“Serenity Sands is pleasant oasis on Chetmul Bay, would recommend”
Review of Serenity Sands B&B

Serenity Sands B&B
Ranked #1 of 7 Corozal Town B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Queensbury, New York
“Serenity Sands is pleasant oasis on Chetmul Bay, would recommend”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Serenity Sands was an oasis of solitude on the outskirts of Corozal. The guest cottage was new, clean and spacious with all the amenities. Penny, our host was very friendly and informative. We loved the parrot! The grounds were very nice, the bay is shallow and sandy and it is a peaceful setting. Breakfast was included and very good, but a little late in the morning, would have preferred to have it ealier in the morning such as 7 or 8am. Homemade cinnamon buns were a special treat.
Would definitely stay there again and will recommend to our clients.
JoAnn Monroe
A.C. Cruise &Travel
Hudson Falls, NY

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank belizejo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chetwynd, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Serenity Sands is a beautiful, relatively new, B&B. Both the B&B and the grounds are spotlessly clean and well maintained. We stayed in the guesthouse and the size suited us well - there were three of us living there for just over a week. Serenity Sands has water access and we enjoyed taking out the kayaks or going for a dip in the bay. Penny was fantastic in arranging day trips for us with professional guides for river boating, cave tubing, the zoo, etc. Breakfasts were amazing: fresh fruit and fruit juice, delicious omelets, home-baked cinnamon buns and bread. We rented a car and would recommend doing so as the B&B is a few miles out of town. A great place to stay, very modern, welcoming, informative hosts, all at a good price!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2011

The owner of Serenity Sands, Penny, started taking care of me even before I arrived. The day before my arrival I received an email from her with directions on how to get there from Belize City. Belize is not real big on road signs so her directions were very welcome as well as being perfect.

Serenity Sands is about three miles northeast of Corozal right on Chetumal Bay. The building is only a few years old and extremely well designed. Serenity Sands operates off the grid; a wind turbine, solar power, a large generator and excellent architectural planning provide all the power necessary. Penny had apologized when I arrived that she would have to be running the generator to top off the batteries between 7:00 and 8:00 pm. I lived on generator power for two weeks after Hurricane Georges so I wasn’t too concerned. It turns out she needn’t have apologized since it was a barely noticeable hummm in the background. There is a great area to relax on the water, which is about a two minute walk from the main building. There is a nice palapa with hammocks or you can lounge in the sun or take the kayaks out on the bay.

Penny recommended a great little restaurant in town, Patty's. I had a great rib dinner with salad, tortillas and beer for $18.00 BZ including a generous tip. The bar tender kept me regaled with stories of local color and made sure I was well cared for. I also met a couple from Iowa who was also staying at Serenity Sands; we spent time later in the evening and the next day talking and comparing notes.

I slept with the windows and balcony door wide open to catch the ocean breeze and woke to the first stirrings of the birds. The rooms have AC, but it was totally unnecessary. The bed was very comfortable and the the room was huge. There was plenty of storage even if you had brought a dozen suitcases. Although Penny said the wi-fi would only work downstairs in the lounge area, I got intermittent service in my second floor room.

While I was there, a film crew was also staying on the property that was filming in and around Corozal for the next few days. I was also introduced to Jack Sparrow, one of the two cats on the property. I had met the two dogs and other cat earlier, but fell in love with Jack. He was a rescue cat who lost his left eye as a kitten, hence the pirate moniker.

The next morning, after a great communal breakfast of tropical fruit, breakfast pizza, fresh made bread and hand squeezed orange juice I took off exploring and Penny provided (once again) excellent directions on how to find the towns of Sarteneja and Cerros. My new friends from Iowa City, Ron and Gayle, went fishing on a boat that Penny arranged that picked them up down on the Serenity Sands beach.

After returning from my day of exploring, I had dinner that night at the Millennium in Consejo (about another four miles down the road from Corozal) and chatted up a soon-to-be-expat from Saskatchewan who was just putting the finishing touches on his house.

The morning I was leaving Penny made breakfast early to accommodate my departure time. She made an absolutely heavenly banana-chocolate chip bread that I washed down with more fresh squeezed OJ and strong Belizean coffee. After chatting a bit with Ron and Gayle, I drove to the airport in Belize City. I had estimated that it would take about two and one half hours, but made it in two. I wish I had more time to stay at Serenity Sands. It is a very well thought out property, immensely comfortable, immaculately clean and Penny is a great hostess. As a former B&B owner myself, I tend to look at every property very critically. Penny has thought of everything and she goes out of her way to make you comfortable. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank bgodiver
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My husband and I scheduled a trip to Belize on short notice. We did not have any excursions scheduled before we arrived as we had decided to keep those to a minimum. My husband was in contact with Penny via email and she offered to help us book whatever we wanted after we arrived. After we arrived we decided to book a combination zip lining/cave tubing trip, snorkeling, a Mayan Ruins tour and a fishing trip. Penny booked everything for us and we had a wonderful time. Our breakfasts were very good and very plentiful. The B&B is beautiful and serene. We really enjoyed the kayaks and relaxing by the water. The facility is a bit out of the way but that is what drew us to it. We had no desire to stay somewhere like San Pedro Island. You really do need a rental car to get around.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soontoretire2012
Woodland, California
Reviewed February 28, 2011

New facility, Canadian Owned, and built to North American standards. The rooms are Spacious and CLEAN with quality appointments. Great water pressure. The rooms are air conditiioned, but the electricity to power it is not always available. Nice private beach with hammocks and shade. Breakfast was great; fresh eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, and fresh baked muffins and bread, and fresh squeezed juices. The location is about 3.5 miles from town, so it's a bit of a walk. We opted for Jorge Zetina's Taxi Service. "George" is a wealth of information about immediate area (we had him show us the various neighborhoods for a possible future property purchase) and all of Belize for that matter. We used him to return to the Belize City which turned out to be cheaper and faster than flying (door to door). George also owns Zetina's Fast Food for a great Belizian "local" meal at very reasonable prices. If you are animal lovers like we are, the dogs, cats and birds at the facility are a plus. We brought some sports equipment to donate to the local charities Serenity Sands works with. Penny was a great host.

We had a great time at Serenity Sands B & B and would definitely stay here again when we return to the area.

Pros: New, Clean, North American Standard Facility, Great Food, and Service.

Cons: A little far from town, limited access to air conditioning, no ice machine.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Hampstead, North Carolina
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Penny & Don have created a remarkably comfortable establishment: the delicious bounty of Penny's breakfasts, the sparkling cleanliness of the rooms, the peacefullness of the grounds, the silence of the nights. We spent a week, using this as our base for several excursions, and would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Serenity Sands is truly a wonderful, serene place to stay. The rooms are lovely, the balcony is a great place to sit in the mornings and listen to the birds. I love that it is eco-friendly and even though it is a few minutes from Corozal, it is well worth the drive. Breakfast was always a treat. Penny's cinnamon's buns and lime cake are amazing. The beach and kayaks were a blast. We loved our stay everything was perfect.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
#4 of 6 in Corozal Town
Hotel Villanueva
Hotel Villanueva
#5 of 21 in Chetumal

Been to Serenity Sands B&B? Share your experiences!