“A true home away from home!”
Review of Parrot Nest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Parrot Nest Lodge
Ranked #7 of 33 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Alaska
“A true home away from home!”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We stayed at the parrots nest lodge for five nights and we couldn't ask for a better experience. Theo and her family are wonderful! We stayed in one of the tree houses. Every morning we awoke to sounds of birds singing outside our window. The area surrounding the lodge is gorgeous! We saw more wildlife while there then we did while taking tours through the jungle. Each evening we sat down with the rest of the guest for an unforgettable meal( Theo is one hell of a cook)and we shared stories of our “adventures” that day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank onlyinalaska_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Staying at Parrot's Nest was the highlight of my time spent in Belize. The rooms were cute and comfy, the food that was served was all delicious, and the owners are so very helpful and friendly. Dinners are served as a group so you get to meet other travelers and share your experiences on things you have seen and done. Something that is not even advertised is that it is possible to have laundry done while staying there. I had a great time, and wouldn't think twice about staying anywhere else on my next return to Belize.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank flakaroni
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Parrot Nest Lodge is the perfect place for budget travelers who plan to spend time in the Cayo area. It is tucked away on the outskirts of San Ignacio in a lovely setting with lots of trees and a river in front of the property. It is close enough to San Ignacio that all of the tour companies will pick you up at the doorstep, but far enough away to afford a sense of seclusion and serenity. And, the price cannot be beat- we couldn't believe how affordable the accommodations were. Theo is a fantastic cook (her omelets are second to none) and Marcus is a great resource for adventures in the area. We stayed in one of the treehouses, which was simple and small, but very charming. We were pleasantly surprised at how regularly the room was cleaned, with fresh sheets and towels- something we did not expect for the bargain price. We loved the birds, fireflies, comfy hammocks and cold beers in the fridge. We would definitely stay at Parrot Nest again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Belize
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Traveling through Central America is simply not for everyone. If you need to be pampered then go somewhere else. If you are scared of bugs, scorpions the boogey- man and the jungle stay at a posh resort in Florida. For those with an adventerous spirit and the ability to adapt and overcome I highly recommend Belize and when you are in western Belize stay at Parrot Nest. The facilities are simple, the area is beautiful and the owners are excellent. Everything they do is done with care, especially dinner! You cannot ask for more than that.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BelizeBritts
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2009

middle of the road experience. the rooms are okay. the owners are okay. stay out of the river. i ended up getting a u.t.i. from e. coli in the river.......most likely caused from cattle dropping run-off.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank mammatea
St Croix USVI
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Although the setting on the river is beautiful the "cabana" we stayed in had a lovely view of the compost pile off the small deck. We had reserved a "tree house" (house on stilts) but they rented it to someone else with no apologies so we had to stay in the compost pile cabana. They would have you believe it's far out in the jungle and we expected to hear the surrounding wildlife. We heard wildlife alright, the loud noise coming from the two bars right across the river and the sound of the highway close by. We had planned to stay for 10 days and explore the surrounding area but decided to leave after only two nights. I wouldn't return to Parrots Nest if it was free!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bordazall
Phoenix
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have mixed feelings about the Parrot Nest. Marcus was extraordinarily kind and helpful in multiple emails before my stay. The place itself is super cute and fun -- what's not to love about staying in a tree house in the jungle next to a river?! The food, if you choose to eat there, is delicious. San Ignacio, 3 miles away, is full of delicious restaurants and fun tour companies. Theo is really cool about calling tour companies to set up tours for guests.

Now for the negatives. There's nothing absolutely terrible about the place, but this section will be longer so that I can fully explain myself. You should know what you're getting into because the wrong kind of person would hate this place, but the right kind would love it. I should preface this by saying that I'm a very low maintenance traveler who camps frequently and doesn't mind bugs, dirt, etc.

Although the cabins/treehouses are very cute and clean, the beds (not just mine -- spoke with other guests, too) are uncomfortable because you can feel the springs in them, and they poke you all night. A little investment in egg crate styrofoam coverings would work wonders. I have been more comfortable in a tent. If you have room for a ground pad in your luggage, use it on your bed!

The showers leave much to be desired... they consist of a small trickle of water that is usually either freezing or way too hot, and I never could get it to be any temperature in between. In a place like this, where you're covered in sunscreen, bug repellent, and sweat all day, you really need a good shower! (Having said that, I've never tried to install a shower in the jungle... I'm sure it's not an easy task.) Aside from that, the shower/bathroom facilities are actually much nicer than I expected. Very clean and spacious.

I took my towel off its hook in my room one morning and found a 3-4 inch long scorpion on it! Good thing I saw it before wrapping the towel around myself. I managed to compose myself in time to take a photo before it crawled away. I suppose that's to be expected in a jungle, but it's worth mentioning to those who would freak out... don't stay in the jungle. You also should be comfortable with having a few small bugs (moths, etc.) and a gecko in your room. I thought the gecko was cute. :-) I had absolutely no trouble with mosquitoes.

Finally, the atmosphere at the Parrot Nest, at least when I was there, was a little uncomfortable. I felt like I was a guest in someone's private home rather than a paying customer at a commercial establishment. I think it may have been different if Marcus had been around -- he seemed to be very busy with work. I met him briefly, and he was just as friendly as in his emails. I can't say that I felt unwelcome... just tolerated, like a friend who has overstayed their time. On the other hand, I became great friends with some of the other guests, and we still keep in touch. I even took a spontaneous road trip to Guatemala with them. The culture among travelers in Belize is amazing.

I would probably stay at the Parrot Nest again, with some baby wipes and a ground pad and a friend. I would recommend it to my camping friends who are okay with the things mentioned above.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo