517)

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I had read the reviews of this bistro before we visited and they are true. The place has everything going for it. Great food, friendly owners and staff and an awesome atmosphere. The food would be a ten anywhere in the world. You are sitting right on the beach looking out on the Caribbean with cool breezes blowing. After you eat if you want to go sit on the dock or beach or take a swim in the pool it is all good. Bring your swim suit and chill for a while. I am so glad we stopped by. If you are staying at the Placencia Resort borrow a bike and ride south for 15the mins and you will be there. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is the best restaurant dining in Placencia and worth the trouble to get there (*more about that in a minute). Maya Bistro offers interesting, succulent meals for the entire family. It's approachable, not too exotic, yet perfectly complex. The menu is inspired but not limited to local cuisine. I was so happy by my meal of nut encrusted fish, I contacted the owners for the recipe. They kindly obliged and I wrote more about it on crunchtimefood.com. Equally impressive, the cacao rubbed pork. The interior is basic. We couldn't see the setting at night and in rain, so rely on other posters for that information. For food alone, however, find a way to get to this restaurant.
*Placencia is small, but cab fare from most properties, even though only a few miles away, makes it unaffordable ($60 oneway from Turtle Inn). Either rent a car or see if someone you trust at your hotel might want to drive you for a small fee.

FlipFlopTheBeachCat, Owner at Maya Beach Hotel Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Hello Sherri, and thanks for writing nice things about our restaurant! I've checked out your blog and you obviously enjoy both dining and cooking!

One little thing to note: A taxi from Placencia Village (including Turtle Inn) to Maya Beach is only US $20 one-way.

Thanks again, and we hope you have great memories of your trip to Belize.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Need I say more?! This dish was amazing, and because I am not a huge soup fan, the restaurant allowed me to substitute for a green salad side which was the best salad I had all week in Placencia! Also a plus: free wifi while we dined there.

1  Thank Cricket33
FlipFlopTheBeachCat, Owner at Maya Beach Hotel Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thanks for the nice comments! I assume you mean our Lobster Grilled Cheese sandwich, BTW. I'm so glad you liked it and that we were part of your Placencia experience.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We ate twice at the Bistro. Once for Breakfast and once for dinner. It was really great both times. I had the shrimp and grits for breakfast! Just as good if not BETTER then Uncle Bubba's in Savannah. Which is a huge compliment. We loved dinner as well. Had the halloumi cheese and ribs for appitizers and then the shrimp pot for main course. Wonderful. Service was great the owner came by both for breakie and dinner. Awesome wine list!! Thank you Bistro for a wonderful experience.