“Farewell Mr. Panti”

Carlos the Caveman Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed May 29, 2018

I have been travelling to Belize annually for the past 4 years. I met Carlos on my first visit. He took my wife and I and some friends to Tikal and the ATM cave.

He was funny, brilliant, a family man and passionate about his culture and country.
He was the best guide we have ever had. He made us feel welcome, safe and informed. No easy task when standing at the Guatemalan border being asked to give your passport to a stranger.

For those of you met him. You get it. For those of you who did not, the world is less one of it's finest human beings this day.

My thoughts to his family.

Trevor Brown

"cultural aspects"
"swim trunks"
"passionate guide"

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

I traveled all over Belize with Carlos. He was the best guide in Belize and passionate about Mayan History, plants, humanity and his family. I was studying abroad when he was hired as my guide. There is nothing more spectacular than caving ATM with Carlos. He became my best friend and I came back many times and experienced life changing adventures. His care, humor, kindness and careful attention to those he led through the caves will be deeply missed around the world. Carlos passed away May 27th after a car accident. I am truly heart broken to have lost such an amazing man and friend. Caving will never be the same. If you were blessed to meet Carlos you know that he was one of kind, unique in every way. His smile and gentle spirit is what I will remember the most. He always told me to Follow my Heart. Many of you know that this is how Carlos lived. Belize lost a beautiful soul and the most gifted guide. RIP Carlos Panti. You are at peace with angels now.

5  Thank Vincent N
Reviewed May 25, 2018 via mobile

Carlos is definitely the right ATM guide to choose. He is personable, funny, and passionate. He keeps small groups and he cares deeply about the preservation of the cave. Some other groups were almost 15 people. In the cave it is tough to hear so I can't imagine the last 10 people in a group of 15 could hear anything... He clearly loves what he does and he is great at it. We booked through our hotel and his van came and picked us up. ATM is also a very cool place and a must do on your trip.

1  Thank Becca H
Reviewed May 15, 2018

I cannot stop talking about this tour!!!! This was our first time in Belize to get married and spend our honeymoon for 14 days and I have to say this was the biggest highlight of our trip! Oh my gosh I cannot stop telling my family and friends about how amazing this tour was. They provided round trip transportation to our hotel. Our driver was amazing and told us about Belize on our drive. Our driver even pointed out a "Mali Apple" to my husband which was a combination of a apple and a pear that we picked and ate right off of the tree! Then we started the tour which is completely unforgettable. Our group had a few too many people so we volunteered to go with another tour guide but we got to personally meet Carols at the end of our tour. After the tour we ate lunch and had a beer! Did I mention Carols Caveman tours is the way to go? After our tour our driver took us back to our hotel but not before stopping for fresh local oranges! They do not let you go hungry in Belize! Unfortunately the tour does not allow cameras due to an unfortunate tourist dropping their camera in the caves year ago, but thankfully for the internet you can pull photos to show them to your family and friends. The picture I added is of the guide we went with when splitting away from Carols' group, if anyone recognizes him please tell me! We have been trying to get in contact with him since we left!