“Wonderful Staff”

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
“Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel was a great place to stay in Belize. Oscar the bartender really helped make our experience a delight with delicious drinks and wonderful conversation. Everyone went out of their way to make this trip a special time for my wife and I on our honeymoon. Onil worked extra hard to make sure we were able to do various tours, all at the last minute. The food was great and despite being just off the highway, it felt really secluded!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Placencia, Stann Creek, Belize
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at Ka'ana only one night, however I wish we could've stayed a little longer! The staff was very friendly from making the reservation over the phone to checking out. The room was very comfortable. It had all the little things you may need (flashlights, yoga mats, robes..) No coffee maker in the room, but that was okay with us. I stayed there with my two small kids and they enjoyed it. We had to go to a wedding the day we checked in, but upon arriving back to the room afterwards, we found that our room had been cleaned again (pleasant surprise!) and the staff left a little snack of baked plantains for us that night. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was good. I found the entire stay a bit expensive, but we did get great service all around so it was worth it. I wished we could've stayed longer for the kids to enjoy the pool a bit and for us to spend an evening relaxing on the porch. However, I know I'll be going back for another stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank G M
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi there! I just wanted to say thank you for your review. The entire team here at Ka'ana appreciates your kind words and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. We do hope you'll be able to come back again with the kids and we're looking forward to serving you up a cocktail by the pool! Thank you again and all the best for your future travels.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I recently traveled to Belize with my family and we had a wonderful time. We had two rooms and they were both beautiful and peaceful. The staff are warm and friendly and were very attentive, helping us arrange transfers, meals and excursions to Cahal Pech, Tikal, and to explore the local area. The concierge Onil in particular was great. The property is lovely with natural, tropical landscaping. Throught the day, we saw many tropical birds and butterflies around the property. The pool is also great. Highly recommended - we hope to be back soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and for your very kind words! I'm so happy you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that you were able to go out and do some exploring. That's why we love this part of the country so much! On behalf of the entire Ka'ana team, please know that it was great having you with us and we also hope that you'll be able to come back again and visit. Thanks again!
Reviewed September 14, 2012

As soon as we arrived we were given this tasting welcome drink. It was a nice surprise after traveling from NY! My bf and I booked casita suite with a back patio w/ outdoor shower (need one of these!) The rooms were tastefully decorated and way comfortable, I couldn't get out of bed. We made use of having breakfast on our front hammock and seating area. The staff was so friendly and helpful. It felt like we had the resort to ourselves, they treated us like royalty. But we did meet a few people at the bar which was cool too (ps. their cocktails can rival any new york bar!).

We did the atm tour and yxacha- I don't know why people are complaining about price, for a private and bespoke tour (tailored to your needs/wants) you will obviously have to pay more. You can't get a custom suit for walmart prices right?

LOVED ATM. It changed my life, it was one of those experiences where you are a little scared but a healthy good scared. Took me out of my comfort zone and was amped! I recommend this to everyone. Our guide was fantastic.
*Note I saw a group tour with 8 other people, was glad I paid extra so that it was just my bf and I.

OMG-Yxcha was incredible!!!!!!!!!! They set up sundowners with wine and cheese at the top of the ruin with spectacular views. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

I will definitely return to Ka'ana regularly for some 5 days getaways, definitely want to try their new villas.

Room Tip: If you can afford the villas, I vote villas. But casitas with the back patio and shower is worth it...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Campbell, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Our stay (Aug 7-10 2012) at this resort was a good experience. Our first impression was that of great service as the manager was very flexible and generous with us due to impending hurricane Ernesto. We had a tour of the wine cellar and a couple of complimentary tastes of a mayan liqueur. The resort is a small, boutique property but very top notch, relaxing, and romantic. Our room (casita suite), the bar and pool were excellent and the attention to detail was impressive. Every night after dinner we returned to our room with candles lit and a dessert waiting in the fridge.
Sadly, the food in the restaurant is lacking and although the drinks tasted good, they didn't have much alcohol in them. The fresh produce was tasty, but all of the meals were just ok, lacking seasoning and all of my fish dishes were overcooked. We ate once in town and preferred that meal to all of our meals at Ka'ana.
We paid a little extra for a casita suite and we were NOT disappointed. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the turn down service which I mentioned above.
I agree with other reviewers that the tours booked through the hotel are quite expensive; however, we had booked ATM but were unable to do that tour (we were close to the entrance of the cave but the river surged due to the previous night's rain). Although many of the other tourists were disappointed when they were told they could not continue and would be heading home, our guides presented Crystal Cave (a dry cave) as a secondary option. My boyfriend and I continued on with a mother and her son and had an unforgettable experience. We definitely paid more than what we would have booking directly, but we basically had a private tour, with 2 guides for 4 people and even being a first time caver, I felt completely safe and enjoyed every minute.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room at this property. We stayed in a Casita Suite and it was immac...
1 Thank Jena17
Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Ka'ana! We truly appreciate your kind words and love that you were able to experience the service of the resort as well as the adventure offerings of this part of the country. In regard to your meals at La Ceiba, it's unfortunate that your experience was not as satisfactory as the rest of your stay. We are happy to announce now that we've recently mage some great changes to the menus and have really increased our focus on the entire food and beverage portion of the resort. We appreciate your feedback as it really does help us to ensure we're constantly improving and working toward offering an unforgettable vacation experience. Thank you again and all the best for your future travels!
Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 31, 2012

When we arrived at Ka'ana for our five night stay, we were greeted with friendly welcomes, smiles and a wonderful ginger and lime drink. (Onil, I would like the recipe!) Once refreshed from our travel, one of the concierges, Iera, met with us in the wine in the wine cellar. We conversed about everything from in town dining and shopping to tours. Once decided, she arranged our tours with a local tour company they use; awesome! Ka'ana staff took us to San Ignacio, then promptly picked us up with a local restaurant phone call to the resort. Our Balam room was always clean and every evening, our bed would be turned down, candles lit and yummy pastry was waiting for us! It was a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere. The grounds were well kept and inviting. Special thanks to Onil, Iera, Melvin and all the Ka'ana staff! Thank you all for making our vacation un-Belize-able! We will remember you, always. Ka'ana is the place to stay if you want relaxation or adventure. You will love it and never forget it! It was beautiful!

Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thanks so much for your review and for your very kind words! It really is great knowing that you had an unforgettable experience in Belize and at Ka'ana. Look out for an email from Onil with the recipe for our ginger and lime welcome drink and have fun trying it at home! It was a treat having you with us and we hope you'll come back and visit sometime. In the meantime, all the best for your future travels, on behalf of the Ka'ana team.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We recently spent time traveling in Belize and our first stop was the Ka'ana hotel. We were there two nights and thought it was the absolute best place to stay. They gave us free rides into town and even had the restaurant call to pick us up so we could come back and not pay for cabs. The service was great and so was our room. There were only a few couples in the units so we felt we had a private hotel to ourselves. We also did the orientation from the manager or owner whihc was held in a fantastic wine cellar. They brought us breakfast to our room complimentary every morning and it was exactly what we needed before our days of adventure. Then it was nice to come back to the resort after and have welcoming faces and a pool to ourselves. We will highly recommend this hotel to people who are looking for a place to stay in San Ignacio. We were a young couple and this was our first get-away so a positive experience was greatly appreciated.
You really are in the middle of the jungle!

Joanna E, Manager at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in Belize and Ka'ana. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the service and amenities at Ka'ana and that you were able to get a great cave experience despite the storm. You're right, our tours are all private and it really does allow for a great level of flexibility and customization. You're able to make it your very own! I appreciate your feedback on your dining experience with us and we'll definitely take it into account as we continue to work to actively define gourmet Belizean cuisine and provide farm-to-table dishes. Again, thank you for visiting and on behalf of the entire Ka'ana family, we wish you the best for your future travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#1 of 1 in Negroman
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 13 in San Ignacio

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!