“A little piece of heaven right here on earth”

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
Waukegan
“A little piece of heaven right here on earth”
Reviewed October 16, 2009

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here at Cahal Pech, we couldn't have chosen a more perfect place.
We were greeted by a friendly manager, Cynthia, who personally attended to our every need. Our tours, meals and all other activities were perfectly orchestrated by her.
All the staff was super friendly, the rooms were immaculately clean, the meals were the best we had in the entire country.
We are definately returning next year for our anniversary.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 13, 2009

As someone who works in the catering field I am always skeptical about staying at hotels and eating at restaurants. I had no knowledge of Cahal Pech and no expectations whatsoever. But I am sure glad that I did booked there. I had such a wonderful time that I have already booked again for my next Belize Vacation this December.

From the time my party and I checked in, we were greeted by the staff and escorted to our two room thatched cabana which was bigger than I expected. The view from the master bedroom was unbelievable, I just stood there for a moment to soak it all in. The food was delicious especially the fry jacks, the drinks at the bar were amazing - the best margaritas I’ve ever had, the rooms were immaculate with a/c and tropical flowers, the bathroom was clean with running hot water which is a plus in Belize, the pool was a relaxing spot to unwind after a long hot day, the grounds were well maintained, the sunset and the views of the mountains and the valley below is so spectacular from every location on the resort.

But most of all the friendly and helpful staff made us feel right at home with wonderful service and amazing conversations. Thanks to Caesar, Tanya, Theresa, Anna, Luis and the rest of the Staff for making my stay at Cahal Pech so unforgettable.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

My hubby and i just came back from Belize and stayed at the Cahal Pech Village Resort. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed being there. The staff was wonderful to us and they were always attentive to all of our request. We stayed at the Resort for a week and it was a memorable experience.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Stayed here for three nights in August. Picked this hotel as we wanted the "Cabana" experience. Unfortunately, upon arriving, we were not greeted in any way, no one helped with our luggage, tour desk was closed and never opened and there was absolutely no response when we asked about tours, restaurants etc. We were shown our cabana which was large (2 bedrooms) had a sitting room and screened in porch, but was infested with large ants and furnished with old and battered furnishings. The ants were promptly dealt with and we were given a can of bug spray should they return.

Next day there was a staff change and the day manager was friendly and helpful and gave us lots of information about touring, directions etc. If not for him, I think we would have checked out.

Nice having the pool, but it was dirty and not well maintained during the day.
Restaurant was fine.

Mixed on whether to reccommend this hotel as the Cabanas are very spacious which is great when travelling with children but really need to be better maintained. Good location for which to go on day trips.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SusanKNewYork
USA
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Beautiful location and lots of advertising hype. But not all that impressive. Pool is outstanding. Rooms are not. Staff are disengaged and unresponsive. Food was just okay. all seemed over-priced compared to some local options. Did NOT like the walk to town from the STEEP dirt hill.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SmithSojourner
Novato, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We recently spent 6 nights at the Cahal Pech Village Resort. We were staying with two young children, and ended up with both rooms in a cabana, which was nice, as it meant two bathrooms and separate sleeping accommodations. The staff was terrific, and really went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

When it comes to the rooms, they were clean and well cared for. I hate to have to mention that when we first got there, our half of the cabana smelled a little like urine, which I think originated from the upholstered couch and loveseats. The smell dissipated over our stay, so it seems as though there may have been some bad behavior from a previous occupant, or it may have come from outside. I say that I hate to mention it, because it is apparent that the staff takes care to clean thoroughly and the smell clearly didn't come from a lack of attention paid to the rooms. The rooms have very comfortable futon-like mattresses on the beds. Our half of the cabana had a king bed, and the kids had a full/double each. Each half the cabana had a hammock in the screened-in porch. Two things that are missing from the spacious rooms are either a dresser or a closet to unpack into. We like to unpack a bit if staying in a place longer than a night, and unfortunately, we were living out of our suitcases for the whole trip. The bathrooms are also inexplicably missing towel racks and a place for soap/shower essentials in the shower. Adding closets and towel racks will go a long way to increasing the comfort level of the rooms.
The pool was a highlight of the trip. It is immaculately maintained and is very popular with the locals in the area as well as the hotel guests. The pool is on three levels, so there seemed to always be one area where adults could escape small children if they were inclined.
The restaurant at the location was decent. The staff is very friendly, but do be advised that the food can take quite a while to arrive, particularly if tables are full. Food seems to arrive when it arrives (and this happened quite often throughout Belize).
A note about San Ignacio: it can be noisy. Even though the resort is at the top of an unpaved road at the top of a hill, there was a surprising amount of traffic. Also, barking, and one night, whimpering, dogs, are common throughout the night. I should also mention the loud fireworks that were set off somewhere nearby at 4:00 am, waking us up. There is really no way to block the noise while keeping the rooms cool and taking advantage of breezes outdoors, so if you're interested in not having a isolated resort, be advised that it can be noisy. Also noisy - the abundant bird life found in the area that also starts at 4:00 am. However, that becomes a wonderful way to wake up!
We love staying close to villages and towns when travelling, so it was a treat to get to know the owner and his grandchildren, who played with my young son. He will have that memory of the warm and inviting people of Belize, which is one reason we travel.
We did arrange two activities through the resort during our stay, a trip to Barton Creek to go cave canoeing, and horseback riding. Bruce from the resort took us to the caves, a wonderful trip that went through Mennonite farms and then through the caves themselves. He also leads birdwatching expeditions and other things and we found him wonderful. Steve took my daughter and me on a jungle horseback ride, and we had a marvellous time.
I have definitely stayed at nicer, more upscale places, but I think this is a great value for the money and is also in a fantastic location for accessing all kinds of destinations, like Xunantunich, Barton Creek, Cahal Pech and San Ignacio itself, and more. If you think of it as low frills but very clean and comfortable, you will be happy with this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
California
Reviewed June 19, 2009

This is a wonderful hotel overlooking the pleasant, friendly town of San Ignacio. We stayed in a cabana with a great view and large bedroom.

Everyone on the hotel staff were extremely helpful, and arranged topnotch tours (ATM, Tikal, cave tubing) with kind and knowledgeable guides and drivers.

Reasonable room rates, a pool that was wonderful to cool off in after daily adventures, a reasonably priced restaurant and bar, and, once again, a very hospitable staff. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the Cayo District of Belize. It's also conveniently located for a multitude of tours and adventure.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple