“A luxury retreat with incredible service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ka'ana Resort

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
New York City, New York
“A luxury retreat with incredible service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

After all my research, I had a certain level of expectation of luxury and service for Ka'ana. And to put it lightly, those expectations were blown far and away from the moment we arrived. The property is intimate and beautiful. Resort doesn't seem quite the right word, as this place is so much more personal than that.

We stayed in the two-bedroom villa and quite honestly, I was tempted to pretend to fall deathly ill whilst there so I could skip all the tours and lay by our private plunge pool all day. I would later realize that wouldn't have been the best plan, as the excursions Ka'ana arranged for us were incredible. We explored Xunantunich and went cave tubing one day, visited ATM another and then ventured over into Guatemala to sunset drinks atop a temple at Yaxha. Since we had our own private guide, each experience felt unique and special to us, like a local was letting us in on a secret, rather than the typical guided tour I was used to. Each of our guides were so incredibly wise and passionate, I found myself feeling guilty every time another tour would pass us, because their tour could not possibly be as good or as special as ours.

We ate nearly every meal at Ka'ana which is out of character for me, but their chef had me hook, line and sinker with that pork chop. Not to mention the Sere soup, Cod fritters, Arugula pizza and
gnocchi. And the conch ceviche! I mean, seriously. One night the chef even prepared a tasting menu for us, so we were lucky enough to try nearly everything on the menu, and get a special fresh fish preparation off the menu. This kind of thoughtfulness in a kitchen is hard to come by.

Back in our villa, we found ourselves spoiled to no end, as all our whims (and we were quite whimsical) were happily attended to with just a phone call. The villa itself was beautifully appointed and styled. We'd come home to romantic torches lighting our path and candles in our room. And though we'd be basically rolling ourselves in, being so stuffed from dinner, we'd excitedly still find a spot for the sweet treat that was left in our fridge.

There were so many small details attended to during our stay that I can't even begin to recount them all, but I do know that Ka'ana and their staff are genuine in their pride. In such a beautiful place, I imagine it'd be easy to let the surroundings do the heavy lifting, but it's just not the case here. The service is personal and extraordinary; everyone knows your name and your comings and goings (not in a creepy way, I swear!) and in just four short days, we left feeling connected to this country and it's people in a way we could not have imagined.

5 Thank sashax415
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time in Belize and at Ka'ana! We appreciate all your kind words and honestly enjoyed reading about the experience through your eyes. It was a great read! Please know that it was truly a pleasure having you here with us and we do hope that we'll get to host you again soon. Thank you again and all the best for your future travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

On the basis of a great and friendly staff this is a top rating in my opinion. The guides provided for Tikal and ATM cave were first class. The resort staff were always smiling, accommodating and attentive to my wife and I. Very well appointed and comfortable room (casita # 3). So, why not the absolute top review? Two issues. The pool was not very good -- cool with little furniture (if you trek you really don't need the pool but it would have been nice to have a first class pool). Second, the restaurant food was good (excellent service) but the choices were limited -- we were on 1/2 board which included breakfast and dinner. By the 3rd night in our 3 day stay we were seeking alternatives to the menu.

Belize is a fantastic destination and I believe that the resort is working to earn the highest ratings. I would go back to Ka'ana again.

Room Tip: Nobody ever talked about the spa and we felt perhaps it was closed.
2 Thank IllinoisWETRAVL
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear IllinoisWETRVL,
Thank you for your kind words about your stay at Ka'ana. We're so glad you had a fantastic time on your tours and were able to experience the Belizean hospitality. We agree that it's our staff that truly make the difference. We also appreciate your feedback about the parts of your stay that you'd have liked to be different and have taken it into consideration. We're happy to let you know now that we've since added an additional bar food menu with more choices at dinner time and are also in the process of expanding the existing dinner menu. It's turning out to be even tastier than before. Thank you again for sharing your review and please know that we'd be honored to have you here again with us if your travel plans ever bring you back to Belize.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We decided to stay in this hotel based in the great reviews on trip advisor and I must say in the main the were all justified.

Great service, very accommodating and the rooms was very well decorated with a Mayan feeling. Iddillic grounds, good cuisine and superb cocktails.

Only thing to improve is the swimming pool as it was a bit small, just good for a deep in

A bit pricey but worth the money

1 Thank Ricardo B
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My Wife and I and another couple recently spent three nights at this boutique hotel and it was an exceptionally wonderful experience. The sights i.e. Mayan temples etc. were breathtaking. The food was great and the accommodations were above our expectations. The total feel off the resort was magical especially at night when candles lined the walk way between casitas and the restaurant. The best thing about the experience, however, was the staff. Our first night was spent in a casita with a queen sized bed. We asked for an up grade to a room with a king sized bed but those rooms were fully booked. The next thing we knew two men were moving another bed into our room and we had a great night's sleep.The next morning we were moved to moved a more expensive casita with a king sized bed and the hotel would not accept any additional payment. Any time we asked for something not on the menu the response was " we will prepare what ever you would like." They have no fitness center, but made arrangements for me to use one at another resort five minutes away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jim m M M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed four nights at Ka'ana and everything about villa number 7 was 'five star.' I was not however, impressed with their continental breakfast. Our one evening meal at the resort was 'alright,' compared to 'wonderful' at Hannah's in San Ignacio. The shoulder-deep pool was tiny and felt crowded when six people were in it.
The staff were very obliging and happy to ring for a taxi. The one-way fare ranged from 5 to 15 Belize dollars, so ask first. Even so, not one of the four rides we had in local taxis came with a functioning seat-belt! All excursions were well arranged by reception and made in the resort's high quality vehicles, but I thought they were really expensive. The same trips were easily available and far cheaper in San Ignacio, but they would have been with others and safety might have been an issue with regard to the standard of their service.
I feel that there are several things this pretty 'boutique' resort could do to enrich the experience they offer at present.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ashlee K
Oregon, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Ka'ana in early March 2013, between work commitments in San Ignacio area. What a fantastic stay! From the room to the spa to the restaurant food, everything was delightful. I have been in this area before and had exhausted most of the common tours, so the manager Jennifer was happy to find some different things for me to do. She arranged a horesback ride to unexcavated ruins (amazing!) and also a Maya cooking class with the mother and aunt of the chef at the hotel (fantastic and so fun!). The restaurant here is exceptional, really by far the best food I have eaten in Belize. Chef really knows what he is doing! The spa was lovely, I had a scrub and massage which were perfect after riding a horse and being a bit sore. Gorgeous pool, and very relaxed atmosphere. Also, great wifi and tv connection / reception.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, skip the balam rooms and splurge for something a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mangojenny
Sykesville, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Ka’ana’s Casita Suites from 16-20 March 2013. We stayed in Hun, Mayan for 1; closest to the restaurant and hotel desk. The Casista Suites are small duplexes; however, there was a family staying next door and we never heard a peep put of them! The beds were very comfortable, the shower was spacious with good water pressure, my husband was enamored with the cable TV, the pool was an adorable 2-story retreat, and the restaurant managed to please us for both breakfast and dinner for our entire stay. Ka’ana is right outside of San Ignacio. You shouldn’t plan on walking into town; need to grab a cab / transfer. We would definitely stay here again. We were considering some of the luxury jungle lodges, but was glad we chose Ka’ana because those lodges were a white knuckle 45+ minute drive from San Ignacio. We used Ka’ana as a base to explore Tikal, ATM Cave, visit Frio Cave/1,000 Foot Falls/Big Rock Falls, and go cave tubing. So glad I did not stay out in some of the remote jungle lodges. Ka’ana provided all the comforts I desired on beautiful grounds without the long, bumpy drive every time I wanted to go on a tour.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Negroman
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!