“Expectations skewed.”
Review of Ka'ana Resort

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We just got back and had the most amazing vacation in Belize so I think it's important that I start by saying that you could not have a more friendly, professional and courteous staff at this resort. Above and beyond service. And it was very nice to come home from long-day excursions to a luxurious room. And frankly with all of the other glowing recommendations below, we were surprised and therefore feel we should share our experience.

For the money that you will spend at this resort, you may be disappointed. Be prepared to pay no less than $15 per glass of wine (with very limited options). Cheapest bottle going at $60. Dinner for two with a few drinks, easily $100. This is in US $$, not BZD. Also be prepared to dine alone most of the time. We can only assume the bar and restaurant was a ghost town because many guests felt similarly and ventured into town (easily done because of the complimentary shuttle provided by the hotel) for food/ drink and atmosphere. For a "5-star" resort, we were surprised at stained / ripped towels and linens, seat cushions in the dining room, etc. Mildew growing on the pool walls....

It is a beautiful place and very secluded and well-kept (if that's what you're looking for) but it's pricey so be prepared to spend some serious extra money on top of your room costs. (almost $500 US in service and taxes) We found that we would have been just as happy with a place in San Ignacio for much less money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MCandJC

Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you are looking for a fabulous place to stay in Belize, you need to stay at Ka'ana. We just came back from our son and new daughter's wedding that was held at Ka'ana. I have never received such good service, excellent food and accommodations as we did while staying at this resort. The staff went out of their way on every level to meet our needs and then some. We were treated like royalty. I also felt like we were staying in a Botanical Garden, gorgeous surroundings with a pool and waterfall too. I am a vegetarian and Ka'ana went out of their way to cook just for me and of course was thrilled they grew their own food in the their organic garden. Thanks to Patricia and the staff for making my new daughter's dream wedding come to fruition. It is a memory we will never forget.

Room Tip: My husband and I stay in a Balam room 211 just above the pool, loved it!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank segdraiser
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Ka'ana was the perfect choice to host my dream Mayan ruin wedding this October. I recommend anyone traveling to Belize to stay here. The grounds are gorgeous and well kept, the rooms are beautifully decorated and well air conditioned, and the staff offered the utmost in customer service. The food is amazing and local. They have an organic garden on the premises. The resort is perfectly located just outside the city of San Ignacio and minutes from the Xunantunich ruins. They offered free shuttles into town and even ran out for last minute bridal needs. Patricia was so attentive in the wedding planning process and the entire staff made me feel like a princess. I hope to return one day. Thank you Ka'ana for the beautiful memories.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvbuglives
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I just spent 6 days in this little piece of heaven in San Ignacio, BZ with my two best friends (girls' only trip). Ka'ana was amazing! Relaxing, quiet; the staff was super attentive and polite. We had a bday dinner, and they set up a candle lit table for us in the terrace, simply wonderful. We didn't think the menu was that varied, but they more than made up for it in their overall excellent service. Beautiful room, nightly treats, bathroom decorated with natural flowers when we arrived, the tour guide we had was excellent. Overall, we didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Friends and family stayed here for my mothers birthday. The place was simply THE best.
The staff was amazing. Above and beyond anything we could have imagined.
They created a special dinner for our group for her birthday evening (without us asking) and I do mean created. They made dishes they had never made before for us and it was outstanding. Not only that but we asked them if they could make her a birthday dessert, she is not a cake fan so I left it up to them telling them only that she didn't like cake but loved fruit.
They made the most wonderful fruit tart, it was really a work of art. We almost hated to eat it....almost.
They do have spa, but we didn't have time to make use of it but given everything else, I'm sure its awsome.
The ground are lovely and serene. The pool is nestled in the middle of the property surrounded by flora and fauna....ok, I wanna go back

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beth B
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel was a great place to stay in Belize. Oscar the bartender really helped make our experience a delight with delicious drinks and wonderful conversation. Everyone went out of their way to make this trip a special time for my wife and I on our honeymoon. Onil worked extra hard to make sure we were able to do various tours, all at the last minute. The food was great and despite being just off the highway, it felt really secluded!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at Ka'ana only one night, however I wish we could've stayed a little longer! The staff was very friendly from making the reservation over the phone to checking out. The room was very comfortable. It had all the little things you may need (flashlights, yoga mats, robes..) No coffee maker in the room, but that was okay with us. I stayed there with my two small kids and they enjoyed it. We had to go to a wedding the day we checked in, but upon arriving back to the room afterwards, we found that our room had been cleaned again (pleasant surprise!) and the staff left a little snack of baked plantains for us that night. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was good. I found the entire stay a bit expensive, but we did get great service all around so it was worth it. I wished we could've stayed longer for the kids to enjoy the pool a bit and for us to spend an evening relaxing on the porch. However, I know I'll be going back for another stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank G M
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Hi there! I just wanted to say thank you for your review. The entire team here at Ka'ana appreciates your kind words and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. We do hope you'll be able to come back again with the kids and we're looking forward to serving you up a cocktail by the pool! Thank you again and all the best for your future travels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#6 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!