“Beautiful, Local, and the best people”

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here to be close to the Cahal Pech Archaeological Site. The hotel is beautiful and the view is even better. Of course, it's hot, so drink lot's of water and make sure you coordinate all you do with Hotel Manager, Cynthia. She's brilliant and so are all the staff.

Room Tip: They're all great. Either a hotel room with a view and an air conditioner or a cabana (which, i...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Warren_Cancilla

Reviewed February 26, 2013

we recently returned from a package vacation at the cahal pech resort in san ignatio. Our tour was coordinated with Lenny and was all inclusive of meals, transportation, tours, and border transfers. We never met him but he was most reasonable and reliable in all email correspondence. We understood that the tours were actually handled by Shamira - a delightful person who arranged our tours, drivers and transfers perfectly to the T. We enjoyed a 1 BR cabana complete with hammock, comfortable with functional a/c and hot water. Food was very good, much better than expected, and our treatment/service from the front desk, waiters, and all drivers was superb. The only nuisance was occasional parade of ants in our room - we were informed that "this is the tropics". True to form, the ants always left as quickly as they arrived and never seemed to get into our clothes or luggage. I would advise keeping all your food/snacks in the compact refrigerator (as we did) though! Nevertheless, we were amazed at how the whole trip went without a glitch - a REAL bargain for the money!

Room Tip: cabana huts are great for couples and hammock is a very nice feature
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here one night just before going to Tikal. They let us leave our car in the parking lot as you cannot bring your rental car into Guatemala. They also arranged to have us picked up at the border by their driver the next day. We took at taxi to the border, which was half the cost of their driver. They called the cab for us. I have Celiac, and had dinner there without a problem. The host at the check in desk had the restaurant manager come talk with me. She took notes and made me feel safe, and with good reason. The food was nice and I had no gluten!
They have a two level pool and an outdoor shower which my 12 year old son enjoyed a lot. They are a very short walk to the Cahal Pech site, which you should not miss. We had a car, so drove into town, but if you are in shape it is an easy walk. The town is really enjoyable. We liked the Saturday market a lot. This place was a very good value and everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Cahal Pech Village Resort with 11 friends over a weekend. We arrived late-ish on Friday night, and there were three of us per suite. The suites were well-appointed and all had air-con. Very nice bathrooms as well. Restaurant had pretty good food at a reasonable price. Nice pool area. AMAZING view of San Ignacio, since the hotel is on a large hill. Also, just a few hundred yards down the road from the hotel are the ruins of Cahal Pech, which I really, really enjoyed. They don't get as much action as the larger Xunantunich or Tikal, so my friends and i practically had the place to ourselves!
You can book loads of excursions through the hotel, and we booked a tour for ATM cave. Since the hotel is a middle-man, you pay more, but in a time crunch, it worked for us. Next time, I'd look to book independently.
We each paid 170 US for the weekend, which was for the rooms and the tour, and none of us had to share a bed. The tour was about 105 or 110 of that, so 35 US per night is not bad!
I'd definitely stay again, even if it is a little bit farther from being "in" all the action of San Ignacio.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Cahal Pech Resort was our first stop on a week long visit to Belize. Arriving late in the afternoon after a long ride from Belize City airport, we were given accommodations in the cabanas below the main building. While charmingly rustic, the cabanas had a few minor issues. If you are used to sleeping with nature, then by all ,means try one out. The trade off is low water pressure and an uphill climb to the bar and dining area. One plus is the hammock strung across the screened patio. Positives for this resort are the very friendly staff, large pool, and large breakfast. Negatives, depending on your perspective and ability to climb long hills, the distance from town, non-functioning hot tub at the pool, weak and constantly fluctuating internet service, and a below average dinner menu. Would I stay again, for the price conscious yes, otherwise try the Hotel San Ignacio.

Room Tip: While the cabanas look enticing, the lack of water pressure, no internet in the cabanas, and distanc...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at this hotel. We were with a group and not in charge of booking so really had no idea what to expect, but were very pleased. We stayed in one of the cabanas which was very charming in a rustic way. The pool area was very well kept and large and expansive. The food was delicious for breakfast and dinner and the staff was always so friendly and helpful. The views of the city were great and if I ever came back to this part of Belize, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms inside the main building, but our cabana was great and I would suggest re...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TerriMTay
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I should start out by saying I stayed in one of the "new" junior suites. I guess their idea of a "suite" is different than mine - the "suite" was a large room that had, in addition to 2 queen size beds, a couch & side chair along with a small table between the 2. Note - no lamps except for the overhead light. No bureau for clothes (used the couch/chair as combo bureau/night stand. No luggage rack. No remote control for TV. No control for A/C. As for all that- finally got a remote for the TV and control for the A/C. Small balcony -but no chairs to sit on to enjoy the view. The bathroom was poorly lit and hot water came out in a weak stream. I discovered during a rain storm that the sliding door to the balcony wasn't sealed - water all over the floor. I had to ask to have the outside lights be put on when I returned to my room after dark (until I found the switch -then I did it myself).

Given the above I found that at over $100/night it was NOT a good deal. The grounds of the hotel were very nice, food, while the menu was limited was decent and if you could find a time when there were no kids around the pool was great. Staff did what they could but unfortunately I felt their hands were tied in some areas. While the location was outside of down town, I found using a cab to get back & forth was easy and cheap - I think it was about $3.00 each way, and I ended up hiring the taxi driver to take me a couple of places that I couldn't get a tour to (as a single I found there were times when tour operators weren't running a tour because they couldn't get enough people). The only other thing I would add is to be very careful if you're using the outside concrete steps during or just after it's rained - I went down - hard - when my feet went out from under me trying to get back to my room - and unfortunately there was no other way to get there. So - all in all, if I'd been paying half of what I was paying, I'd say I got what I paid for and I'd have no complaints.

Room Tip: Unless things have improved dramatically, don't pay extra for a "suite".
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo