“It grows on you”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Parrot Nest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Parrot Nest Lodge
Ranked #7 of 31 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Toronto
“It grows on you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

At first glance, the Parrot Nest Lodge seems like a lowly summer camp; spaced out, rickety rooms in a very communal setting. However, the people here make the place special. From the beginning, the hosts made sure that we were comfortable. Dinner was excellent and reasonable, and the rooms, though rustic, were fine. The bathroom is outside the rooms in the back. A few things of note: the Parrot Nest is located a long way from civlization, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. If you stay here, it does not make sense to go into town for dinner; you must eat at the lodge (which is worthwhile anyway). Further, there is no public transport near the lodge and cabs are very expensive, so unless you have your own car you need to make arrangements with the hosts to get into town. The clientèle is very young (and friendly). Also, the price is bar-none for the San Ignacio Area. Don't judge a book by its cover- for a night (or a few), the Parrot's Nest is worthwhile.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jsgToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is absolutely one of my favorite places in Belize. GREAT EXPERIENCE!! Theo and Marcus are awesome and very accomodating. They booked my tour, helped my change my transportation (THANK YOU!!!) and were very gracious hosts! The Parrot Nest Lodge is nestled in the illustrious jungle on the Mopan river. It was really cool and totally what I was looking for. They have some giant iguanas that campoutright in front. Marcus referred to one as "Godzilla" which was an appropriate name. They have free tubes if you want to take a short hike and tube down the river. The main lodge has wifi, really comfortable lounging chairs, and plenty of hammocks. I stayed in cabin 8 which was cozy and clean. It did not have a bathroom which to me was perfectly fine. It's really no issue. The bathrooms are very close and clean. The tree house looked pretty exciting to stay as well which some of my newly met friends stayed at. The dinners were amazing and I enjoyed being able to sit at dinner and talk with other fellow travelers. The desserts were toe curling good! That chocolate brownie and then the icecream were incredible. They have a beer and soda fridge which is done on the honor system of writing how many beers your have had on a note pad. It was funny to see how my beer marks resemebled the writing of a 4 year old as the night went on. They will serve you breakfast as well. The Marie's Coconut spread on the table is worth trying. It's absolutely mouth watering good. Try it on french toast or any toast. This really is a perfect jungle oasis on the river. Theo arranged my tour at the ATM which was one of the best things I have ever done. If you need any shuttle to and fro Belize City or Placencia, I would suggest using their preferred driver "William". He will turn the drive into a tour which is so worth it. I rode with him down to Placencia after meeting another traveler who was heading that way. He even has free wifi in the van. We made side stops at the blue river and an mininite icecream stand. Anyways, if you go to Belize, make sure you make a stop at the Parrot's Nest Lodge!! Sooo cool! Thanks again Theo and Marcus!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lake Forest, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Parrot Nest is both clean and comfortable. They stay true to their word of not nickel and diming their guests. The food is pretty good, with a dessert included with dinner every night. You go to sleep with the sound of the insects chirping and wake to the sound of singing birds. The surroundings are lush and tropical and the Mopan River is there for you to enjoy. During our stay, the property was not mosquito free as stated in their website. The reason I can't give them a perfect rating is because there is no warm water. Five nights of ice cold showers was almost more than I could take.
Theo goes above and beyond the call of duty. After dinner each evening, she makes sure that everyone is taken care of for the next day. Whether you need a tour booked, directions, etc., she's there to make sure your day goes smoothly and that you are happy. I don't know of any other place where you can get that personal touch. So overall, it is easy to recommend Parrot Nest Lodge.

Room Tip: Our verandah and personal bathroom added to overall comfort.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband I stayed here the first week of April and it lived up to all our expectations. We tubed down the river, caught a ride into town, ate breakfast/dinner on-site, and arranged tours through Parrot Nest. Everything was great. The free drinking water was a big plus and allowed us to fill up our bottles before going on tours for the day. The owners were wonderful along with the staff and other guests. They even held our bags for us while we took an overnight to Tikal. We stayed in one of the tree houses and one of the cabins with a bathroom. I think we preferred the tree house for just two people because it had a better breeze and fewer critters. Our cabin did have some geckos in it and there was a frog in the shower one day but that is just a part of the charm. Transportation getting into town was not a problem and there is even a little food shop within walking distance. Definitely plan on eating dinner here at least a few nights (everything was amazing) and take advantage of the free tubing. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling in the area.

Room Tip: The tree houses had a great breeze and fewer critters. Some of the cabins have outdoor bathrooms at...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashlea_Kay
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I started our Belizean adventure with 5 nights at the Parrot Nest at the end of Feb/beginning of March. We loved it far more than we had anticipated. We stayed in Cabin 8, which is one of the newer ones on the property. It does not have private bath, which was my biggest concern when coming to Parrot Nest, but it was not at all an issue. Even getting up in the middle of the night to walk to the restroom was no big deal, just grab a flashlight. Our cabin itself was basic and comfy. There is no air conditioner, but a fan was provided, and we slept comfortably on both the warmer and cooler nights while we were there. Nothing 'fancy' here - I suggest that everyone look at the guest pictures to decide if this is their kind of place as they are very representative.

By far, the best part of staying at Parrot Nest was the other guests! We had a great time chatting with everyone, hearing about their travels so far in Belize, as well as personal stories. The communal dinners were something that we were also not sure of when we got there - we had done the communal dinner thing when in Costa Rica and it was not impressive, socially or gastronomically. This place, on the other hand? Great people and delicious food. We seriously missed the cooking when we left. Theo has done a great job of making sure her guests are well fed - the portions are hearty, and everything was reasonably healthy and delicious. In the mornings, she makes a fabulous breakfast - get the veggie omelet, it is fantastic!

Service was spectacular - Theo calls the tour providers every evening after finding out what each guest/group wants to do, and sets up all of the pick-ups and tours for you. She even negotiated on prices a time or two - she is serious about making sure that her guests enjoy themselves while staying at Parrot Nest.

The setting for this lodge is also extremely pleasant - our of the main city San Ignacio, but a quick (5-10 minute) and inexpensive ($5 USD) cab ride in to town. Taxis are very easy to grab both to and from the lodge. The property itself is beautiful - set on the banks of the river (primarily visible from the main building) with trees everywhere and the sounds of wildlife chirping away. Bring a good book for your downtime, grab a hammock, and enjoy.

I highly recommend Parrot Nest to anyone looking into staying in the Cayo district. It was a perfect, low-key start to our much needed vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer C
abq
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hard to believe it took nearly a year to write our review, but perhaps we didn't want to face the fact that we weren't still there. I can't think of a more homey, comfortable, family-friendly place to stay in the Cayo region. We came with no plan, and ended up going on an exciting adventure every day, thanks to Teddy the tour guide. Wonderful meals, wonderful company, situated right on the refreshing Mopan river. I would highly recommend the Parrot Nest Lodge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Agawam, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We started our vacation in San Ignacio staying at Parrot Nest Lodge, and we are so unbelievably happy we did! We felt immediately welcome, especially when Marcus came with his huge grin saying to jump in the river!

We had cabin #5 with its own bathroom and it was very well screened in. Be prepared though as Belize does have some crazy insects!! (A glow beetle decided to spend the night with us one evening!)

The staff were wonderful, food was great, the wine was flowing, and we met some great people. It was very relaxing and unique. We also did some great tours in the area as well thanks to the great recommendations and arranging done by Marcus.

We were very well taken care of and enjoyed our stay! I wish we had more time there. Thank you all so much!

Ciara and Mark

Room Tip: We chose Cabin #5 for its private bathroom and being rustic and remote
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple