“Not the Place to Go”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stann Creek
Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Stann Creek
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Kanantik and am more than qualified to offer an opinion. In a couple of words, if you read no further, I would suggest you not even consider this place!

Amy M's review was close to calling it correctly and was certainly more accurate than any of the others I read and having reread them several times I wonder if they were writing about the same resort I visited.

As I understand it the resort has been sold to a corporate body that was visiting the property while we were there and I can only hope they make some drastic changes soon, as it needs it badly.

Let me start with the positives. There are three. The staff is wonderful, very helpful, capable, caring and professional. That's one. Two, the rooms are spacious. Three, the food overall is excellent, and I say that even with one night ordering pork chops that tasted something close to what I would assume shoe leather does.

The biggest negative here are the cabanas. While spacious, they are far from comfortable given the fact that the air conditioning is so poor that the only time you feel comfortable is right after you drench yourself in ice water and then stand within a foot of it. It's the worst excuse for an air conditioner I ever experienced. And if the lack of any semblance of air conditioning weren't enough, stand by for the bugs. None of the window openings have windows, but screens that aren't close to being flush with the sills and serve as a super highway for the myriad of strange creepy crawly things that occupy the rooms rent free. Heaven forbid if you get up in the middle of the night to visit the restroom. I can't begin to tell you how many things I stepped on. The mosquito netting around the bed is more decorative than useful. It's so hot inside the room anyway with no air conditioning, try not breathing at all with the mosquito netting deployed.

The 1300 feet of beach front as described in the website is accurate. What it doesn't describe is the 1300 feet of shoreline is so brackish from the canal upstream that you wouldn't dare swim in it. The one morning (of five) it was clear, we managed to take out one of the kayaks for a couple of hours but by ten or eleven the brackish water reappeared and we stayed away.

We did partake in two of the three included side trips. We did not take part in the snorkeling trip, so can't offer anything about it one way or another. We took part in the Mayan ruins trip and the Wild Animal sanctuary visit.

The Mayan ruins were good, the drive there and back was quite an experience. Our driver and guide was a nice guy and knowledgeable about the subject, but his driving, well, suffice it to say was an adventure. He used the trip as a qualifier for the pole at Indy! Whatever the speed limit was he exceeded it by far. True, there wasn't all that much traffic on the roads, but driving on the wrong side of the road, upgrade around a curve was a bit much for me. And it's a two to two and a half hour trip each way!

The Wild Animal Sanctuary, must've preserved them pretty well. The only animal life we saw were several yellow butterflies and about two billion cutter ants.

Yes this "resort" is out in the middle of no where, you are stuck there. There simply is no place else to go near the resort. But, that's what I expected and didn't mind the remoteness of the place at all and was looking forward to it. But this place isn't even comfortable. I would simply not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are worth your time or expense.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank patandsandi

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Reviewing Kanantik is hard.... During the day I would say it is a 4-5 star hotel. At night, it is more like a 0 star...

1. Activities- The activities such as snorkeling and the Mayan Ruin Tour were great. Peter was very informative. No complaints at all there.
2. Food- Pretty good. Nothing to rave about, but you won't go hungry. The only down part is there is no room service or late night food offered here.
3. Service- Most of the staff were great, very accommodating. Rodney and Carol were fantastic. Our only complaint was at the end we were stuck with a drink and food bill even though we were all-inclusive. Apparently it didn't cover the last day. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to be warned.
4. Location- Beautiful. Secluded.
5. Sleeping- AWFUL- the cabanas A/c does not work, so you will be hot. The cabanas are not sealed- AS IN NO WINDOWS. There are gaps between the wall and the roof big enough for a small animal to crawl in. Every night we had an assortment of monster beetles, moths, lizards, flies, and mosquitos in our room. Not very romantic. Forget about using the mosquito net, it is so hot in there you'd be smothered. Mattress is cheap and uncomfortable.
6. Amenities- No Spa or Fitness area. Pool is average.

Overall we were looking for a romantic relaxing vacation. I returned home feeling exhausted, and my feet are covered in about 50 sand flea bites. I'd only recommend this place to people who are looking for seclusion and don't mind bugs. I hope to catch up on some sleep on vacation- not gonna happen here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Amy M
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We recently went with another couple to Kanantik, and it was amazing. The resort is beautiful, gorgeous sunrises, incredible food (homemade pasta, fresh sea food and Belizean food) and great adventures (Jaguar preserve, snorkeling/scuba diving, canoeing, bird watching in the mornings, etc)

The excursions were amazing. Elroy (scuba dive master) was fantastic both in instruction and making sure we had a great experience. Pete was extremely knowledgeable, accommodating, and really went the extra mile to make sure we saw the various flora and fauna of the area. Louise, Carol and Rodney were extremely helpful and friendly. We felt like part of the Kanantik family.

