“Like a second home in Corozal”

The Sea Breeze Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Corozal Town
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The Seabreeze hotel was and always will be the first place I check in when I am in Corozal.
As a hotel owner too, I can tell you that Gwyn, the owner of the Seabreeze, is doing a great job and work very hard to accomodate travelers, at a cheap price. Everything is well thought in the hotel to provide guests a wonderful stay in Corozal. Informatives papers on the walls given you all the info needed for a great Corozal experience.
The roof and the terrasse of the hotel facing the bay are the best spot to enjoy a drink from the hotel bar and watch amazing sunsets.
The atmosphere is really friendly and make me feel at home. Their is couches in the lobby, with lots of info about Corozal and Belize, like books and flyers.
The hotel is wisely arranged and give this felling of being at home. The rooms are perfect, clean, with tv, fan, good beds. It is the best regarding quality-price.
I always have a great time here, meeting all kind of interesting people.

I think the few bad reviews given are not deserved at all and come from people who want high standing service at a budjet price. Some travelers used to fancy hotels lowered their budjet for accommodation but not their expectations.
It is sad that instead of paying the price for the standing they want in a fancy hotel, they check in cheap hotels and then complain.

The Seabreeze hotel is the best you can get among Corozal accomomdation, it has been classified as Author's pick in the Lonely Planet.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BackParadise

Reviewed July 26, 2011

There was a small booking problem which Gwyn took care of quickly. Gwyn was a wealth of information on making the transition to Belize while enjoying a cold local beer, the kind of info you may not recieve at a more upscale hotel. The room was clean and the breakfasts wonderful. The warm water hides the fact that the rocks have been removed to the breakers and the sandy bottom is only a few feet deep at the end of the dock. "Very Relaxing". People we get what we pay for so dont expect a five star hotel- great place for those on a budget! Good job Gwyn and staff !!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SpoonerRR
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We loved the time we stayed there.
Great Breakfast each morning.
Gwyn is a Hoot
Walking to all the great eating places Purple Toucan, Patty’s Bistro, RD's Dinner & Vamp’s Chill & Grill
We went with Gwyn to Cerros Beach Resort for lunch one day food was great beer was cold get a Cherry Bomb while you are there.

Room Tip: Get the room that has door to balcony
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dlhancocktravel
Reviewed June 22, 2011

We arrived late in the evening after a long day of traveling. The owner was very nice and helpful. He gave us directions to a place that was close to eat and let us see the room before paying for it. The room was very clean and it was very quiet. We are so glad we found this place! It was also a really good value and it was right across from the sea so the view in the morning was amazing!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2011

we stayed our first couple days in Corozal at this hotel. Good value!
upon our return to corozal (to exit the country) we stay another couple days - we were happy with everything. the owner was pleasant and provide alot of info. we have since bought property in Corozal and look forward to having him as a neighbour!
Love his dog too- what a cuty pie!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaanyvr
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Sea Breeze one night on Saturday May 28th on our way back to Mexico to catch our flight in Cancun, the Sea Breeze is not very attractive infact it reminds me of what we would consider a Roach Motel in the USA but it's exactly what we would expect for such a cheap price.

The rooms were clean, the owner was a nice guy but kind of racist towards the people of Belize but after staying the night in Corozal we can see why.

At about 9pm the bar that was about a few houses down began with there very loud music and it continued until almost 4 in the morning, when we asked the owner he said this has been going on for the last few weekends and since they have a license to play loud music until that time there was nothing that could be done except buy some ear plugs.

My advise to anyone travelling to Corozal do NOT stay at the Sea Breeze unless it is on a week day when everything is supposedly quiet (according to owner) or if you like loud music until the wee hours of the morning.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gringoinbz
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

The Sea Breeze Hotel was originally built by the Catholic Church as a nunnery. All I can say to the roach motel comment is that, "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder".

May 28th is an easy day to remember (if you are a soccer fan). It is the day of the European Champions League Final. We had the usual group of local fans in the bar for the game, plus some guests. Down the street (691 feet away, I measured it) Vamps Chill and Grill had their own celebration going. When we closed at 9pm Vamps was just warming up.

I remember the conversation quite well. A guest asked, "how long do you think that noise will continue." I responded, "well Belizeans start to party later than Americans and they like to party longer and louder." I suppose that could be construed as slightly racist, but to me it is an accurate response to a question. The guest expressed that this might disturb his sleep and I suggested ear plugs as a remedy.

Generally speaking it is a bad idea to travel abroad and expect the same pattern of life as in your home country. Belize is part of Central America, dogs bark and cockerels crow. Sometimes music goes on to 4am. The organizer of the party had a special event license, which I explained to the guest but which he omitted to mention in his review. Instead he deliberately, knowingly and erroneously gave the impression that this is a regular event.
He wanted me to go down the street and request that the volume be turned down. Maybe I was wrong to have told him, "when you are in an ex British Colony in Central America and Barcelona (Spain) beats Manchester United (England), to win the Champions Cup, expect a party. Wear the ear plugs." The Champions Cup in Europe is like the Superbowl in the U.S. one can guarantee parties on that night.

The reason that no one has made this complaint before is that it hasn't happened before.
I can't promise that it won't happen again, but if it does, there will be another party. You better Belize it. So bring ear plugs, or better yet, walk the 671 feet and hoist a few with the locals.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

The hotel is right across a main road in town from the bay. That said it faces the wrong way to catch the breeze off the bay. It is a cement building with no more ambience than a jail cell. No air in the room we stayed in. (although we did have a stand alone fan) We stayed for three days and saw no children stay. There is a bar upstairs which goes hard some nights. The owner is not very friendly and often to busy doing 'other things' to help the guest. I asked for something twice and both times he told me he was to busy to do it. I also heard two other guests ask for something and he told them he was to busy to do it. The rooms are cheep, but it really isn't worth it!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank betalot
ToraBelize, Owner at The Sea Breeze Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2011

Prominently displayed on the lobby counter of The Sea Breeze Hotel is the following document.
"We try hard to run a clean, comfortable, budget hotel. If you have any problems, please talk to a member of staff. Hopefully we can remedy the situation. In the event that we cannot, It is hotel policy to offer refunds to guests who have legitimate complaints. We also offer free transportation to any other local establishment."
After 4 years in business and over 5,000 guests, we know that we cannot be all things to all people all the time. We would prefer that unhappy guests move elsewhere. It is better for them and better for us. The refund is a small price to pay to maintain harmony.
So it is a puzzle that any guest would stay for 3 days who was this unhappy with the hotel.
Nevertheless, the issues should be addressed.
The building faces south, and the prevalent trade winds blow from the east. 6 of our 7 rooms have east facing windows. The 7th has A/C. In case the wind is not blowing all rooms have fans.
The hotel does overlook the Bay, but the road in front of it is not a main road. The main road through Corozal is called the Northern Highway and is a half mile away.
The building is made of concrete. Wooden buildings with thatched roofs look pretty but house an assortment of bugs and have a tendency to blow away in hurricanes. Our rooms are clean and simple and no-one else has thought them to be like a jail.
The comment about children baffles me.
Yes, we have a bar. But it closes before 9pm unless all the guests happen to be in it.
Like anyone, I have my ups and downs and yes, running a hotel is a full time business. But guests do come first.. Your request would have to be very weird for me to ignore your needs.
This review is a little strange on many levels. Why pay to stay in a hotel, if, by your own admission, you would rather sleep in the street? One night, perhaps. But three? That is not normal.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corozal Town
#3 of 12 in Corozal
Fiesta Inn Chetumal
Fiesta Inn Chetumal
#2 of 20 in Chetumal

Been to The Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!