“Island Get-away”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dangriga
Pelican Beach - Dangriga
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dangriga
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My sister and I had the pleasure to experience this idyllic resort for 5 days on a beautiful island called South Water Cay about 45 minutes away from the mainland by boat. The resort is situated on the barrier reef and the diving and snorkeling opportunities are bountiful. The accommodations are individual small private lodgings and very clean. This resort prides itself on being ecologically responsible and has a focus on conservation. Although they rely on solar energy and rainwater to power their electrical needs and showers/toilets, our stay was quite comfortable. The views are wonderful, the grounds are meticulously kept and the cost is reasonable. Teresita, the manager and her husband, Leonard treated us like family and met our needs with a smile and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. The food is absolutely delicious and the guides are knowledgeable and personable. If you are looking for a vacation get-away to simply relax, spend time snorkeling or diving, reading in a hammock, laying on the beach or doing nothing at all, this is the place for you! Check out their website for additional tour packages that include other places in Belize such as the Mayan ruins and the jungle. Great vacation!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with an unobstructed view of the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JanetB59
There are newer reviews for Pelican Beach - Dangriga

Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here 1 night after spending 3 nights at the sister resort on South Water Caye. It was very convenient as a hop off either the night before or after staying on the Caye and seems to be the best option actually in Dangriga. Service was very good, restaurant has good selection of foods for all meals, drinks were good, beach is ok, close to nearby local airport which is great for catching an early morning flight. Room was large and had A/C and view of beach and sea. We only stayed here so that we would be able to get our flight in the morning. Not much to do in the town itself. Highly recommend sister resort on the Caye. Staff was very friendly and helpful coordinating ride to airport and tour of town with a local fellow.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank seag9
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We just returned from Pelican Beach Island Resort. We were there at the same time as the group of students who submitted their comments in the next tripadvisor comment. We understand that with that group and the multiple travel agents involved that there was some miscommunication about what and wasn't included. So just make sure that when you are booking, contact the resort directly. The resort itself is incredibly helpful and responsive with all your preplanning needs.
So on that note, our experience in preplanning and being on the island was extraordinaire. We were five families and stayed in four of the cabins. Terry at the island helped us out immensely during preplanning and was even able to find child lifejackets for us. Everything was set up perfectly for our arrival.
The island is so beautiful and the Pelican Beach Resort has the nicest part of the island and they maintain it to perfection. The kids (7 of them ranging from 1 year to 14 years) had free run of the island and roamed on their own. And they were safe. We had the 1 year old and he was still at the crawling/walking stage and again, there was lots for him to do. If you have a toddler, I suggest the Heron's Hideaway cabin because the deck was like a big playpen (the cabin is really cute and is set amongst mangroove trees). Oh, there's hammocks all over. We really wanted to take one home.
We snorkeled from the beach and saw a lot. Even the 4 year old was comfortable snorkeling there. We took 4 snorkeling trips - with kids, we didn't go very far but still saw a lot. The night snorkeling off the beach was really amazing. And again, we didn't have to go very far from the shore. Three of the kids took the Discover Scuba class and took two dives (I think they were amazed with what they saw - turtles, stingrays). I've not gone diving in Belize so I don't know how it compares to other locations.
There's a volleyball net, volley balls and soccer balls, kayaks available and an assortment of games in the main building. Our kids used everything and we always felt welcome in the main building.
While one of the kids was playing in her cabin, she tripped over luggage and cut her head. (this was entirely our groups fault). The resort got us in a boat within the hour back to the mainland. The mainland resort whisked the child and father to the hospital and they were seen right away. (Three stitches and all free because Belize has universal medicare, who knew?). The resort even had a pack of sandwiches for them because it was so early in the morning. Then after the hospital, the two were given a room on the mainland resort, lunch, free T-shirt and other perks and then boated back to the island in the afternoon. The other kids wanted to get injured after that for similar treatment. Anyway, in emergency, Pelican Beach resort responds quickly and well.
The food was served in the main cottage and was also plentiful and delicious. We had some really picky eaters but Pelican Beach was able to figure out food options for them too. Typically they would ask us for our orders for the next meal at the end of each meal. I'd definitely suggest this if you have picky eaters. The snacks available were cookies - I'm sure our batch of kids ate cookies all day. We did bring our own snacks for the picky eaters.
On the internet connection, when the cloud cover was low, the internet was patchy. But listen, you're on an island off the coast of Belize, can you really expect 100% connection. I live in a major city and even here, my internet goes off at least once a week. They also have a bandwith daily limit so if you are planning to blog every day for a major newspaper then you need to limit the uploading and conserve. My brother was able to maintain his blog with pictures and take his school on-line quizzes while there with no problem
Just a note for the unaware, the boat ride across to the island may or may not be choppy and wet. Be prepared for about 1/2 hour of adventure at the start of your trip.
All in all, it was a fantastic trip, the resort was beautiful, service fantastic. Had a Gilligan's Island feel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank hurricanepoint
Reviewed March 16, 2011

First, there is a HUGE difference between staying at the lodge on the mainland in Dangriga town vs out on South Water Caye. I strongly suspect most of those giving negative reviews stayed in Dangriga.

