“Poor Value”

The Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We (couple, 40 & 50 years old) stayed at the Sea Breeze Hotel in November 2013 for one night. We paid about $25 a night. Our room was small, clean and simple. The bathroom was old and a bit moldy; the water was hot. The owner was friendly, though not around much – we had to leave payment on the counter when we left! I would not recommend the Sea Breeze Hotel and I would not recommend staying in Corozal town unless necessary.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AnothersEyes
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

I always find it a little weird when reviews pop up months after the time of stay.
What is the mechanism? You stay at a hotel, return home, enjoy Christmas, see in the new year and then wake up one morning and think, "I must write a review of that hotel we stayed in last year."
But the important thing is to address the issues.
Tropical climates have 2 seasons, wet and dry. In northern Belize that tends to equate to June to October and November to May. The 2013 wet season was the longest and wettest in living memory. The sugar mill was due to open in mid November 2013, it opened on January 28th 2014. Farmers lost the corn, rice and beans crop. The New River was 7 feet above it's usual height. The rain was biblical. We had months with no significant sun. Naturally everything (and everybody) was "a bit moldy". At The Sea Breeze we provide economical, safe, clean and comfortable accommodation. A lot of time and money was spent washing the walls with bleach and painting. Sometimes we were ahead of the damp and sometimes we lagged behind.
Similarly in the town of Corozal. The local towns of Sartenenja and Copper Bank were cut off and had to be supplied by boat.
It is unfortunate that these guests couldn't see the good through the rain. But to be fair to them, it was a truly dreary time. Thankfully it is over.
As to my being around the hotel. I am always present between 6am and 8 am and then between 4pm and close. During the day my duties range from going to the bank, shopping, taking care of licenses, fixing errant computers, driving guests to the bus station, all the usual minutiae of running a business. But the housekeeper is always present between 8am and 4pm.
We are now in dry season and it is most welcome!

There are newer reviews for The Sea Breeze Hotel

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Corozal Town is a bit dreary, but if you do find yourself here for a day or two, Sea Breeze makes a stay worthwhile. Looking back at my travels Nov. 4th to Dec. 4th, this was one of my favourite places.
Gwyn is the number one reason: he pretends to be a curmudgeon but he's actually soft-hearted and please note: he's Welsh, not British!
My room offered not just hot showers but a reading lamp: heaven!!. I loved the in-house bar, open from 4 pm to 8 pm, and the flexibility allowed for smokers, and the incredibly friendly staff who are paid decent wages, and the location both on the sea yet merely 3 blocks from from the wharf and 4 blocks from the bus station. And it's locked up at night so you feel safe and snug.
As a solo traveller, I can't imagine a better place to park your pack,
thanks, Gwyn

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bitofasnob
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I wanted to look at Belize as a possible semi-retirement option. Not being sure if I would buy in Belize or lease, after lots of reading blogs and speaking to others firsthand I decided to go on a bit of a relaxing fact finding tour. I looked around a bit and being on a budget decided on the Sea Breeze Hotel which was right on the water. I would say it has a bit of B&B style to it access to the kitchen and that sort of thing. The staff was super nice and if you want to know about anything around the area the owner can point you in the right direction. The breakfast served at 0800 (due to staff and bus schedule) was made to order for $5 USD, as for lunch lots of small places but Jam Rock with open air seating and the best wings I tried in Belize was outstanding and served with slaw and fries. I had a great time and will be back I visited October 12-20, 2013.

Room Tip: I stayed with no AC and only felt it would have been nice one night. Other rooms had AC if you wante...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 19Aaron69
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Best place for value, cleanliness and hospitality. Right on the ocean, beautiful. Recommend to anyone. Room was clean and comfortable. WIFI worked well, good speed/signal. Easy walking to shops and market. Very little traffic noise. Friendly owner "Gwyn". Can hook you up. Seemed to know "was happenin" Very affordable price. Just loved it.

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustHarry
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We spent two nights at the Sea Breeze Hotel in Corozal in early November 2013. The ocean-front location, facilities and hospitality are the best in town! We had a great upstairs outside room with private bathroom, with use of the kitchen and common areas including a great bar/lounge area and patio. Wifi and hot shower were delightful and welcome perks of our stay here. Thanks to Gwyn and his great team, including Beverley, for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eatrunsee
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I intended to stay here for a day or two, but kept extending my stay. Gwyn, Beverly and Red (the dog) along with the community make this place!

Gwyn is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help you get to your next stop. Or, sit around the bar and let him tell you stories from his youth! You will have a great time. Beverly makes a wonderful breakfast.

The accomadations are basic, but include cable TV. The room was very clean, something I appreciated from budget establishments more since I've been traveling for the last month. I opted for a non-air conditioned room. I was surprisingly comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank CopperGolden
Reviewed October 24, 2013

For those of who need a solid WiFI signal The Sea Breeze worked great. Enjoyed a morning cup of Belizian coffee, surfing the net while looking out at the great ocean view from the second floor.

The owner, is a British expat, so there was a decent level of service. Air conditioner, not in all rooms, worked great in the room I had. You need it as it was quite hot and humid by mid afternoon.

Water pressure was excellent as was the heat although there was no water for 8 hours one night but was a issue outside of the hotel.

The good restaurants, Primos, I believe was the name is on the other side of the town so I enjoyed a nice 20 minute morning walk for a bite to eat at lunch as well as as enjoy the dark and very strong Belikin beer. I wish it was imported into Mexico as it is quite good.

Corozal Town an interesting small city of 10,000 people. The country itself only has about 335,000 people and English language is spoken with ease by just about everybody which was nice.

I was in Belize to renew my next six months of staying in Mexico on a "tourist card". Yes, American you can live in Mexico for six months then leave for seventy-two hours then come back into Mexico for six months with no hassle. I either go to Guatemala, Belize or back to Texas and this time chose to go to Belize. The trip took seven hours from the northern Yucatan city of Merida which is the capital by the way and a million people. Considered to be the "safest" city to live in Mexico. It's true:)

Happy trails...

GringoYuca

hillcountrynetradio dot com

Merida, Yucatan - Austin, Texas

Room Tip: Lowest price for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
#3 of 12 in Corozal
Hotel Casa Blanca
Hotel Casa Blanca
#5 of 20 in Chetumal

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!