Review Highlights
Carlos the caveman tours

We had a great time with this tour! Renan was our guide and he was super knowledgeable! He answered... read more

Reviewed November 8, 2018
Resort18537184131
via mobile
Amazing Tour Guides!

My 5 friends and I recently visited Belize and stopped into San Ignacio for the first part of our... read more

Reviewed September 13, 2018
Jesseca C

All reviews atm cave mayan history caveguide yahoo future generations climbing rocks he loves his job passionate guide his knowledge once in a lifetime an adventure sacred place jungle survival highlight of our trip life vests amazing experience flora and fauna awe inspiring
Reviewed July 8, 2018

My family and I (5 total) did the ATM cave tour with Eric and Jeremy. We had another couple(2) which allowed our group and our guided experience to be very personal. Eric was our guide through the magnificent caves and Jeremy was our 2nd driver and prepared our delicious lunch for us. Eric was an excellent guide and was energetic and charismatic. He was very knowledgeable of the caves, the culture, and the greenery around the area. You could see how much he enjoyed his job through his energy and his evidence of wanting to share unique experiences with others. My family and I felt incredibly safe with him. The tour itself is a once in a lifetime experience. Hiking through rivers, climbing rocks, and seeing ancient artifacts and skeletal remains.... All within touching distance! I am not sure how much longer this tour will be offered! It was an incredible experience and a must do if you have a day in San Ignacio. Eric and Jeremy did a great job driving us safely, feeding us well, and ensuring we got through the cave in one piece. Eric also did a couple of very neat surprises that enhanced our whole experience!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed June 20, 2018

We loved the ATM with Francisco! The experience was intense, thought provoking, and spiritual. Our teens were engaged. Even though there were others in the cave, the coordination of the leaders made the experience relaxed and personal. Our heart goes out to Carlos and family. Blessings to your family.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed June 13, 2018

First, my heart goes out to the Panti family. From what locals have told me, Carlos was special, helping to put ATM on the world map. However, his legacy lives on. His daughter, Gabriela, was very easy to book with, and Magdaleno (a Carlos trained guide), educated us on everything Belize. What makes Carlos the Caveman different? 1. They are the last group to enter the cave (so we had it pretty much to ourselves); 2. Small group (no more than 8 people vs. busload tours from hotels/cruises) 3. Cultural education (Mennonites, Mayan, British history, authentic lunch etc); The little things - medicinal plants, what termites taste like (crunchy carrots w touch of mint), turning off headlamps in cave to experience pitch black; 4. Using stories to take us back in time to understand why the Mayans were in the cave over 1000 years ago.

Go now because tourists are slowly destroying this pristine, and relatively new archaeological site. Cameras are no longer allowed because people have dropped them on artifacts in the pursuit for the perfect selfie.

The ATM tour requires you to be somewhat fit and able to squeeze through a couple tight paths, but it was no problem for myself or my two sons (who said repeatedly this was one of the best things they've ever done). Not all tours guides are the same, and I'm pleased to let the Trip Advisor community know that the legacy of Carlos the Caveman lives on.

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank jar399
Reviewed May 29, 2018

I have been travelling to Belize annually for the past 4 years. I met Carlos on my first visit. He took my wife and I and some friends to Tikal and the ATM cave.

He was funny, brilliant, a family man and passionate about his culture and country.
He was the best guide we have ever had. He made us feel welcome, safe and informed. No easy task when standing at the Guatemalan border being asked to give your passport to a stranger.

For those of you met him. You get it. For those of you who did not, the world is less one of it's finest human beings this day.

My thoughts to his family.

Trevor Brown

Date of experience: February 2018
4  Thank Trevor B
Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

I traveled all over Belize with Carlos. He was the best guide in Belize and passionate about Mayan History, plants, humanity and his family. I was studying abroad when he was hired as my guide. There is nothing more spectacular than caving ATM with Carlos. He became my best friend and I came back many times and experienced life changing adventures. His care, humor, kindness and careful attention to those he led through the caves will be deeply missed around the world. Carlos passed away May 27th after a car accident. I am truly heart broken to have lost such an amazing man and friend. Caving will never be the same. If you were blessed to meet Carlos you know that he was one of kind, unique in every way. His smile and gentle spirit is what I will remember the most. He always told me to Follow my Heart. Many of you know that this is how Carlos lived. Belize lost a beautiful soul and the most gifted guide. RIP Carlos Panti. You are at peace with angels now.

Date of experience: May 2018