“First time; to Belize.”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Regina, Canada
“First time; to Belize.”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Maya. Rosita was absolutely wonderful! She was able to make arrangements for us on many different sites we wanted to see. Because we had never been to Belize before Rosita made arrangements for us to be picked up and dropped off at the airport in Belize city. Rosita made our first Belizian experience a very positive one.
If we decide to go back to Corozal, Belize for sure we will book with Hotel Maya.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coppertop676

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Ignacio, Belize
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I've stayed in Corozal only a few times over the years, but 2 of them have been at the Hotel Maya. The first time was around 15 years ago, and it was a totally random choice. This time, we had a huge sports group, and we rented almost the entire hotel. It worked well for us. Rosita was great with us, and all the rooms were ready for us when we checked in.

The hotel is a mile or so from downtown, and that's a good thing. It's on the bay, but there's not really a beach there. There's a little pond on the shore in front of the hotel, and a park where one can BBQ.

The rooms were fine. You might have to ask to have the a/c turned on via breaker. The hotel is a little older, but they keep it looking nice. I really liked how Rosita pulled me aside and nicely said that while we had most of the hotel, if we could make sure not to be loud when getting back from the game so as not to disturb the other guests. We'll be staying there next time too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank DrFeelAwesome
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have stayed at hotel Maya in Corozal a number of times over the years (first being in 1989) and I always have an enjoyable and pleasant experience. Rosita is always so helpful and goes out of her way to ensure your requirements are met!! The hotel is in a pleasant location across from the water and is only a short walk to either the town centre amenities or to the waterfront restaurants (including Tony's). The hotel is also within walking distance of the airport and the bus stop is directly outside which makes it very handy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Rosita is an exceptionally lovely lady and the rooms we were shown were decent. After being shown a few rooms we took number 11 on the top floor with a lovely view of the Sea. We just arrived from Mexico and were looking for a place to stay for a month to enjoy the area but decided to pay for one night and then look around town before we decided for sure.

The price we paid at Maya was a bit higher than most places in town (and we walked around for hours checking every place in and just outside of town) but the room was decent and cleaned as we waited to check in. The water pressure was not great and the hot water didn't work well but all in all the room was acceptable.

The terrible part was the noise. We asked before booking the one night if it was quiet in the area and we were promised it was very quiet... wrong. I have travelled all over the world multiple times and this was one of the noisiest nights I've ever had. The constant dog, bird, rooster and other animal noises were awful but that was not the worst part. The Hotel is right on the main highway through Belize and the traffic is loud and non-stop. Lorries are constantly going through and the it never lets up with their use of horns and engine retarder brakes. I slept very little and even in the day it is almost unbearable. We knew after waking up the next morning that we could not spend another day in this place, let alone a month.

It's a shame as the owner was super friendly and made us many decent offers for a month stay. The location of the hotel is simply terrible and it was not possible to continue our stay. There are tonnes of other places to stay in town if you simply look around. We found a month stay at another local hotel for half the price, and a fraction of the noise!

Room Tip: Perhaps it is less noisy in one of the back rooms, but I highly doubt it as the noise is insane and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dirty_Bindle
Corozal Town, Belize
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My rent was paid for the month of October- $475. I am set to move into my permanent residence Nov 1. I moved out Mid Month just so I could get a good nights sleep. Every night there seems to be a dog barking contest for the dozens of dogs in the vicinity. And the road traffic is 24/7. The ceiling fan in the master bedroom made more noise than cool air so it was not used. I had no hot water or cable TV. I was lucky to sleep 2-3 hours per night. I gave 5 days notice of moving out 15 days early and was charged $60 BZ for water and electricity for my 2 week stay.
Worst deal in Corozal. I am getting 9 hours of sleep a night at The Sea Breeze

Room Tip: Don't give 1 cent until you see the room you will get. I paid $475 up front and got the dungeon...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank John M
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We arrived in the evening after travelling by bus from Cancun, was really easy to find the hotel and it was close to town, restaurants, market - most importantly right across the street from crystal clear waters of the Caribbean Sea. Very clean, cozy rooms - 2 very comfortable double beds and good hot showers! Wonderful, welcoming host.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank iyamwadiyam
Corozal Town, Belize
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Rooms were small but AC worked great. Water pressure, like the rest of the country was an issue. Service was great

Room Tip: For longer stays select one of their apartments.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 19 in Placencia
Las Palmas Hotel
Las Palmas Hotel
#3 of 7 in Corozal Town

Been to Hotel Maya? Share your experiences!