“Best in Belize”

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Cahal Pech Resort is more than just a resort with a fantastic location overlooking the town of San Ignacio. It is the people who own the facility and work there. I have never been surrounded by a happier, helpful and friendly bunch of folks who are not looking for a tip but genuinely eager to please visitors.
The facilities are clean, the food is good and the rooms were comfortable with reliable warm running water. The town is a $3.50 US ride away with lots to see and do.
My first contact was with Lenny, the manager, by email. He is extremely helpful and willing to work out all tour plans ahead of time. The tour operator Lenny set us up with was fantastic. These are not jthe "follow me and don't ask to many questions" guides, but possibly the most educated guides I have ever seen who love what they do and enjoy showing Belize to the tourists. The two tours are the Aktun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) cave tour and Tikal Ruins tour in Guatamala. I belive the tours were by PacZ tours but check with Lenny to be sure.
When I return to Belize, oh yes I am going back, the only place inland I will stay is Cahal Pech.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank david h
There are newer reviews for Cahal Pech Village Resort

Reviewed May 20, 2007

Paid a little more than we wanted to but got our money's worth with the decent luxury. Our room was about 95 USD per night. However, it was great for the two days we spent there this past April. What I remember the most is that after coming from Caye Caulker on a long boat ride and then a long "chicken bus" ride, it was wonderful to have two pools at our disposal.
I remember the service at the restaurant being unpredictable as far as slow, accurate, etc. However, after cave exploring, we weren't in any hurry to do much else while we waited for our food. Get a table quickly if you plan to eat when things get busy at mealtime.
Complaints would be for strange things such as how they ran out of various foods (tomatoes, etc.) for the time we were there. Made for a small menu for both snacktime and dinner. Also, the water pressure and temperature were challenging to get the hang of. (We also stayed in the Tikal 301 room which greatly resembles or is the same as the Tenn guests who wrote the review left in February.) The A/C did not come out cold at all. We decided to run it as a fan and keep the screened-in shutter flaps open during the night. Despite the screens and our great efforts, there were lots & lots of bugs in our room & porch--many of them HUGE!
Lenny promptly answered all email inquiries.
The pool was awesome for those hot afternoons and when we returned from our excursions.
The slow but free internet was nice to send quick messages back home. All other internet places in town charged a ton.
Before writing this review, I noticed most of this info. and same pictures are already here. I however want to stress how way cool the Actun Tunichil Muknal tour was. At 80 USD per person with the mayawalk tour company, the day tour was incredible and very much worth the 3-4 hour bus ride from Belize City.
We walked down to town at night. Not much there and the walk back was dark dark dark along the stone road hill!
When we go back, we'll pick a cheaper place in town and maybe visit "CPVR" for an afternoon of the pools at the minimal cost they charge for their use.
And we'll also definitely hit Actun Tunichil Muknal & Tikal.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank funnychap24
Reviewed May 19, 2007

May 6-10, 2007 Our cabana wasn't a 4-star hotel, but if that's what you need, you shouldn't be going to Belize anyway. The cabana was very comfortable. The screened porch was a nice touch. All of the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. Once we got there and saw the other hotel options in the area, we were convinced we had made the best choice to stay at Cahal Pech Resort. Lenny arranged for our tours to Caracol and ATM. Caracol was interesting and worth seeing, although the 2-hour drive each way on a very poor road took away some of the enjoyment. The Cahal Pech ruins (5 minute walk from the resort) are equally impressive. The "ATM" tour was a highlight of our entire trip. You need to be in decent shape, and endure walking over rocks in stocking feet, but this was truly one of the most memorable tour experiences we've ever had. Overall, we have no hesitation in recommending Cahal Pech Resort to anyone visiting Western Belize.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank ruger55
Reviewed May 11, 2007

This is our second trip to Belize and second stay at Cahal Pech. Sixteen months after our first trip, the staff remembered us and brought out a bag that we had left from our first trip with the contents intact. We had assumed it lost by the airline long ago and written it off as gone. Those are some honest people. Everybody there treats you like family and will arrange for meals in town, transportation, equipment, whatever you might need. It is nice, clean and full of character, exactly what we look for in a room. Not perfect, not posh, but the very nice and the most accomodating staff in all my years of travels.

Cahal Pech Mayan ruins are a 2 minute walk from the resort. We took about 4 hours this trip to check them out. This ruin dates back nearly 3000 years! Very interesting. Also check out the caves, the jungle and the turquoise waters of the ocean before you leave the country. San Ignacio is a great launch point to visit Tikal ruins in Guatemala and can be done in a day trip.

Daniel Silva, the owner, is a prince among men and is loved and respected by his staff, so the attitude permeates the resort. Mr. Silva once served as a minister in forming the Belize government and is also the man to know if you are interested in buying property or doing any kind of business in Belize.

Friendliness and hospitality are also the rule in San Ignacio where we walked at night and felt safer than any town in the U.S. People of every color were out with their children and always quick to smile and say hello.

Belize is truly an unspoiled gem that is quickly becoming recognized by the rest of the world. I hope that it never changes.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasTeej
Reviewed April 26, 2007

My boyfriend and I had the best vacation ever!
I found Cahal Pech via a web search. Lenny organized a great vacation for us and it was much less expensive than other travel outfits in Belize. We spent 4 nights at Cahal Pech, 1 night at the Jungle Lodge in Guatamala, and 3 nights at Banana Beach in Ambergis Caye. We barely had to lift a finger during the entire trip. All of our transportation was organized, we had fantastic private tour guides, and most of our meals were included.
We went horse back riding, canoeing, cave exploring, touring Maya ruins (both Caracol and Tikal), zip lining, cave tubing, and snorkeling (at the coast on Ambergis Caye). Thanks to our guides Luis, Bruce (the best!), Anna, Luis (in Tikal), Hugo, and Israel. They really made it a great experience.
Both Cahal Pech and the Jungle Lodge were very nice accomodations. Never once did we have to deal with a loss of hot water or bugs. Everything was clean and very nice. I can't sing enough praises for the wonderful staff. The room at Banana Beach Resort was a little disappointing. We always had mosquitos buzzing around and there was absolutely no water pressure. My boyfriend had to pour water over my head with a cup he filled at the sink just to get the shampoo out of my hair!
The food we had everywhere was very good. Everything was always very fresh. The breakfasts at Cahal Pech can't be missed. Fresh bread and tortillas are baked every day. The only disappoint with Cahal Pech's meals was the extra costs incurred if your meals were included (which ours were). You only can order certain items off the menu, everything thing else is an "additional charge". I think we did save money in the end having our meals included, but it would have been nice to know that from the start.
Overall, a great place to stay! I read all of the other reviews before I went on vacation and they made me unnecessarily nervous. Give this place a chance. . . it's a great deal and you'll have an amazing time!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JandGCali
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We had a fantastic night at this hotel/cabana. We had a little cabana overlooking the town below. It was so nice to hang out in the hammock and do nothing for an hour after the long flight and drive.
The food was very good and everyone was so nice. I will stay here again next time I come to Belize.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple