“Very hospitable and welcoming staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rosa's Hotel

Rosa's Hotel
Sacramento, California
“Very hospitable and welcoming staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I went on a solo backpack trip through Belize and San Ignacio was my first stop. I was a little overwhelmed at first, being in a new country and a new city by myself, but when I checked into rosa's the staff instantly made me feel right at home. My room was very clean and reasonably priced, and they have a great balcony that's perfect for tipping back a few belikins. Santos, who worked at the front desk, was great in explaining where to go and what to do in San Ignacio. He even took the time to personally show me around the town. I reccomended this hotel to a group of backpackers I met in San Pedro and they had nothing but good things to say about it as well when I spoke with them after their visit.
I would reccomended this hotel to anyone that's visiting San Ignacio, especially backpackers. I will definitely be staying here again on my next trip.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Jackfinn83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Steinhatchee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed here 2 different nights. It is not a place to rest. When we first arrived we were greeted by Rudy (Mercedes Diaz) he checked us in and helped us fix our phone and walked us to an inexpensive restaurant. If he is the con artist the owner likes us to believe, why was he at the front desk to check us in. Rosa was there the entire time and encouraged us to follow his lead. The second time we stayed there, Martin was at the desk and was a very sweet but confused individual. Rosa later directed Rudy to our room. Rudy was interested in buying phones from the US and shipping them to Belize with our assistance. I had met alot of money hungry residents in Belize. Rosa and her staff are no different. Rosa feigned ignorance, but this scam is ongoing and I am sure she received her cut of all the tours and taxis Rudy arranged for us.

Room Tip: Not a place to stay if you need quiet. Use a cheap room with a fan instead of paying extra for A/C.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosa's H, Manager at Rosa's Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Rosa's Hotel is located downtown San Ignacio so you can expect a bit of noise, there's nothing much we can do about it. We try to make our guest feel at home but out in the street we can't stop people Like Rudy from making Belize earn a bad name. We have contacted the Belize Tourism Board but they still can't get this guy out of the streets. This guy is not employed by Rosa's Hotel, he is a street hustler and he is banned from our place. I don't understand how you can say this guy checked you in since Martin our front desk clerk was at the front desk both times. Furthermore you said Rudy got a cab for you and that you think the owner got a cut out of tours and the taxi you paid, this are false accusations but we thank you for giving your review more spice.
Lancaster, Pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

The owner seemed friendly and accommodating, but the room we got smelled of BO and mold. the "gentleman" she let talk to us about the room and the reservation we had made lied about the price, yelled at my friend for questioning him, overcharged us for a taxi and gave us bad information about Barton Creek where we were going next. I HATE to give bad reviews because I know anyone can have an off day but you cannot run a business and let someone even the taxi driver referred to as a lying thief walk all over you and lie to customers right in front of you. I believe the guy in question is called "Crazynibs" or the like, and when he was gone the experience was good for a budget hotel in central america if a bit pricy, but when he was there it was truly a miserable time. He also went so far as to demand we pay him additional money since the taxi driver didn't give him his cut. keeping in mind all this should ahve been arranged from the multiple emails and call made before we arrived This all happened in front of Rosa the owner. On the up side the doors had good locks and the front door is locked and manned all night so at least it felt safe in that regard. Do yourself a favor though and stay at the Central Hotel or other backpacker friendly place unless you want a huge hassle with no upside.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room, i hear some are better and airier than others, there is a nice balcony on the 3...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nightbrightener
Rosa's H, Manager at Rosa's Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to clearly point out that this guy you are referring to as "crazynibs" is not employed by Rosa's Hotel. His name is Rudy and he is called "cuculik" and he's a pest that lingers around town making Hotels and Tour Guide companies earn a bad name. He tricks tourists by telling them that he is a professional tour guide and that he works with hotels like Rosa's. In reality he is not a tour guide, he does not have a Tour Guide License and I am sure he is not employed by any hotel in town. He is banned from many hotels, restaurants, tour guide companies and he is now banned from Rosa's Hotel as well. Also i would like to mention that we do have a guy named Martin Castillo that is employed by us and he is always by the Front desk and is sometimes at the bus terminal with his uniform. The reason why I am saying this is because he fits the description of Rudy. We have made complaints to the Belize Tourism Board and I am sure they will take him out of the streets soon.
Columbus, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

The folks who run the hotel are overwhelming nice. They have absolutely no control over their next door neighbor's noise and the sound is the loudest that I have ever experienced in my life. Next door is a juke joint that blares loud music all night long. The noise is also overwhelming. At 3 am one morning, from an upper B&B balcony, I observed numerous folks coming out of the juke joint and rolling cigarettes, It smelled like cannabis. Allegedly some dishonest politicians are involved in this trade. On the positive side, the Maya ruins are magnificent. It is as plain as the nose on one's face, that honest local officials would not allow this.

Room Tip: Sleep on the side of the B&B opsite the juke joint.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Tulum, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed there new years eve and we had a blast. Rosa and her family are great hosts and most helpful. Rooms are basic and clean and you have Internet. Super nice was that the family tries to help you getting settled and comfortable and than getting organized for your travel as much as they can.

Looking forward to meet them again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
San Ignacio, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Rosa's Hotel makes you feel as you are home, the staff is very nice and the owner Ms.Rosa is a very kind lady. They offer continental breakfast, loundry services, wifi internet access, tour info. Is the right in heart of San Ignacio, in the evening you can enjoy the sunset and in the morning the sun rised..a place you must visit.

Room Tip: The rooms with AC and Tv are fantastic, is quiet and cooler.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Lupitamurcia_12
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Had some idea what the descriptions of Belize hotels might mean, but thought that the term "midrange" would just mean: more expensive than my usual budget accommodations. Was pleasantly surprised to find Rosa's family offered a genuinely sincere desire to assist jetlagged, mildly confused wanderers like myself to sort things out --even was offered a late checkout to hide from the blistering sun. The fresh fruit and coffee makes a welcome breakfast, and one can certainly combine the air-con and TV to a satisfactory "noise cancelling" effect.
You can't fake the kind of customer service and attention to detail this family provides. Your first night off the plane can set the tone for the rest of your trip. I consider my decision to rest here before seeing the ruins and staying at Barton Creek to be just the right cure for sweaty buses and overcrowded aircraft.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo