“The most unfriendly host i've ever had”

The Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I didn't have a chance to check room quality but the way i was met didn't leave any desire to stay in this hotel. I had a resevation which i paid in full. I came after 8 pm. My roon was sold. No soryr, no apologies, no regrets. Hostile, rude and unbearable person didn't want to recognize at the beginning i had a reservation. After few minutes of dispute we finally had refund and went to look for other place

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank iliaby
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

The town of Corozal is situated in northern Belize. It is reached by bus from Mexico to the north. By bus from Belize City to the south. By boat and plane from San Pedro, to the west. The last boat arrives at 5pm, the last plane arrives at 5.30pm, the last bus from Mexico arrives at 6.30pm and the last bus from Belize City arrives at 8pm. The boat to San Pedro leaves the dock at 7am in the morning, so many of our guests retire early. After being in operation for 2 years we had enough experience to know that most of our trouble came from late check ins. We posted on our web site that our check in time was 4pm to 8pm. Naturally we are flexible, but we ask to be informed if you want to check in outside these hours.
All guests receive a key to the front gate at check in. So although we lock the hotel at 8pm they are free to come and go as they please. Sometimes, if all the guests are participating, the bar is open late, but on this evening it shut at 8pm.
This system has worked well for 3 years, but obviously broke down in the above case. Why, is quite interesting. A reservation is made when money is paid. But the hotel keeper has seldom met the prospective guest (or vice versa). One of my primary tasks is to somehow balance hospitality with security. The usual guest checks in and then goes out for a meal and a couple of beers. But there is, apparently, a category of guest that reverses that order. If you appear at my front gate later in the evening and are arrogant and belligerent I do have a right to refuse entry. It happens seldom and it is an occasion of much frustration on both sides. The hotel keeper loses the revenue for a room and faces this sort of revue. The guest has to look elsewhere for accommodation. The Sea Breeze Hotel is not a corporate entity. The buck stops with me, the owner. After having over 10,000 people pass through the front door, if I sense the potential for conflict, I always err on the side of caution. I would rather be penalized financially and in a review, than I would disturb the harmony of the hotel. I am sure both sides woke up next morning feeling that they could have handled the situation better, I know I did. But you have to follow your instincts in these matters. Right or wrong, my instincts said, “don’t let them in”. That I do not regret. I do regret allowing myself to become involved in the verbal sparring match that followed that decision. For that I apologize.
If there is any lesson to be learned from this, it has to be, “better to check in early than late”.
Gwyn Lawrence, owner

There are newer reviews for The Sea Breeze Hotel

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on my way to caye caulker. The owner couldn't have been more helpful. Told me where to eat, drove me home from the restaurant, booked a flight to San pedro for me because the ferry wasn't going and even drove me to the airstrip! Very happy with service above and beyond. Red dog is gorgeous too!

1  Thank Stagmouth
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

A good option for corozal, clean basic rooms with fan. This is a basic hotel but seems to be a good option for corozal. Hotel owner keeps a bar open with nice view over the bay. Not far from the boat to san Pedro/ sartenehga.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We've only spent one night in this hotel. All was very clean and the owner runs a bar the evening for the guests, so it was easy to meet some people or just talk with the owner. He even brought us to the harbour for free next morning.

2  Thank Hagelagent
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Sea breeze hotel is a great little spot in Corozal, rooms are clean and very reasonably priced and the upstairs bar/balcony is a great place to relax and have a beer or 3 in the evening.
Highly reccomended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dav6450
Reviewed September 17, 2012

we went there on Belizes holiday, and the owner takes awhile to warm up to the guest it was an ok stay, but not much to do there, next time will find some place else with alittle more to do and stay. wish they served food, if you are a local its a good place to stay cause thats all I saw at the time.

Room Tip: try and find a room with a cool breeze at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mike s
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Good clean rooms at a good price. Friendly bar upstairs, mostly for guests.

The biggest drawcard by far is the owner, Gwynn, He was friendly and helpful over and above the call of duty, taking us on a tour of vehicles for sale in Corozal - twice! Not to mention giving us loads of information about the town, buses and entertaining stories.

Hospitable, well looked after, a good little budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 12 in Corozal
Hotel Casa Blanca
Hotel Casa Blanca
#5 of 20 in Chetumal

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!