But out on the island? My lord, it's a veritable paradise. It was everything the lady and I had hoped for in an idyllic beach get away, replete with stunning turquoise waters with 5 ft manta rays that glide by the dock, outrageous burnt orange sunsets and sunrises, very nice snorkeling, hammocks and chaise lounges on the white sand beaches, simple but very very tasty meals served by fabulous staff of Leonard and Rita. We didn't want to leave! And the prices made it feel like good value for money.

The only word of caution we'd give is do NOT go diving with Blue Marlin Lodge (at the other end of the island, which Pelican directs some people to). We found their dive master unsafe -- broken one hard and fast rule of diving (always do a decompression stop so you don't get the bends) and broke another that is pretty common sense (don't take my lady on an open ocean dive with 4 foot waves and 60 ft depths on her very first dive of her life). I have advanced certification and have dived in multiple countries, so I think I have a little perspective. My summary: the staff at Blue Marlin are nice, but their devil may care attitude simply make them unsafe to dive with. Ask to go with a different dive operator.

But DO go to S. Water Caye and stay at Pelican Beach!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarkP_9
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The Pelican was amazing. I really had a great time. The whole thing was really charming from the geckos on the walls to the open, breezy walk ways. I felt very well taken care of and well stocked with towels, soap and travel suggestions. The restaurant was great, well priced and quite a selection. I traveled with my mom, who doesn't eat carbs and I am a vegetarian, so between the two of us it is usually hard to find a meal that fits our requirements, however we had very little trouble here. The drinks were a little different story, we didn't want to drink the water so no ice kinda sucked but again we were well accommodated. But the mixed drinks were a bit of a laugh. I asked for a gin a tonic and got gin and some sort of pink soda. The next night I got rum and cranberry, ha ha ha. The rooms were clean, well lit and comfy. The only down side were the sand fleas. The first few days we were there it was quite windy so it wasn't bad but after a rain and some warmth it was almost unbearable. Really though the thing I have to mention was a staff member who really went way above and beyond, a woman by the name of Lucinda Edwards. Not only did she provide amazing service, but she indulged all (and believe me there were many!) questions, big or small. Lucinda also arranged not just local travel via taxi but also Tropic Air, the small airport next door, for us at no extra charge. She took care of the phone calls to make this travel happen. She was a delightful, pleasant young woman and the Pelican should consider itself lucky to have such a well spoken, intelligent, savvy and capable employee on their staff. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best I give this place a 8. The sand fleas impacted my experience negatively, however Lucinda's warm, patient service really made the difference between a stay at a hotel and a comfortable, extended sojourn in a foreign place.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We traveled to Belize with our 3 teenage daughters whose criteria for our vacation was to travel to a place with no museums and no tours and with a great beach. When I started to look at Belize I started looking at hotels up North near San Pedro, I read that 60% of the hotels were in that area. One of my teens suggested that we look for something more primitive, so I began to look South and found Pelican Beach Resort in Dangriga. We felt we found a hidden treasure. In Dangriga we visited the Mayan Temples which were amazing and yet not "really" a museum! And did the cave tubing and saw the most amazing stalagtites and stalagmites. Terri at the Pelican took care of every detail. My favorite phrase that was heard over and over was, "It's no problem." Dangriga was definately not a tourist town, but we had no reason to leave the resort. The food and service was amazing at the Pelican. But then the real treat was when we traveled to Pelican Pouch on the South Water Caye. It was about a 20 minute boat ride to the island. It was so beautiful and had one of the best beaches I've ever been to. We then met Terri's other half...Leonard. Who is equally as wonderful as she is. Now "he" took care of every detail while we were on the island. The food was amazing, the water was amazing and the rooms were amazing. We stayed in the Heron's Nest and our kids stayed in the Sandpiper, both rooms were great. Heron's nest sits on the water and has a beautiful view. We loved the hammocks on our porches. The snorkeling was like being inside an aquarium each day. However, nothing compared to the nighttime snorkeling. We saw eels, octopus, squid, blowfish, lion fish, lobster....even seahorses. It was amazing. The water was warm and so comfortable. We were worried about traveling during their wet season, but had no issues with rain. It rained a few days, but passed very quickly, it never got in the way of our activities....which were mostly laying on the beach and waiting for 10:00 when the homemade cookies were ready. Leonard is a wonderful host, he quickly knew our food preferences, drink preferences and let us have 2nds for dessert! He was so kind and accomodating, we loved our daily "Happy Hour" with him. Richie was our snorkeling guide and introduced us to raw conch....can't really recommend it, but it was fun trying it. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is the place to go. Both Terri and Leonard take care of every detail!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank shrink711
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This is my second trip to the hotel and it was a pleasure to return. Really nice to say the hotel is getting better. They have built on the exsiting main building and they have done a great job. The side building has 8 rooms which are nice but quite dark rooms. The newer rooms in the main building are really light, airy and very clean. I had a walk in shower which was powerful. Great considering the climate. Food is tasty if a little on the small side but well priced. Beer is well priced also. Bring lots of insect repellent but dont blame the hotel for sandflys. You are visiting the tropics! Last but not least the staff are really helpful and pleasent. Not a bad word to say about any of the staff. Overall if you are staying in Dangriga then the Pelican is a must. Thanks for a great stay :)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank gibbo78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangriga
Chaleanor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hopkins
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye

Been to Pelican Beach - Dangriga? Share your experiences!