“The view and staff are fantastic!”

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed January 22, 2014

First things first, don't expect much from your room. This is a great base camp for seeing San Ignacio and going on cave and maya ruin tours. The staff is great (Oscar the bartender makes amazing drinks and has been there for years), the place is clean, the pool is pretty, and the view is stunning. The rooms are ok but the entire resort really needs updating. I think our AC was older than I am, the hot tub wasn't hot once during our week stay, and the fountain out front was empty and filled with mold. That said, it's a good stay for the price. Warm showers, laundry service, comfortable beds, and decent food. They did drop the ball on picking us up from the airport. We ended up taking a cab after waiting an hour. I would suggest finding your own tours and transportation and don't rely on the resort. Especially since weather can change tour availability.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms offer the best view. Don't spend more than you need to since this is more of a g...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kayo617

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The website is very misleading. They picked us up at the airport, but there is another person arriving in a few hours, to be nice, we decided to wait. We asked he driver to take us around Belize city and we would pay him extra. He said there's not enough gas in the van and all gas stations are closed due to the holiday (1/1/14). That was a lie! We saw plenty gas stations opened with cars filling up. After a grueling 2 hrs trip on a barely paved road, we arrived in Cayo. We looked at each other in horror because of the slum appearance of the town. I have traveled to Belize twice before, but stayed at resort town like Placencia and Ambergris, so we did not expect a place that called themselves a resort to be in a slum. It's night time at this point so we hoped for the best. They escorted us to our cabana, which is ~150sqft at max. It was dirty, run down, TV that doesn't work. We immediately noticed the huge stains in the bed spread of both beds. I took the bedspread off to inspect further, and the sheets has dried spots of blood stain!!! Its late, and we were pretty much told there's no van out at this hour or would it be safe to drive in the dark unpaved road. We also thought its cute that the night stand is an actual chair! We slept on top of the towels that we brought from home that night. In the morning, we managed to book a hotel in Ambergris island trying to salvage the vacation at this point. We already paid for 1/2 of the cost of the stay at Cahal Pech, I really don't want to pay the rest due to false advertisement. This place is a nasty Motel 6 at best. They told us the vans are out picking up clients, none available until 6 pm, but they can call a taxi for $200, but it will be an hour. It doesn't look very positive at this point and we just want to leave, so I decided to pay the rest of the amount. As soon as she swiped my credit card, the van arrived within 5 min to pick us up (free of charge since transfer is part of the package). I asked the driver (different guy than the one that picked us up) how did he get here so fast, I was told there's no resort van available. He said he lives around the corner and there's no shortage of driver around Cayo. Oh boy, feeling even more ripped off at this point, but on the bright side, we escaped unharmed.

The rest of our trip in Ambergris Island is wonderful and relaxing. We kissed the sandy beach upon arrival and just so thankful to be in a safe and beautiful environment. I highly recommended The Palms resort, excellent customer service, clean, and delivered the resort promise.

Please stay away from Cahal Pech Village Resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hanh N
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Staying here for three nights enabled us to catch up on rest during our two-week tour of Belize.
Our room, IXPUHIL/604, was vast with huge, comfortable beds and there were balconies on two sides. The fun comes in trying to work the lighting as there is only one light for the whole room and the switch is hidden around a corner.
The hotel made a good base for exploring the area and the walk up from the town works up an appetite.
Do take the time to visit the Mayan site next door as it is both quiet and intimate.

Room Tip: Anything with a 6-- will be in the new wing which has vast rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I would have to agree with one of the previous reviews that it really was a nice hotel at one time, but they have not kept up on maintenance. Like everyone has said, the view is great, they have a nice pool and a bar and restaurant area that is also fun to go to. The problem is that for what they charge, they have not kept up on maintenance. We rented several rooms and so we were aware of the fact that how well your TV worked and what channels your TV got depends on what room you have. We wanted to watch a football game and had to keep switching rooms to find a TV that got the right channel. In the morning when we got up there was no running water in any of our rooms. When we reported it we were surprised to find out that an hour and a half latter the head of maintenance still had come to fix it but instead kept trying to talk another employee how to fix it. When he did finally show up he had it fixed in just a few minutes, but by then it was too late for us as we had to leave for a tour and so we had to go without showers. If he had come when it was first reported it would have been a non-issue. They only have internet in one small corner of the hotel and do not have it in the rooms. With todays technology there is no reason for a hotel that charges over $100 US a night for a room to not have internet access. I have to believe that the 4 and 5 star reviews of the hotel are based on the view and location, not based upon the hotel itself.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the bar and you might get internet access in your room. However, if there...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The first time I went there and I saw that view of all the Cayo lights and it was beautiful. I did have some problems... 1.) I vomited (not from the food). 2.) I got my head cut in the pool (I survived). But anyway, I love the rooms and the myan style it has. The resturant server delicious food. We slept in a cabana once ant it was BETTER that a room (Rooms have better views of the lights).

Room Tip: Rooms have better views of the lights. Cabanas are better than room and more luxury.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank xMinecrafter55x
Reviewed January 8, 2014

It is completely unreasonable to rate this place any lower then a 4 and its certainly not a 5. This is a very nice hotel on the outskirts of San Ignacio. We stayed 8 nights over Christmas in a 2 room suit in the main building which had two bedrooms and one common room with a flat screen TV. OUR TOWELS WERE NOT THREADBEAR. OUR SHEETS WERE NOT DIRTY. OUR ROOMS WERE VERY CLEAN. They took our bags to our room up on the second floor on the main buildings. We had an all inclusive plan including tours every day and 3 meals a day in the restaurant. Breakfast is a buffet with 4-6 hot items. Dinner on the all inclusive is one entree and a non alcoholic drink. I found the food to be excellent and the menu selection was large with around 5 chicken entrees, 5-6 fish/shrimp entrees, 2 beef, and 3-4 pork entrees. Vegy selections available. The people working here are the best. Let me repeat. They are the nicest people in the world. Maybe the bungalows are more rustic but not where we were. I can't give this a 5 as I have much higher standards for a 5. No marble or granite. Food prices seem to be high for those not on an inclusive plan. An AC unit was present in each room. Room service was available at no additional cost. I would definitely stay here again and its a phenomenal place to use as a base for adventures in western Belize. There is the San Ignacio hotel down the street but it had no suites for us. Most other resorts are way outside of town or on dirt roads in the country that I would kill myself having to drive there and back on a daily basis for excursions. This is also not an eco resort, Hotel and Pool are extremely family friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank craboi
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were traveling with a small group- Natural Habitat. This was our first two nights in Belize on the formal trip. We were going to ATM cave and Cave Tubing so this was a close location to those adventures. Everyone seemed friendly. All rooms are not created equal except that they all need repair and to be cleaned better. A property doesn't have to be luxury to be clean. Towels were like rags. Sheets were old and dirty. Chairs outside on porch were rusty and mix matched. The ac unit worked but it's right next to your head. No one helped deliver bags up steep hill and steps. The restaurant was outside and had a nice view of the city lights. We ate as a group and the food was cold both nights. Service was ok at best. This is not a "resort". It's in the middle of a city on a hill. You overlook businesses. It's not charming. It did have a nice pool. It a quick walk to a archaeological site that is also nice to visit. I would not recommend this establishment. There has to be better in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends