“Great resort, wonderful staff”

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
Denver
“Great resort, wonderful staff”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at this hotel. We were with a group and not in charge of booking so really had no idea what to expect, but were very pleased. We stayed in one of the cabanas which was very charming in a rustic way. The pool area was very well kept and large and expansive. The food was delicious for breakfast and dinner and the staff was always so friendly and helpful. The views of the city were great and if I ever came back to this part of Belize, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms inside the main building, but our cabana was great and I would suggest re...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TerriMTay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I should start out by saying I stayed in one of the "new" junior suites. I guess their idea of a "suite" is different than mine - the "suite" was a large room that had, in addition to 2 queen size beds, a couch & side chair along with a small table between the 2. Note - no lamps except for the overhead light. No bureau for clothes (used the couch/chair as combo bureau/night stand. No luggage rack. No remote control for TV. No control for A/C. As for all that- finally got a remote for the TV and control for the A/C. Small balcony -but no chairs to sit on to enjoy the view. The bathroom was poorly lit and hot water came out in a weak stream. I discovered during a rain storm that the sliding door to the balcony wasn't sealed - water all over the floor. I had to ask to have the outside lights be put on when I returned to my room after dark (until I found the switch -then I did it myself).

Given the above I found that at over $100/night it was NOT a good deal. The grounds of the hotel were very nice, food, while the menu was limited was decent and if you could find a time when there were no kids around the pool was great. Staff did what they could but unfortunately I felt their hands were tied in some areas. While the location was outside of down town, I found using a cab to get back & forth was easy and cheap - I think it was about $3.00 each way, and I ended up hiring the taxi driver to take me a couple of places that I couldn't get a tour to (as a single I found there were times when tour operators weren't running a tour because they couldn't get enough people). The only other thing I would add is to be very careful if you're using the outside concrete steps during or just after it's rained - I went down - hard - when my feet went out from under me trying to get back to my room - and unfortunately there was no other way to get there. So - all in all, if I'd been paying half of what I was paying, I'd say I got what I paid for and I'd have no complaints.

Room Tip: Unless things have improved dramatically, don't pay extra for a "suite".
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Pros:
- Amazing staff and service. We missed our connection flight and arrived a day late, they were able to accomodate us for an extra night during high season and didn't charge us for the night we missed or for the fact that the driver had to go meet us at the airport two days in a row. Felt like the staff knows most customers by name even though this is a fairly large hotel.
- Amazing views, we really enjoyed hanging out at the bar
- Literally couple of minutes by taxi away from downtown San Ignacio but very peaceful

Cons:
- The restaurant was disappointing - choices were limited, food not very good, and portions fairly small. We had a package that included food and although it was convenient to eat dinners at the hotels with a beautiful view, we ended up going out to the city one of the night.
- Cabana rooms (we ended up staying at two) were nice but simple. TV in the second room was very old and snowy and the front desk couldn't find a remote for it. As for the first room, it the water in the shower was lukewarm and for some reason there was an ant infestation in the bathroom and the ants kept coming back every day despite the staff's attempts to
- We got booked for a second ATM tour of the day, which unfortunately meant that we had to wait on the ATM parking lot for the guide to come back from his first tour - it ended up being a 3-hour wait. I'm sure that it wasn't how it was supposed to work but it was an unfortunately experience.

Overal, I'd say this is a good value for the price but don't expect luxury resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed in a cabana and would recommend those as opposed to the main building which seemed dated. The cabana could have used some updates but I did not go to San Ignacio for the Ritz....if you want lore luxury and lot more price stay at San Ignacio Hotel down the hill a ways.
Staff was very freindly and helpful with tours and dining info within the town.
Hubert picked us up at Belize airport, he was a hoot , a Belizian country singer no less.
Mario spent an entire day with us canoeing the Mecal river and cave tubing in the afternoon, he was like hanging out with a friend for a day, and he knew and shared the Myan culture and history with us....don't miss cave tubing
Overall we enjoyed Cahal Pech we got what we went for.

Room Tip: we like the cabanas
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Cahal Peche for five nights in Feb. 2013, in one of the cabanas. The cabana was beautiful and comfortable ( no closets or places to hang clothes was the only drawback ) with a great screened-in porch. The hotel and cabanas sit atop a hill with great views of town and the pool area, restaurant and grounds are great. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to stay in the hotel. The cabanas were a great fit for us, but if you don't like the sounds of barking dogs and roosters, just get one of the hotel rooms. The reason you have to stay here is the staff !! Cahal Peche Resort was a place where every member of the staff treated us ( and everyone else ) like a really good friend. From the moment I contacted Lenny by e-mail ( outstanding information ) , met Godwin at the Belize City water taxi ( a complimentary transfer to the hotel ! ) with a stop at Belize Zoo, to being immediately checked into our cabana ( carried our bags ! ), to meeting and talking to Walter and Gilbert ( our waiters that we would love to see again, so we could wait on them ! ), to our front desk angels Reina and Raphael, who always had the answers for anything we needed to know ( Reina, Wendy still has some questions about men's/women's accounts ?), to Oscar the friendly bartender and Mr. Chin who keeps the grounds looking great and finally, Shamira at the excursions desk ( hey, P.C., what's happening today ? ), they all worked so hard to make our vacation special. We will always remember how we were treated by the very special people in this very special place. Thank you all !!
Randy and Wendy. Saskatoon, Sk. Canada

Room Tip: If you need quiet, or have mobility issues, you may want to stay in the hotel rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randy and Wendy P
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were unfortunate to get some heavy rain while here, and an unseasonal cold front, but the room itself was nice and cosy. TV channels didn't work, and wifi was patchy (especially in room). Food was reasonable if unremarkable. Oscar in the bar was a lovely guy, v welcoming. It's a steep walk up the hill from San Ignacio town, but close enough all the same.

Fun watching the bird life from the balcony of the room, and the view over the area is very nice. Would happily stay again though, as it seems you'd have to pay a bit more to get better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visitng my daughter studying abroad near here, we spent a couple days relaxing and taking in the sights. I highly recommend staying in the thatched roof bungalows as it is more unique than the hotel part and is structured in the Mayan tradition. Upon awakening you're treated to the different songs of the native birds. Air conditioning and hot water are modern ammenities;the rooms are spacious and simply decorated; a screened-in porch with hammock provides relaxing town views.

The pool area is kept nice(there are 2 conncenting pools.) We didnt use, except for chatting poolside one comfortable starlit evening. We ate breakfast and dinner onsight-very good food-reasonably priced. Must try the Pineapple Chicken! Internet service is only offered near the office, open-air restauarant and pool, which was fine for us considering the surroundings.

To get this great view, the steep and hourendously bumpy road to the top is a challenge, but worth it. I had a rental car which I made sure to come the first time in daylight hours so I could more easily navigate the potholes(there's no proper drainage here so roads take a beating from constant rain runoff.) A 5 minute walk down the hill is Cahel-Pech Ruin which is a gem at only $5 entrance fee.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the bungalow-the newer ones to the far right are well worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family