“Parrot Nest Lodge is not the place to stay for R&R”
Review of Parrot Nest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Parrot Nest Lodge
Ranked #7 of 34 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Steinhatchee
“Parrot Nest Lodge is not the place to stay for R&R”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Parrot Nest Lodge. My husband had been ill in Mexico, so we thought it would be a good place to stay to relax and recoup while taking a few tours. The bugs will devour you, but we expected that. We are from Florida and are use to getting bit. The cabin was spacious and new with plumbing problems. There is a major road across the river and the traffic is heavy and noisy. The owner's dogs bark all night and one slept on our porch couch and had it wet with mud and dog hair. The mud on the grounds is awful. I survived a day of the ATM cave tour without falling or bruising. But when we returned to the cabin and got some of the mud on my shoes, I fell down my cabin steps and hurt my wrist, ankle and bruised my entire backside. Theo has a small girl and lives above the common area, and she made us feel uncomfortable about enjoying a drink and talking with the other guests after she retired for the night. The cook was a wonderful lady and we enjoyed her dinners and her conversation. But my husband and I really did not get a good vibe from the owner.

Room Tip: The cabins are spacious
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank SherryRozar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed February 21, 2012

If you've never been to Belize and are planning to visit the Cayo District, I highly recommend the Parrot's Nest. Theo and her family and staff go to great lengths to make you feel at home and comfortable. The people that pass through the nest are from all over the globe and always interesting. The common area is a meeting place for good conversation and sharing of the days adventures. The meals were great,the ambience superb! The price is very good for what you receive. I only wish I'd had this experience before we made reservations for Ambergris Caye. We learned so much at the nest we could have done the second half of our trip for half the price. Rey Weldert and Rebecca Morris

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca M
Cancun
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed for a few days at the Parrot's Nest in one of their treehouse cabins. The treehouses are just big enough for one double or two single beds and a fan. They have electricity but nothing more. The restroom is in a different building at ground level. This was interesting but I thought it was expensive for a cabin without a toilet. The location is a wonderful jungle setting not far from the village of Bullet Tree. The owners are very nice and helpful. They will arrange trips for you or give you a ride into town. The common area is very nice and the meals are great. Breakfast and supper are served here but no lunch. People often hang out there and socialize. It is outdoors and sometimes we had a few mosquito bites. They have ground level cabins with toilets but they are more money. The Parrot's Nest is a nice place but I think it is more practical to stay at a hotel in San Ignacio for about the same price. In town you have a wide choice of tours and resturants.

Room Tip: Treehouse cabins are interesting but do not have a toilet
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean Beach, California, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I have taken many trips to Belize and have stayed at many establishments. Nowhere, I mean nowhere, compares to the nest. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms comfortable and the food great. The two best parts of the Parrot's Nest are 1) Theo,Marcus and the girls-- I love you guys! As soon as you arrive you feel right at home and they are both full of great travel information. 2) The people you will meet. I have met some pretty amazing people at the Parrot's Nest. The communal dinner table allows everyone to meet and share conversation they otherwise probably never would. The beautiful part of travel are the people you meet and the adventures you embark upon-- you'll find it all at the nest!

Getting to town is easy and the worth-while tour companies will pick you up and drop you off at the lodge. It couldn't be easier! The river is amazing and tubing is a must.

It is a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
New Haven, Indiana
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I'll start with tips. 1) Bring ear plugs or a white noise maker - the jungle sounds are cool but loud and unless you're a heavy sleeper, they can wake you up in the middle of the night. 2) Don't forget bug spray!! 3) Use the dollar cab that takes you into town and picks you up/drops you off at the end of the road. Can't beat that price.

We stayed in cabin 5. This is a few steps above camping. In door toilet and shower plus electricity but very rustic. Perfect for what we were looking for. The owners have lots of tips and arrange outings for you if you ask. We had dinner once and the food was amazing. The pets are wonderful too!!

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fun_Traveler_258
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We spent 4-5 nights at Parrot Nest Lodge recently. This is the first place we decided to go to in Belize. We picked it at first because there were many activities we could do from there and it just seemed fun overall. The fact that there is only 6 cabins makes for a intimate ambiance. Everybody we met there was so nice and we barely spent any time in our room. Theo was great in helping to organize activities and I felt completely at home. They have a lot of pets which are all very sweet. I liked that we were a bit away from the city but could still go there by collectivo (kind of a public taxi) for just 2 dollars.

From there we went to Tikal, we did the ATM, Barton Creek Cave, Cahal Pech and the iguana farm.

The only negative point I could find is that Theo cooks so well that it doesn't make you feel like going out in town to try all the other food! ;-)

Everybody there was very quiet and respectful but there were some nights you could hear dogs barking or roosters from the village but nothing that earplugs can't fix.

Room Tip: We had reserved a treehouse and then a cabana because we didn't know how much we would enjoy the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
cambridge uk
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed at Parrot Nest Lodge for a few days at the start of January and loved it. The log cabins feel really eco-friendly and the communal area is the perfect place to chat and meet other travellers after a hard day out doing activities! Beers, soda, tea and coffee are all available as well as an evening meal if you want it (all rates are so reasonable!)

Just a really lovely place to stay - would definitely recommend!

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple