The Sea Breeze Hotel
$33
Hotel Maya(Corozal Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe ownerbudget hotellonely planethot waterair conditioningstayed for one nightbalconybelizetownbaydockmarionmattressescook
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My father and I spent two nights at the Sea Breeze last December. The wi-fi worked impeccably, the room was clean and the fans provided more than sufficient airflow. The staff and other guests made us feel immediately at home. We took advantage of the bicycle rentals, home-cooked breakfasts, and killer views of the bay. On our bicycle trip through Corozal town, we found a guide to take us to the Cerros ruins. Since Gwyn wasn't familiar with these tour guides, he insisted on driving us to the dock where he gave the boat and crew a thorough once over. It was nice to know someone was watching our backs. If you want to reserve a room, confirm it with a credit card...even if it's not requested.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank kimbdivin
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed for two nights at The Sea Breeze Hotel and was definitely impressed! So much so that I plan to make another stop as I will be passing through Corozal once more on my travels!

The hotel is a cozy environment, and it is easy to get to meet the other guests. Gwen the owner is also extremely helpful & friendly. Couldn't ask for a better host, he was a great resource for planning the next leg of my trip.

I stayed in the 'premium' room, which included a private bath/shower, cable tv, nice furniture, and wifi throughout the hotel. All this for about $30usd. Great value if you ask me!

Kitchen available, great porch for hanging out on, reading, meeting the other guests and enjoying a beer from the bar! Check it out!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Doug D
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

A lovely spot to stay in Corozal. Right next to the blue bay, a jetty to perch on with an evening beer & an owner who has some great stories to tell if you play your cards right.
Gwyn really makes this little hotel special - he's a real character who shared some great stories with us over some strong rum & cokes (but don't assume he is there to entertain!). He made us feel at home with a laid back approach. We hired his bikes to drift around the town & his staff made sure our room was nice & clean. It was also great having cable TV for one of those chilled evenings in your room on a night off from sight-seeing.
The building itself is a little gem with beautiful floor tiles throughout & a lovely balcony for watching the sun set.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Jeevo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is the best place to stay in Corozal. It is directly across the bay, a short walking distance to the center of town, offers great breakfasts, and has a warm and welcoming owner. He even pocked us up from thebwater taxi dock and drove us around town to show us where we pay our property taxes. Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty!

This will be the only place we ever stay in Corozal from now on.

Room Tip: We were in room number seven. It was only $30 and it had a private bath and tv. A great value!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angie H
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night and generally happy, however needs new mattresses! It was old and uncomfortable bed, making sleep challenging. We are used to budget hostels so not being fussy. Apart from that, nice location, really nice owner and a cool bar.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Seanbish1889
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Mattresses are an important subject and it is a pleasure to address this issue.
Unlike most situations when “commercial” is equivalent to “heavy duty” most hotel mattresses see less duty that the one in your home. Occupancy at The Sea Breeze hovers about 90%, or 330 bed nights a year for a mattress. About the same as your mattress at home (assuming you are away a month a year).
Unfortunately shopping in Belize does not offer much variety of mattresses. ‘Firm’ or ‘soft’ are my local choices. Naturally we tried both and the vote went to ‘firm’.
We turn mattresses regularly, but because the quality of local products tends to fall short of the more developed nations, we change mattresses every 2 years on a rotating basis. With use the mattresses get “lumpy”. It is possible that this mattress is approaching its change time. Unfortunately the guests never specified which room they were in, nor did they mention this to me during their stay. So now I will have to spend a night in all the rooms to be sure of which mattress is bad. But I will start in room #2 where the mattress is almost due for rotation. This is a good thing, because it allows me to check on the other components of the room.
So rest assured, if we have a rogue mattress, it will be changed. It is a simple and quick fix once it is located. 4 years ago we had a similar situation and the mattress was changed in 45 minutes from the problem being identified. So, thanks to these guests for pointing this out and if they are reading this, please let me know your room number.
Thanks,