“Rustic and comfortable”
Review of Parrot Nest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Parrot Nest Lodge
Ranked #7 of 34 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Berkeley, California
“Rustic and comfortable”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Like everyone else, my travel partner and I found Parrot Nest to be rustic, and we had wished we had been able to reserve one of the cabins with an included bathroom.

That said, it's a great bargain, we loved the communal meals, being vegetarian was not a problem at all, the food was good and Theo's travel help and advice were a huge help.

We found it very beneficial to have a rental car to get to/from Parrot Nest, have easy access to nearby sights and freedom from the schedules of the guided tours. The roads in Belize are bad, but the freedom/flexibility was very worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yulia K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Seymour, Connecticut
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Consisting of several cabins and treehouses, Parrot Nest is surrounded on three sides by the Mopan River. Close proximity to the river and lush vegetation makes this a humid jungle environment. Parrot Nest was more rustic than other places we stayed in Belize. It was also the least expensive.

It may be a little difficult to find. We found the turn off of Bullet Tree Road by the market at GPS N17*10.115 W089*06.697 and Parrot Nest itself located at N17*10.451 W089*06.501

The photos and description on the Parrot Nest web site give the impression that these are lovely thatched roof cabanas located in an idyllic jungle setting. The setting is very nice and is jungle-like but, in reality, these are cabins with corrugated roofs. This includes the treehouse(s). We stayed in cabin #5 which we felt needs some repairs. I appreciate that it's a constant battle to keep things up. But cabin #5 looked to be the most in need of upgrade. Some of the other cabins look to have repairs or upgrades in process. You can see this in my attached photos.

In Cabin #5 there was a standard (maybe queen?) bed with mosquito netting and a twin bed without. A fan and some nightstands complete the furnishings. There is a small deck with a hammock and clothes line outside the backdoor. The private bath was quite rustic - shelves are the 2x4 studs. Although the plumbing was a bit old and mismatched, hot water and water pressure and water quality was very good. Towels and linens were clean. Due to the wet grounds (planks in the mud in some places), it was difficult to keep the floor clean. The bed was very comfortable: we slept best here than any other place in Belize.

When checking in, you are given a padlock and key for your cabin. Very simple.

There is a shared shower and toilet facility for those cabins that do not have private baths. I did not have opportunity to use those but noted that they were clean and well maintained.

The common room is very nice and is open. Seating for meals is communal and you have a wonderful opportunity to interact with other guests and talk about what each did during the day or what plans they had for the day. It was nice to hear others experiences and recommendations. We thought the food was very good especially for the price. Portions were large enough to satisfy our appetites. Vegetarian meals are available. If you chose to have dinner there, you mark your room number and meal on a chalkboard in the common area. The choice is simply vegetarian or not.

A refrigerator in the common room is stocked with beer, soda and other drinks. There is a small ledger for each room where you mark down what you take from the refrigerator using the honor system and it's added to your bill at check out. One night, Theo announced that the beer was almost gone and asked if anyone wanted her to run into town to get more. We declined but appreciated she was willing to go out at night to serve her guests.

Laundry service (self serve) is available and you also mark that on your ledger using the same honor system. The laundry area was somewhat disorganized (just like at home - LOL). We only used the dryer but marked down that we had used the laundry service and fully expected to pay. Because of that, I thought it was odd to overhear comments from the kitchen like: "That dryer is STILL running!" and later have Theo's mother personally complain to me about my small dryer load and how the cost of electricity keeps going up. Yeah, I get that. But, I had marked on my ledger that I had used the laundry service and fully expected to pay for what I had used. I did not think that was cool at all.

There is river tubing available but we did not take advantage of that. Parrot Nest is closer to the river that other lodges that claim to be "on the river". However, the river is not visible from any of the cabins that we saw. It is quite visible from the common room. You can hear the river at night - which is quite nice.

Theo was very friendly and accommodating. Clearly, this is not a high end resort. It is an inexpensive place to stay near the jungle yet still only a few miles from town. We've actually stayed in places that were far more rustic (even primitive) compared to Parrot Nest. If you go with these expectations you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CT-wni
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Over the past few years, I have stayed at a number of exotic hostels and lodges around the world - Parrot Nest is by far my favorite. It has a wonderful environment for those looking to be adventurous (living in the jungle is pretty cool!), backpacker (Theo and Marcus are so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the area's best activities), or simply someone looking for a relaxing but different experience. The location requires a cheap cab/collectivo to reach which is made up for by being right on the river and actually in a jungle-like environment.

Having breakfast and dinner at the lodge is an absolute must, as Theo prepares such spectacular meals. Being out of the way of the city also means that breakfast and dinner times were the perfect time to sit back and share stories with the other well-traveled guests. Having the chance to chat with Theo and Marcus throughout the stay also helped me to gain perspective about life in Belize.

Overall, I came into the experience thinking it was just a cool place to stay. I came out three nights later feeling a part of the family. I will not hesitate to say that I look forward to returning to Parrot Nest any time I am in the area in the future.

1 Thank clamchaoder
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Parrot Nest for 3 nights, and everything about our stay was beyond exceptional. The location is aobut 3 miles outside of San Ignacio but it's incredibly easy to grab a cab or collectivo back and forth (and all of the tours that Tao helped us booked actually picked us up and dropped us off at Parrot Nest). When it came to booking tours and figuring out what to do Tao and Marcus were so knowledgable and helpful with suggestions and handled all the bookings for us. In fact, while we were there ATM was closed due to the rain, and Tao and Marcus recommended that we try Crystal Cave instead since it's a dry cave (Definitely a must, but be warned that it is a definitely more intense than the other caves in the area). We were given a clean dry towel everyday, there was always hot water, and the rooms/bathrooms were always clean. Also if you stay here make sure that you have dinner there at least one night as the food is unbelievably delicious. You eat dinner with the other guests, and was a great place to talk to the other guests and get to know them. The atmosphere is completely relaxed, everything is based on the honor system (you grab a Belikin from the fridge you mark it on your sheet). Simply put, this place has no flaws and I can't wait to go back!

2 Thank Vincenzo R
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Can't say enough about our stay at Parrots Nest. This place is exactly what I was looking for and is a destination in and of itself. Marcus and his family were incredibly hospitable and welcoming. The communal dinners/breakfasts are a must! Dinner and a few Belikins turned into card games, story telling, new friends, and laughter into the night. I felt at home and truly relaxed within hours of arriving. If you're looking for a place to chill and a great experience, then Parrots Nest is the place to be.

2 Thank WalkAnyWhere
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed at the Parrot Nest for 4 days and had a great time. The kids loved the tree house they got to stay in, we all enjoyed tubing in the river, and it was a great jumping off spot for adventures around the Cayo region. Tao was extremely helpful in suggesting things to do, and was better than any 5 star hotel conceirge in helping us book tours. The meals were delicious, and having a common meeting spot to visit with fellow travelers was a nice added bonus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife was very apprehensive about staying at the Parrot Nest due to the rustic looking pics. No doubt it is rustic but the place has a great feel which is due to the hospitality of the hosts and the communal dining. It feels like a bed and breakfast. My wife and I loved it and wished we stayed longer. The food was excellent and Marcus even gave us a ride to the airstrip in Maya Flats after we insisted that we would get a cap. I have stayed at a lot of hotels and never had that kind of hospitality. Floating down the Mopan River is great too. We also enjoyed meeting the other guests and hearing about their travels.

• Stayed December 2012