“Perfect for the right type of traveler”
Review of Parrot Nest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Parrot Nest Lodge
Ranked #6 of 33 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have mixed feelings about the Parrot Nest. Marcus was extraordinarily kind and helpful in multiple emails before my stay. The place itself is super cute and fun -- what's not to love about staying in a tree house in the jungle next to a river?! The food, if you choose to eat there, is delicious. San Ignacio, 3 miles away, is full of delicious restaurants and fun tour companies. Theo is really cool about calling tour companies to set up tours for guests.

Now for the negatives. There's nothing absolutely terrible about the place, but this section will be longer so that I can fully explain myself. You should know what you're getting into because the wrong kind of person would hate this place, but the right kind would love it. I should preface this by saying that I'm a very low maintenance traveler who camps frequently and doesn't mind bugs, dirt, etc.

Although the cabins/treehouses are very cute and clean, the beds (not just mine -- spoke with other guests, too) are uncomfortable because you can feel the springs in them, and they poke you all night. A little investment in egg crate styrofoam coverings would work wonders. I have been more comfortable in a tent. If you have room for a ground pad in your luggage, use it on your bed!

The showers leave much to be desired... they consist of a small trickle of water that is usually either freezing or way too hot, and I never could get it to be any temperature in between. In a place like this, where you're covered in sunscreen, bug repellent, and sweat all day, you really need a good shower! (Having said that, I've never tried to install a shower in the jungle... I'm sure it's not an easy task.) Aside from that, the shower/bathroom facilities are actually much nicer than I expected. Very clean and spacious.

I took my towel off its hook in my room one morning and found a 3-4 inch long scorpion on it! Good thing I saw it before wrapping the towel around myself. I managed to compose myself in time to take a photo before it crawled away. I suppose that's to be expected in a jungle, but it's worth mentioning to those who would freak out... don't stay in the jungle. You also should be comfortable with having a few small bugs (moths, etc.) and a gecko in your room. I thought the gecko was cute. :-) I had absolutely no trouble with mosquitoes.

Finally, the atmosphere at the Parrot Nest, at least when I was there, was a little uncomfortable. I felt like I was a guest in someone's private home rather than a paying customer at a commercial establishment. I think it may have been different if Marcus had been around -- he seemed to be very busy with work. I met him briefly, and he was just as friendly as in his emails. I can't say that I felt unwelcome... just tolerated, like a friend who has overstayed their time. On the other hand, I became great friends with some of the other guests, and we still keep in touch. I even took a spontaneous road trip to Guatemala with them. The culture among travelers in Belize is amazing.

I would probably stay at the Parrot Nest again, with some baby wipes and a ground pad and a friend. I would recommend it to my camping friends who are okay with the things mentioned above.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank PhoenixRoadrunner

Reviewed October 9, 2009

My girlfriend and I were walking around getting fare prices to the Parrot Nest Lodge when one of the taxi drivers told Theo, the owner, that we were headed out there. She was in town running some errands so she said she could give us a ride there. Great way to start our stay.
We were lucky because the tree house was available so we decided to stay there. The room is plain but clean. And how often do you get to sleep in a treehouse in the jungle? I saw a HUGE iguana, toucan, and many other pretty birds. We met some great people there, including the owneres. You can choose to eat at the property, which is always delicious. If you would like to get out of San Ignacio for a little bit, I recommend the Parrots Nest.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samara131
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Relaxing place to stay in the Belizean jungle. San Ignacio is a convenient jumping off point to several fantastic sites: the ATM Mayan cave used for ancient rituals; Caracol; the Rio Frio Falls and Cave; Tikal; etc. The Parrot's Nest has contacts with excellent local guides and drivers who can put together exciting and trouble-free excursions.

Although the Parrot's Nest is outside of San Ignactio, Marcus and Theo make frequent trips into town and are happy go provide their guests a lift. In fact, the ride into town in Marcus's 300,000+ clunker can be an adventure in itself. For those looking for less excitement, the low-cost collective taxis come out regularly. Theo's cooking is out of this world. Marcus, a former DJ turned river rat, is a font of knowledge about the local culture and delivers the same with lots of cheerful belly laughs.

The village of Bullet Tree Falls is tiny but has a grocery store, an internet cafe and an assortment of bars. Plus the river, which runs right behind the Parrot's Nest, provides a great tubing respite after a busy day of exploring. You do nol have to worry about being kept awake at night with street noise or loud nearby nightclubs. The cicadas lull you to sleep at night and the jungle birds wake you up in the morning.

Not for people looking for lots of creature comforts, TV, modern conveniences, etc. The rooms are spartan and the beds sag a bit. It is a great place to stay for those looking to learn about the local culture with like-minded hosts.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I admit I was hesitant the first night I got there, having never stayed in the middle of the jungle, however, I chose this place for that reason. It is located on the quaint Mopan River, which is great to be away from the hustle and bustle of San Ignacio, and its absolutely beautiful here. Theo is an amazing cook and helpful with anything you could possibly need, and Marcus is a real character. Together, that made the experience all the more memorable. I would recommend the ATM tour with Pacz if you go here-its really once in a lifetime. My biggest regret is only staying 4 nights here and 5 on caye caulker. If I could do it over again, I would stay 7 nights at Parrots nest and maybe 2 on caye caulker (unless you are an ocean sports lover, it can get a little slow there). I will be back to parrot nest....hopefully for the Ruta Maya Challenge:)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Not enough space to give it a full review. Definitely use William Hofma [--] for your travel from the islands. Theo and Marcus are awesome, helpful, and concerned. Book in advance, fills up quick, especially the tree houses. Inexpensive. Theo will help book travels for ATM, Horseback riding, etc..

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Theo & Marcus (sorry if I spelled your name wrong) are awesome!! They know everything & can give you the best directions! So helpful I mean what would we do without them?! We're from NYC and staying in a treehouse & cabin was great & such a different experience. Great location for a base camp & not too far from town. We got to borrow their rubber tubes & went tubing down the macal & we can get off right in front of the lodge. the breakfast & dinner was great! We were lucky that Nina the dog just had 10 puppies and we were able to play with them. Mosquitoes arent a problem at all. Theo & Marcus suggested Max at Evas for Tikal which was a great deal and we did the ATM tour through Pacz which was also a great price. We rented a car but if you dont have one all of the tour companies can pick you up or drop you off they all know about Parrot Nest lodge & oh yea we stayed 5 nights

We were so sad =*( to leave but hopefully we will return again this is the best place to stay vs any other place in town and I dont think you really want to stay in the town too much congestion & your on vacay and you want to be away from the city life you want to experience & wake up listening to the animals! We absolutely loved this place!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schern
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We spent four nights at Parrot Nest after a week of ocean adventures. It was eclectic and memorable. The rooms are thatch roofed huts that are permanently damp, but, you are in the jungle after all. I was pleasantly surprised to find that mosquitoes were not a problem, so the lack of netting on the beds was not an issue. You can get breakfast and dinner there and we did so every day after we discovered what a great cook Theo is. Eating good food at long tables with the other guests as we swapped travel stories was one of the most memorable parts of the vacation. Each evening Theo would come around and help arrange adventure tours for you for the next day. She was very knowledgeable and the tour operators know her, and, for the most part are willing to pick you up and drop you off at the lodge. The one day that we didn't do an arranged tour, we caught a ride into town with Theo and took a cab back in time for dinner.
This is a great place for families. Theo has two daughters and multilple dogs and cats. There were several families there while we were there, and the kids all had fun playing together around the grounds. Marcus will take you tubing on the river that runs by the property. We didn't have time to do this, but wish we had. It sounded like great fun.
The shared, open roofed bathroom and rustic huts made it seem a little like summer camp. We met some great people and explored a fascinating area of Belize.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple