“Careful, they steal money off your credit card”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placencia
Julia's Rooms and Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 27 Placencia B&B and Inns
London
“Careful, they steal money off your credit card”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

I spent one night there in January 09 and I paid what I had to pay with my Mastercard.
In July 2009 they charged my credit card again for $100. Don't give them your credit card, stay away.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

We ended staying here for our first 2 nights on Placencia because we were in a rush to get a room when we arrived on the bus. I wish we did not pay the 1st two nights because we would have moved to Westwind's sooner. at $40/night the place was overpriced. It was next door to the Barefoot bar and the Tipsy Tuna which partied well into the night. It was OK, but not what we were looking for. For $10 more per night we were far happier at the Westwind.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Serat808

Travelers are raving about these Placencia hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

We arrived in Placencia and the Seaspray couldn't find our reservation and were full so on their suggestion we decided to stay at Julia's. It looks nice on the outside but leaves something to be desired inside. Uncomfortable beds and I wasn't convinced about the cleanliness. The bar there is local and makes you feel intimadated, I wouldn't recommend girls on their own staying there. Having said that it's a good location and next to Barefoot Beach Bar which is really cool. Placecnia is very small so I think you could find somewhere better for less.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).
LOCATION: Perfect. Right in the center of town on the beach side of the main walkway. One cabin is directly on the sand

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Bus from San Ignacio to Belpoman and then connect to another bus to Independence (Mango Creek); 3.5 hours. Take the 12 minute ferry to Placencia (if you arrive late and there is no ferry service, you can pay for a private boat for $50 Belizean at the Water Taxi Stand). Or, fly directly from Belize City for about $70-90 USD. From the ferry, you can walk to the hotel in 5 minutes. From the airport, catch at 5 minute taxi.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Beachfront cottage

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: 2 beds in the room in which one was soft and the other was extrememly hard. Sheets were basic linens with some stains on them and the pillows. Pillows were of good size (not too thick) but nothing great.

LIGHTING: Adequate lighting in room.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Bathroom area was clean but quite run down so it didn’t look very clean. Definitely needs an update. Passed on taking a shower since we only stayed one night and it didn’t look so pleasant.

TOILETRIES: Soap is provided but I suggest bringing your own.

CLEANLINESS: Room was clean but had several large ants on the bedroom/bathroom floor.

A/C: No A/C in the room which made it difficult to sleep.

STYLE OF ROOM: Individual cabin. The room was a bit better than a college dorm room.

QUIET: The wind was very strong and loud and therefore made it a little more difficult to sleep.

FOOD: There is no food served at this guest house.

TV/INTERNET: No TV or internet is available in the rooms. You can use the computer in the office for no cost internet access.

SERVICE: Staff was pleasant but we never asked for anything special.

SUMMARY: We stayed here since we arrived late at night and needed a place just to sleep. There are so many guest houses in town that if it’s the slow season, you could just show up and check out all the places before making a decision. Most charge around $40-$50 USD per night. We stayed the next 3 nights at Inn at Robert’s Grove (see review). I think you can do better than this place but I must admit that the view from the balcony of our room was a bargain at $50USD.

• Liked — View from balcony
  • Disliked — No A/C & bugs in room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

I stayed here for three nights in December with my girlfriend during a trip around Guatemala and Belize. We stayed in the front cabin for approximately $80/night, which wasn't cheap but was excellent considering we had a colorful, well-kept, hardwood floor cabin right on the Carribean. Because of travel difficulty (don't try to make it from Guatemala City to Belize in a day without flying) we actually arrived a day later than we'd planned but Julia was understanding and didn't charge us for the night we missed as she was able to rent the cabin anyways. A short walk to town and directly on a beautiful beach.

• Liked — Location, Beach, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No phone, internet, etc.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laxtraveller
farfignugen1972
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

Julia's rooms may look cute on the website, and also charming from the outside when you get there, but the inside was a DISASTER. I certainly expect a certain amount of critters when I got to the tropics, but based on other accommodations we visited and ultimately stayed in, Julia's rooms was just nightmarish. Every size ant you could possibly imagine, which I was prepared to deal with, but when the ferret size cockroaches came out, I had to draw a line. Bottom line the place is completely run down on the inside, and the management does not seem to care at all. While there, another guest's hammock broke causing them a lot of physical pain. We left after one night, and found several similar priced accommodations that were much nicer, and upfront about their bug situations. Ultimately we lost our deposit, and it seems this is how they make their money.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach and village.
  • Disliked — Completely run down, rude management, bugs, no amenities as promised on website.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

Julia's Cabanas and guesthouse looks much better on the website! On the day of our arrival, we were welcomed to the up-stairs unit by two cockroaches the size of a mouse, red ants on the walls, and tiny bugs climbing off the sills onto the bed linens. After killing one roach, and pulling the bed from the walls to prevent the march of bugs onto my children, we fell asleep to the sounds of a very loud and viloent TV show and someone urinating outside the window. It was gross. Needless to say, Julia did not return any of our deposit and said that bugs were a way of life. There was also no hot water in either the kitchen or bathroom sinks. Apparently you were to collect hot water from the shower for the dishes- not very useful in a unit with a kitchenette. There were unpatched holes in the walls, plentiful bugs, minimal venting and lights, and thread bare sheets. Although we had to forfeit our deposit, we were glad to get out of there without bed bugs. Fortunately I was able to find another place to stay for the rest of our time in Placencia just down the walk.

• Liked — location on the beach
  • Disliked — everything else!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JaxWY_mom