Ka'ana Resort
$175
Hotels.com
San Ignacio Resort Hotel(San Ignacio)
$147
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
Rumors Resort(San Ignacio)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewska anawine cellarbedroom villaorganic gardenour honeymoonsweet corncave tubingfire pitcooking classprivate poolprivate tourturn down servicethe general manageroutdoor showerprivate dinnerwelcome drinkpork chop
Reviewed October 1, 2010

We were so excited to get to Ka'ana since we heard so many great reviews. We were greeted at the airport by Eduardo who was great. The staff at the front desk were very nice and very helpful. The food was great. We think they tried too hard with the service though. We didn't need to hear "and here we have our salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper" everytime they put the spice tray on our table. We also didn't need our server to say "excuse me" EVERY TIME he left the table. We're on vacation, we're there to have fun, it was a little too stuffy. Also, the menu got boring. Offering specials and/or variations to the menu would've been nice. My biggest complaint about Ka'ana is the overpriced tours. They were charging $175+ p/p for a tour that we paid $75 p/p flat (Destiny Tours). They weren't doing anything special to be price gouging like that!! The airport transfer, for example, they charged us $150+ to get there and it would've been the same back if we didn't book it with Destiny Tours & only paid $90 flat. Just because people can afford to pay the hotel rates doesn't mean you need to overcharge on the tours. Overall, our trip to Belize was great, the hotel was nothing to write home about. It was nice....but.......

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tp11Ny_Ny
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again soon. Our tours are more expensive than the traditional touring options available in town for three very simple reasons: 1) Our Adventure Specialists are the most knowledgeable and best paid in the country 2) All of our tours are private and customized 3) We use a fleet of new air conditioned and well maintained and equipped Touring SUV's and Vans.

We look forward to your re-visit so that we may customize your touring experience in order to ensure that it is personal, authentic, and memorable.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Ka'ana Resort. There were several things we LOVED such as: the nightly treats from housekeeping, the beautiful casita, the romantic atmosphere, the way everyone knew us by name, and the politeness of the staff. However, there were things we didn't like. We booked through Luxury Links and we were to get breakfast daily. It didn't specify a type of breakfast in our package-just breakfast. The first morning, they tried to charge us stating we only were to get continental breakfast, but nobody informed us of this nor did it state that. It didn't happen again after we spoke to someone, but it still shouldn't have been an issue. If you only want people to get continental breakfast, say it in the package. Another things was, we had made many arrangements through Saira in reservations. The night before we left, she confirmed our activities and when we wanted to do them. One of the activites was a cooking lesson with the chef. When we arrived, they informed us, he was on vacation for the week. They did compensate us with another activity, but shouldn't they have known that night before? Lastly, we had a spa credit with our package. Upon review of our final bill, we saw they had charged a service fee and tax on the spa services, but the credit was less. I understand the fees, although pricey, but why was the credit less? Turns out, they charged a service fee and tax on the spa credit too! They tried to double dip. Who charges fees on a credit??? It was resolved, but once again, it shouldn't have happened! All in all, we had a great time, but not sure I would go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angcici
Reviewed August 5, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a week’s stay at Ka’ana, and to any one traveling to Belize, we cannot recommend Ka’ana highly enough!

Our positive experience at Ka’ana began before we even left the States. My wife had emailed the guest services representative with some questions, and in her auto-signature, my wife has a link to her baking blog. The representative actually took the time to check out the link, and then based on my wife’s blog, recommended that we take a culinary class with the head chef at the resort. This turned out to be one of the best and most rewarding excursions we signed up for. I was truly impressed with the way in which the hotel took the time to get to know our personal interests and provide us outlets for them.

The first night at the hotel, guests are treated to a tasting of local liquor while a guest services representative lays out the resort’s philosophy. Ka’ana is all about presenting Belize to their guests. They want to encourage guests to get out and see Belize, enjoy Belize, and learn to love Belize like they clearly do, all while providing luxurious, resort-level amenities for travelers to come back to.

This presentation is more than just lip service. My wife and I did four excursions that we signed up for through Ka’ana: the day trip to the Caracol Mayan Ruins, cave tubing at Jaguar Junction, our fantasy dining evening, and our culinary lesson with the chef. For the off-site tours – the ruins and cave tubing – Ka’ana has their own tour guides who are amazingly knowledgeable, and fantastically enthusiastic. Both Eduardo and Luis, our two tour guides respectively, were excited to share their areas of expertise and happy to answer all our questions. Never once was a question hand-waved away with an “I don’t know.” This enthusiasm for Belize and Belizean culture extends to all employees we interacted with at Ka’ana – from Mario and Angel, our two shuttle drivers, to Elmer, our usual waiter at the restaurant.

Our favorite experiences were set up by Ka’ana’s amazing chef, Sean Kuylen. For our fantasy dining experience, he tailored our menu to our desire to try Belizean foods and really be adventurous. I never thought I would say that I enjoyed a romantic evening with my wife over some nice iguana! The next morning, Chef Kuylen took us into San Ignacio’s farmers’ market, where we tried more local food and picked out the ingredients we would use in our culinary lesson that afternoon. Again, the chef had selected several local favorites for us to learn, which we totally intend on making at home! His enthusiasm, for cooking, for Belize, and for Belizean cuisine was infectious and uplifting. He told us that in the future he’d love to take guests into Belizean villages for some authentic Belizean culinary tours. We said, if he can make that happen, we’ll be back for sure!

Because of Ka’ana’s philosophy of sharing their wonderful country with their guests, my wife and I fell in love with Belize, and now fully intend to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Ka'ana is an amazing oasis located just 10 miles from the Guatemala border. Ka'ana staff meet our party in Guatemala. Our guide, Wilbert, started our amazing adventure. Before we made it to the resort, the hotel coordinated zip lining lunch and a tour of Tikal with local guide. Wilbert got us through the border from Guatemala to Belize without a hitch.

With just a short drive, we landed in a little piece of heaven. We were greeted with an amazing lime ginger drink - so tasty - and given a lovely tour of the property. Our room was inviting with fresh flowers, crisp linens and cozy outdoor chaise that is inviting after a long day. Given a full day of activities, we dined in our room which was served to us restaurant style just a small example of the amazing service.

Each day was better than the next, everything we needed or wanted was provided to us on our vacation. We spent all day everyday exploring the waterfalls, the blue hole, cave tubing and all of the fruits and foods in the area. However, everyday began with a great breakfast at Ka'ana with fine fresh foods and ended with an amazing dinner. We were lucky to have the experience a cooking class with Chef Sean K. ( who needs to be on Top Chef). He has a innocent and pure love of food. He face lights up as he walks through the Ka'ana garden for him it is like being a kid in a candy store. It was a joy to spend 2 hours with someone who has such an appreciation of the local food.

The above and beyond for me was WIlbert getting us across the Mexican border! I think just about anything you want can happen at Ka'ana.....

Not only would I recommend this hotel to a friend, but told people in the airport on my way home they needed to go... so you should too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2010

A resort in the jungle? Yes, indeed and the finest! Ka'ana Resort put a great deal of planning into this retreat to define what was missing in the area: fine dinning, comfortable beds, air conditioning, beautiful pool, entertaining bar, spa treatments, and blended it with the holistic, natural elements of the jungle setting to present a fabulous experience. Privacy of individual cottages, with stone floors, local hardwood trims and elegant, rustic/contemporary furnishings surround paths to a large dinning area with a top rated Chef, organic garden, expansive bar and reception areas, as well as a beautiful, inviting pool. In prioritizing our time, we chose to take our kids to my favorite ruin, Xunantunich and Ka'ana is a only 15 minutes (including a hand pulled ferry ride across the Macal ? River.
I have stayed in non AC, wonderful nearby places in the past, but prefer to sleep at night, and, quite frankly, need the AC to function the next day. I felt very safe there with my children and they absolutely loved it. Service was awesome, thanks to the owners, Vanessa at reception, and staff. My only regret is that we didn't pop open any of those fine wines on thier wine list and we wern't there long enough.... Next time!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family