“Good food, nicely presented” 4 of 5 bubbles

Patty's Bistro
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Corozal Town
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: We are a small family run restaurant in the small sleepy Central American Town of Corozal, Belize. We serve a selection of fresh "home-made" local food. All our food is prepared in our kitchen using only the freshest market finds. Patty's Bistro is the dream come true for owner/cook. Patty's Bistro is an extension of Patty's home's kitchen. Patty feeds her customers and family at the restaurant. She takes pride in her cooking and personally prepares every meal that leaves her kitchen. When in town stop by and say hi, we'll greet you with a smile and we'll make you feel at home!
Corozal Town, Belize
“Good food, nicely presented”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is one of the longest-established family restaurants in Corozal, and it has managed to preserve its reputation for good food and service over the years. It serves daily specials, so you can't always guarantee to get something that is on the menu, but there's plenty of choice, and it's always enjoyable. I just wish the beer was colder though!

• Visited April 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Good Food, ok atmosphere ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

In general this was exactly what I wanted. Good solid Mexican / Belizian dishes for lunch. With three kids under 5 in tow there was no kids menu so they shared an adult order of shrimp and fries.

My wife and I had chicken and beef burritos which come in tomato sauce and feel more like you are eating a stew than a burrito; however, so very good as long as you know what you are expecting.

They were lacking in a lot of the listed menu items so if you have your heart set on a certain item make sure you ask if they actually have it. Today they were missing fish and most of their fresh fruit juice options.

In a seaside town, this is not a seaside restaurant but the food was very good.

Patcorozal, Owner at Patty's Bistro, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for your resent visit to Patty's Bistro. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the food. I must apologize for the missing menu items. Fresh fish in Belize is seasonal. When fresh fish comes in at the dock in Corozal I am one of the first buyers on the dock to buy fish. I do not compromise the reputation of my restaurant by serving substandard food/ingredients. Fresh fruit juices are normally sold out at lunch. We do hope that you return to visit us on your next trip to Belize. We appreciate your patronage. Thanks for sharing your most resent visit with us.
Corozal Town, Belize
“Pay Taxes Twice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

The food/service are good but I have not been back since October 2013. It is only restaurant in Corozal that adds 18% tax to the bill. All other restaurants and businesses the tax is in the menu/listed price already. I found out they thought I was a tourist and they could get away with it.

They lost a lot of business with

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi John,

thank you for sharing your experience, March 11, 2014, about your visit in October of 2013. I think that there has been a misunderstanding of the tax code of Belize. As a tax paying, registered business, collecting tax is not only my obligation as a business owner, but it is also law.

As you stated other restaurants, or for-profit establishments in Belize, include tax in their listed prices. I do not include tax in my listed prices, I have never implied tax is included in our prices nor do I have a policy of charging customers "double tax." If this is what was communicated to you then I must have a talk with my staff.

I am also saddened to hear that your impression of us charging tax was based on your appearance, stereotype. As an expat you may be aware of many other expats who reside in Corozal. Many of my customers are expats. I assure you at Patty's Bistro we do not tax "only" tourists. At Patty's Bistro we abide by the law and we then must charge all of our customers tax. That includes locals, expats and tourists.

If you are ever in the area and would like to talk about your experience please come in for a visit.

Regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

As we approached the restaurant around 6pm, a man that worked there told us that it was already closed, despite the opening hours on the board outside stating otherwise! Then a lady appeared and reassured us that it was still open after all! It was all a little confusing but we ventured in nonetheless.

The service was quite speedy and the food was tasty enough, but nothing that exciting either.

Given that options for good food in Corozal seemed rather limited, this wasn't a bad option, but didn't particularly impress me either.

Visited February 2014
Patcorozal, Owner at Patty's Bistro, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for your resent visit to Patty's Bistro, and for sharing your experience. I am sorry my food did not excite or impress you.

My ingredients are fresh and I do my best to stick to traditional Belizean/Yucatecan recipes. In a small sleepy town, many businesses, including my own, close shop for the day when business is slow, but I never turn visitors away. I was the person who reassured you that we would serve you and I also cooked your meal. Thank you for visiting us. Happy travels.

Tempe, Arizona
“downtown eatery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Nothing fancy, but a bit more upscale for Corozal. The menu has a nice variety of food at decent prices. We had chicken wings that were flavorful and ribs. Not huge portions but adequate. The place has a bar too if you just want to stop by for a beer.

Visited February 2014
Patcorozal, Owner at Patty's Bistro, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for sharing your most resent experience at Patty's Bistro! We hope to see you again.