“All other resorts pale in comparison”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ka'ana Resort

Ka'ana Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Hoboken, New Jersey
“All other resorts pale in comparison”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

Let me start by saying I never write reviews, but our stay a Ka'ana was so amazing I want to share. We spent 4 days in a Casita and enjoyed a couple of days on personalized adventures. I don't know what to complement first, the amazing fresh food, our amazing room that was always magically freshened up after we left for dinner or a day tour, the personalized tours where we learned so much about the country and culture, or the amazing staff that made our stay so pleasant. My only complaint is that there is not a ka'ana resort on San Pedro, while Victoria House was lovely (we stayed there while in San Pedro) all other resorts will now pale in comparison. We hope to return some day to this amazing resort.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
What a pleasure it was to read your review of your time in Belize and at Ka'ana! Thank you so much for your very kind words...we loved having you with us and it really makes us very happy to know that your experience was everything you hoped it would be and more. Yes, please do come back..we'd love to have you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

I recently stayed for 2 days at Ka'ana after spending some time at Placencia at the Turtle Inn and other local properties. Ka'ana is at a whole different level of superior service, quality of the food and ability to immerse guests in one of the most memorable experiential travel experienices out there. The details you see in the room, architecture and interior design that is very modern yet not out of place shows high attention to detail by hotel managers. The candlelights in the walkways at night, wine cellar and fireplace at the restaurant were unexpected details that amazed me. I wish the entire country would rise to the level of quality, service and experience offered by Ka'ana. On the last day I visited the Actun Tunichil Muknal caves in a personalized tour... it was one of the most amazing experiences that I have done in my life. Can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: casitas
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very kind words about your experience at Ka'ana. "Memorable experiential travel" exactly describes what we feel we're mandated to provide to our guests and I think it's incredible that you wrote that. It was a pleasure hosting you and we wish you only the best for your future travels.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

We decided to come to Belize to see Mayan ruins when our Egypt vacation was cancelled. The hotel is the perfect location for many of the Mayan sites, minutes away from San Ignacio, and is truly an oasis for relaxation and delicous food & drink after long touring days to the various ruins and ATM cave destinations. The spa services were first class as well. The hotel offers so much for such a small, boutique resort. The staff couldn't be more service oriented and little touches made the difference throughout our stay. Our expectations were exceeded that is for sure! We did use the hotel to arrange some of our tours, but arranged our own for the ATM tour with a company in town. The tours offered by the hotel are more expensive, but we found out first hand that you get what you pay for. If you expect a cleaner/better vehicle, with working seat belts, and better tour guides, personalized to your expected pace, use the hotel to arrange your day.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for giving your feedback on your experience here in Belize and at Ka'ana. I think your review was perfectly on point, especially about the touring options and I'm glad you were still able to experience another culture and history even thought your original travel plans were canceled. Thank you again and all the best with your future travels!
Essex County, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

My wife, 9 year-old son, 3 year-old daughter, and myself just finished a 3-night stay at Ka'ana. Magnificent, truly magnificent.

When we arrived at the resort, Fallon (guest service manager) greeted us by name as we exited the car. That, in and of itself, speaks volumes. Customer service is the number one concern of the staff at Ka'ana, and it showed in every way. This is a 15-room boutique property, and they seemingly get to know their guests' every want before and during their stays.

The casita we stayed in was very nice, with amp,e room for 2 queens beds and a rollaway bed for our daughter. The cable tv worked perfectly well, the A/C was great, and the bathroom was once and large. The staff lit candles on the porch each night, which really added to the ambience.

The restaurant was phenomenal. The food was outstanding and the staff was very patient and attentive. Fallon had asked me prior to our stay what type of cereal my kids like, and lo and behold it was available each morning! The vegetables were fresh, the fruit was delicious, and the red snapper can not be beat! However you want your food prepared, so be it.

The property is pretty, small and set in a nice location. The only negative is that it is road-side so the sound of cars and trucks is noticeable. Otherwise, the foliage and scenery is quite relaxing. My wife loved the spa and her treatments, and the bar is chic and groovy.

Now, on to the tours. We did the ATM tour and the trip to Tikal. The best thing about Ka'ana tours is that they are private. Yes, you pay a bit more. But well worth it! Do yourself a favor - venture into ATM. This is once-in-a-lifetime and you will greatly enjoy every minute. And Tikal is a must-do. Wilbur was great, getting us across the border and into the park. He handed us off to a nice local guide, a fellow named Mario who was very knowledgeable about Tikal and the Maya.

All-in-all, Ka'ana exceeded our expectations. The resort is great, but it is the service that makes this place stand out. We plan on visiting again some day. Do yourself a favor - stay here.

• Stayed April 2011
I'm so glad your stay exceeded your expectations and I can't say thank you enough for taking the time to share your thoughts here. It's great that you got to experience ATM & Tikal- two of our favorites. Please know that it was our pleasure having you and your family with us and we would love having you with us again. All the best!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

Wow, what a weekend! My boyfriend and I just got back from a short getaway at Ka'ana Boutique Resort in Belize, and can not wait to go right back! We are an active couple who enjoy a good mix of luxury and adventure on our vacations. Without a doubt, Ka'ana was the perfect fit for us. A+++ They have amazing staff... pleasant, happy, and accommodating. Our room was clean and luxurious, yet comfortable and personal. The best part of everything was the proximity to anything and everything we wanted to do. The restaurant, the spa, and the jungle outside. All in all a great trip. We will be back again for sure!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We would love to have you again and look forward to helping you plan your return trip to Belize. Thank you again for your kind words and all the best for your future travels!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Ka'ana Boutique Resort and Spa is the perfect choice for those who are looking to get out in the Belizean countryside during the day and come back to a well-maintained resort with many of the finest accommodations.

Fallon, the Guest Manager, was most helpful in arranging all of our daytime activities - arranging for transportation to and from each of the sites. While you can certainly find similar tours or activities at a lower price, Ka'ana provides private tours and transportation. No waiting for the tour bus, no sharing a tour guide with a dozen other people. It's just you and the tour guide.

Eduardo was our tour guide for our visit to Xunatunich. Do yourself a favor and request him! He worked on the excavation of the site for 16 years and learned from the lead US archaeologists. His tour was most informative, engaging, and worth every penny! The highlight of our trip!

As for the resort, the restaurant is fantastic! The menu features 10 appetizers and entree options that are modern and well-executed. All food was very well seasoned and presented well. Some dishes were better than others, but nothing was regrettable. Personal favorites: Cioppino in a house-made bread bowl and cedar-planked smoked reef snapper. The gelato dessert was an excellent choice featuring many local flavors. The service was attentive but not overwhelming and genuinely friendly. Many thanks to Bart, Candida, Jorge, and Emerson for helping make our dining experience unforgettable!

The bar features the breadth and depth you would expect from a resort. 3-4 single malt options, 3-4 vodkas, 3-4 gins, etc ....Don't forget to try the "craboo" Nance! It's made from a belizean grape that can be likened to that of an Italian Grappa; an after-dinner cordial that is sure to please. "Polo" is an excellent bartender who provided background on many of the local drinks and makes a mean Michelada!

Our stay in the casita was excellent. The AC worked efficiently and quietly, but rest assured it's not quiet at night. You will hear much of the nocturnal life outside (crickets, birds, geckos, etc). It was louder at night than most nights at our home in Chicago. Plenty of room to unpack and relax from your travels.

Housekeeping visits twice daily: once in the early afternoon, once in the evening for turn-down service.

Please note that Ka'ana is a 2 hour drive from the airport. The weather is hot and humid, and the sun is very intense. We found it most helpful to get out around 8 AM bc the sun starts to intensify around 10 AM.

This is especially true if you plan on going Cave Tubing. We arrived at the site for Cave Tubing around 9:30 AM (1.5 hour drive from resort) and there were 10 bus loads of tourists arriving behind us. 2 hours later there were nearly 40 buses in the parking lot. Get there early!

We loved our experience at Ka'ana as it provided exactly the level of attention (not too much, not too little) and the comfortable amenities and location that gave us an opportunity to get out and see this part of Belize.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Thank you for your review! I love how thorough your description of your stay was and am very happy that you appreciated all the personalities, stories, and details that helped to make your stay in this region and with us as special as you described. It was a pleasure hosting you. Take care and all the best for your future travels!
Mequon, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

My family (husband and two sons, 12 and 13) stayed at Ka'ana for a week in March. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It's tiny with only 15 rooms, so it is very private and quiet.

We booked several tours with the hotel and loved them all! ATM amazing. Tikal exhausting, but really fun. (I would suggest packing a lunch from the hotel as the restaurant where we ate was average at best.) The iguana hatchery was fun for the boys as was ziplining and cave tubing. My favorite trip, however, was Xunantunich. Eduardo Sr was our guide. He worked on some of the excavations, so he had first-hand knowledge of the details. I know the tours are expensive through the hotel, but they are private and can be adjusted according to your needs. We had to stop for some sunscreen; since we were the only ones there, it wasn't a problem. Oh, the hotel also arranged to take us to the San Ignacio hotel for breakfast for bird watching. There is a tree just outside the restaurant with tons of birds. We arrived at 7 and stayed for 90 min. Well worth it. We saw a toucan and 6 aracari along with lots of others.

I especially loved the vegetable garden at Ka'ana, which I visited most mornings. If I saw something that looked particularly good, I would ask if the chef would prepare something. Eggplant Parmesan was one such dish. It was just delicious. We ate all of our dinners at the restaurant, so we tried just about everything. The pork chop was our favorite. The chef was also kind enough to prepare some local specialties.

I took the cooking class, which was really preparing my own meal. We started in the garden and picked the ingredients and talk about the menu for the evening. Then back to the kitchen. It was so much fun. It was nice to see how little oil/butter they used when cooking. Unfortunately, having such excellent food the first week of our trip made eating during the rest of the trip difficult because no other restaurant even compared!

I must say the staff makes the hotel. Fallon was more than helpful and a wonderful person. Emerson, George, Candida, and Bart in the restaurant were wonderful.

The casitas are definitely worth the higher fee. Our boys were upgraded for free so they could have separate beds. My husband and I had a small room overlooking the pool. Unfortunately, it was over some office, where workers started at 6 am. I'm a light sleeper, so my days started at 6 am. It was a great time to visit the garden.

This was the perfect hotel for us. We then went to Victoria House for one week. I wish we would have reversed the order.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
ianlizarraga, Owner at Ka'ana Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
I know your stay was earlier this year but I still wanted to take some time to say thank you for your very kind words and for sharing your experience in Belize and at Ka'ana. Please know that it was such a pleasure having you and your family with us. From reading your review I can tell that you truly appreciated just how special this region is and that makes all the difference. Take care and best of luck for your future travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#1 of 1 in Negroman
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Ka'ana Resort? Share your experiences!