After all my research, I had a certain level of expectation of luxury and service for Ka'ana. And to put it lightly, those expectations were blown far and away from the moment we arrived. The property is intimate and beautiful. Resort doesn't seem quite the right word, as this place is so much more personal than that.
We stayed in the two-bedroom villa and quite honestly, I was tempted to pretend to fall deathly ill whilst there so I could skip all the tours and lay by our private plunge pool all day. I would later realize that wouldn't have been the best plan, as the excursions Ka'ana arranged for us were incredible. We explored Xunantunich and went cave tubing one day, visited ATM another and then ventured over into Guatemala to sunset drinks atop a temple at Yaxha. Since we had our own private guide, each experience felt unique and special to us, like a local was letting us in on a secret, rather than the typical guided tour I was used to. Each of our guides were so incredibly wise and passionate, I found myself feeling guilty every time another tour would pass us, because their tour could not possibly be as good or as special as ours.
We ate nearly every meal at Ka'ana which is out of character for me, but their chef had me hook, line and sinker with that pork chop. Not to mention the Sere soup, Cod fritters, Arugula pizza and
gnocchi. And the conch ceviche! I mean, seriously. One night the chef even prepared a tasting menu for us, so we were lucky enough to try nearly everything on the menu, and get a special fresh fish preparation off the menu. This kind of thoughtfulness in a kitchen is hard to come by.
Back in our villa, we found ourselves spoiled to no end, as all our whims (and we were quite whimsical) were happily attended to with just a phone call. The villa itself was beautifully appointed and styled. We'd come home to romantic torches lighting our path and candles in our room. And though we'd be basically rolling ourselves in, being so stuffed from dinner, we'd excitedly still find a spot for the sweet treat that was left in our fridge.
There were so many small details attended to during our stay that I can't even begin to recount them all, but I do know that Ka'ana and their staff are genuine in their pride. In such a beautiful place, I imagine it'd be easy to let the surroundings do the heavy lifting, but it's just not the case here. The service is personal and extraordinary; everyone knows your name and your comings and goings (not in a creepy way, I swear!) and in just four short days, we left feeling connected to this country and it's people in a way we could not have imagined.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ka'ana Resort is Belize's first Small Luxury Hotel of the World. True to its Mayan name 'Ka'ana' meaning, 'heavenly place,' this delightful resort, set in tropical gardens, offers exceptional accommodation in charming cottages with fine dining, superb service and easy access to ancient Mayan sites and numerous thrilling activities. Enjoy the best of Belize - its people, its food, and its attractions at a world class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Ka'ana Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ka`Ana Boutique Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel Ka Ana Boutique
- Ka'Ana Resort Belize/San Ignacio