We have been on many vacations to resorts all over and this was clearly one of the best. I highly recommend staying at Kanantik. We loved everything and hated having to leave.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the beach and close to the main dining area and bar. We were in cabana 2 which was...
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is a very nice first class resort. The Service is excellent. Here is what you need to know before you go. It is in the boon- docks, nothing close by but that is part of the beauty of the resort. There is NO nightlife. This is a Jungle/Beach Resort. Believe the jungle part. The bugs can be a problem especially the yellow flies. Call and see if the yellow flies have a season, if so do not go if they are in season. We went in March and they were present. Most of the other bugs you can control with bug spray but the yellow flies could ruin a vacation!! Pay attention to this. You are going to find some ants in the room at night an a ocassional cock roach and yes you might find a very small black scorpion. One day we even saw a small boa constrictor on a unoccupied Cabanna porch. As bad as this may sound to some it really is not a big deal as long as you know about it ahead of time, your in the jungle. These items were a surprise to my wife and myself but once we got over them they did not hinder our stay other than the yellow flies were very bad for my wife, she has a alergic reaction to them. The rooms never really cool off with the AC so do not expect to come home to a nice cool room after a hot day at the beach. The rooms/cabannas are not sealed no glass windows anywhere in this resort, only screens in the cabannas. Everythig and I mean everything is designed as open air construction. The dinning room, bar, reception area have NO AC. Even though the Cabanna has AC you are better off not using it and open everything up. Again this is not a problem in my openion as long as you know it up front. The trips and all the personnel at the resort are great especially the snorkeling, some of the best in the world. The food is very very good but it is not excellent and your choices are limitted. The owner is very out spoken and he has his openions about the USA but he is a heck of a nice person once you get to know him and he will do ANYTHING to make sure you enjoy your stay. He really cares about each and ever customer. Unlike some of the other reviews I just tried to tell the bad stuff so you know what to expect, these negative items are all well worth the sacrifice. The good stuff in the other reviews is just as good as everybody says. Hope this is helpful, enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: Cabanas are all the same except for location. Some are right on the beach the others set back in t...
3  Thank Jeff L
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We went to Kanantik for our wedding/honeymoon, and I couldn't be happier! It was so secluded and absolutely gorgeous! The rooms were lovely and really spacious. I took so many pictures of so much wildlife because it was everywhere!

The staff was possibly the best part. I felt like family after I left there. Louise, Rodney and Carol...I love you lots! I've never felt so comfortable and taken care of at a resort ever. Plus, I didn't have to do anything for my wedding! Louise planned it all for me and it was gorgeous!

The food was awesome, and it was such a relief to not have to decide where we would go every night. Pizza night was amazing. The owner is from Rome and he has a huge wood burning pizza oven there. You get your own hand made Italian pizza made to order. Heavenly!

Oh, and the excursions are great! Pete is the guide and he is amazing! My husband and I got a tour for just the two of us through the jungle. He even took my camera and shot pictures of us swimming in the waterfall. I didn't have to ask. I can't tell you enough how wonderful these people are.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are awesome. We stayed in a ocean front room and were extremely happy to go to sle...
1  Thank mewing_arts
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Kanantik is a very special place. My husband and I went there for our honeymoon and immediately upon arrival we felt like we were in paradise. It is so secluded that it has its own airstrip! The beautiful cabanas are less than 50 feet from the beach, you can hear the ocean and the birds from your room all the time. The rooms were cleaned twice daily, and laundry service was offered, making it so easy to relax. The pool is next to the bar...easy access to cocktails! My husband and I did so many activities that the resort offered, like jungle-trekking, visiting Mayan ruins, snorkeling, bird watching and river canoeing. There was not one activity that we liked more than the others, they were all phenomenal. The guides are very knowledgeable and personable, and over time we felt we got to know them well. The place is so intimate that the owner, Roberto, was our boat captain for our snorkeling trip! All of the staff was always smiling and making sure we had everything we needed. Oh and the BEST part, if there could be one part better than any other, was the food! We felt like we were at a five star restaurant for every meal. The resort has a special honeymoon package that includes a private dinner on the beach with champagne, and beautiful fresh flowers in the room. Kanantik is the perfect destination for couples on their honeymoon, whether you like to relax on the beach, or explore the surrounding area. I highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My girlfriend Ana and I decided to travel to Belize. We had a few resorts we had researched and decided on Kanantik. We are pleased with our decision. Louise greets you when you arrive and she can help you with anything you need. Carol (server) and Rodney (server/bartender) were a dream. Any question we had about Belize Carol and Rodney were there for us. We had the whole 25 cabana resort to ourselves for a 3 day period out of a 7 day stay which was out of this world. The weather was just beautiful for 3 days in which we took advantage of the Jaguar reserve tour which Pete (the most amazing tour guide) was very informative and we had a beautiful swim in a waterfall and seen howler monkeys in the trees. Another tour we took was to the Mayan Ruin which Pete again was very informative and we hiked to the top of the ruins which was just amazing. The weather changed up on us with rain and wind but the it was still 80 degrees. We made the best of it and went on a canoe tour which Pete and another tour guide took us around these jungle rivers and we saw many types of birds. The river canoe tour is a must. Roberto the owner was great to us. He's full of info, opinions, jokes, and couldn't be more welcoming.Theres not much missing from this resort other than a gift shop for general necessities. We recommend this resort to everyone. You cant have a bad time here even if you tried.

Rodney excellent
Louise excellent
Carol excellent!!
Roberto excellent/interesting P.S. thanks rubber toe! lol

Room Tip: Bring your supply of mosquito repellent.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay
Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures
Hopkins Bay, a Muy'Ono Resort
Almond Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Kanantik Reef & Jungle Resort? Share your experiences!