Garden Cabanas
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$188
$340
  • Pool
$150
$130
Paradise Vacation Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$139
Turtle Inn(Placencia)
$339
  • Breakfast included
Maya Beach Hotel(Placencia)(Great Value!)
$169
$127
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This place is very nice and quaint. It is located centrally; short walk to the water, beautiful grounds. The place was really clean and was laid out well. It was open air with no A/C but it was not a problem.

The reason I rated service so low is because basically after you check in there is no service. No change of sheets, no clean towels, no contact of any kind. You can go by the office and ask for things I am sure. Also, I was ill one day and the water went off. Nobody seemed to know what was going on and we had conflicting information about it. It was not a big deal as it was on within a couple of hours.

The reason I rated sleep quality so low is because of the Chihuahua next door who barked from 8 pm until 5 am. I am an animal lover and have never considered doing things to an animal that I thought of while I was up for hours at night. My friend had the same evil thoughts. Also, the mattress and pillows were nothing to write home about but not terrible.

We looked at a lot of other places while we were there because we travel a lot and will return soon. I think we would spend $89 rather than $50 and stay on the beach away from that little dog!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ameliaeyes
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked Garden Cabanas over Internet, helped by review from Tripadvisor. I got such a nice experience, the staff was so kind... Nothing to complain about ! That cabana was like my little own place in Placencia ! You can ask to Caribbean travel staff for anything you are looking for and they will make sure you find what you are looking for to get a nice journey around

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Walaby
Reviewed May 7, 2009

My wife and I (late 50's but adventerous) traveled to Placencia March 27 to April 4 and stayed at Garden Cabanas. Nice clean little cabins with kitchens and bath set amongst tropical plants a few blocks from the water. Fans but no air conditioning, which might be a problem in the summer when the humidity sets in, but we slept comforably every night even though the temperature never got below 78 degrees. I think it was about $450 US for the nine nights. Made arrangments through Caribbean Travel, and the people there were very helpful and friendly. They also arranged our flights from Belize City, and the various tours we went on: twice snorkeling and Monkey River. The guides on the tours were all very professional and friendly, and shared the wealth of information they have on flora and fauna. Saw monkeys, but they were just hanging in the trees inactive.

Ate at a variety of places and also purchased food at the local markets. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables available and a good selection of staples reasonably priced.

Rumfish and Vino, above Caribbean Travel, is a higher end eatery but nicely done with good food and extensive wine collection. Wine is comparatively expensive because of the importation costs, but worth a splurge. Same with liquor, except rum which is made locally. The local beer, Beliken, is reasonably priced. Met the owners of Rumfish, John and Pat, very nice people. In fact, John set me up with a fishing trip with him and few other guys, excellent fishing a few miles off shore, but didn't have any luck fishing from shore. Oh well, thats whey they call it fishing and not catching.

Placencia is pretty quiet, don't go for the nightlife. Snorkeling was good but not as good as San Pedro. Not cheap either, but worth it.

Belize is 3rd world, no doubt about it, but the people are very friendly and it is very safe. If you regard yourself as a traveler as opposed to a tourist, its definitely worth a trip or two. Airfare from Albany, NY on US Air was about $650 each, although we had to leave at 5 am.

Have fun!

Fred & Deb Schreyer

4  Thank freddiethej
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My husband and I spent the month of February in Placencia, Belize. We stayed at the Garden Cabanas and I highly recommend the accommodation. Our cabana was clean, cozy, attractive, convenient to town (easy walk), roomy, nice kitchen, surrounded by grass and beautiful plantings, and comfortable. The owners are great people. We had a fantastic time!!!

2  Thank grammybyer
Reviewed December 15, 2008

We arrived in Placencia after driving down from Chetumal, Mexico. We had checked out a few places online previously and thought the Garden Cabanas looked pretty good. We stopped by the office and were greeted by Veronique and Ana. Veronique was rather abrupt and none too friendly but we booked a cabana anyway. We moved our stuff in and were a bit unhappy to find the cabana rather dirty but we had already paid so felt that we could not go back and ask for it to be properly cleaned.

There was a dead frog laying in the sink and a condom!!! on the floor of the shower. EW! This really grossed me out and to top it all off I had to keep returning to the office to get my change which they never seemed to have and when they finally did I was shortchanged.

The cabanas themselves are cute but the dirtiness factor as well as having to return numerous times to the office put me off.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)