“they take care of everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cahal Pech Village Resort

Cahal Pech Village Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“they take care of everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

For a no frills hotel I loved the way they package the deals. They picked us up at the airport and arranged all the trips with great guides. I would have given the room 3 stars because it smelled but the food was great so that bumped it up. The town was so scary looking my husband would not even go, I would have for the local experience. Thank god the food was excellent and I did not mind eating there. If you are looking for a good value then this is the place. We did the ATM and it was exhilirating ! We did ruins and that was fun. I would have stayed another night if I know about the nature monkey tour, I do feel bad I did not see monkeys,I did see 4 tocans at the ATM and that was great.

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer building and it would have been great if not for the smell. My husband did no...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merleglass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Rooms, depending on choice of lodging are a bit dated. I can only speak for the 2 bed kitchenettes in the main building. Overall fittings need to be updated. However, ac in all rooms, staff were lovely, breakfast was decent and varied. I felt safe at all times.

• Stayed July 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

For the price, the cabanas were good and what a luxury to cool off in the swimming pool after adventuring around Cayo! Relaxing in the hammock on the screened porch looking out at the lights of San Ignacio & the distant lightning was really nice. We were at the lower edge of the property which was more private, but hearing the karaoke bar down in San Ignacio until 1 AM and then the roosters starting up at 3 AM made sleep a bit challenging. "Saint" Rafeal who works the front desk in the afternoon is probably the reason I would stay here again. Simply put, he's nicest person in Cayo and will help you with just about anything you need. They have a US phone number that you can make calls to the US for free, the tours are failry priced and they use the best guides, and the safest taxi drivers. Walking distance from the Cahal Pech ruins but not really from downtown San Ignacio, the Pineapple Chicken cooked inside a whiole pineapple, nice views and nice breeze, AC and TV worked pretty good in the cabanas.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JahTraveller
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My family and I (me, wife and two teen-aged sons) stayed at Cahal Pech a few weeks ago in a family suite. This consisted of a large bedroom for the boys with two full-sized beds and a large main room with a king-sized bed for my wife and I , as well as a TV, couch and chairs. En suite bath. Balcony with a beauitiful view of San Ignacio. It was very clean.
However: the doors-- into the suite, into the boys' room and into the bathroom-- did not open or close properly because they were too long to traverse the doorway, or because they were not hung properly or both. There were NO lights in the main room. None. The windows on the boys' room opened out onto the walkway or a view of a concrete block wall about three feet away. When we checked in we were offered chairs for the balcony and accepted. None showed up until the next day. The TV did not work (which was fine with me, but my son was a bit annoyed.) And it was rather noisy. The problems with the room were addressed by management after we complained a couple times. But in my opinion a room with doors that don't close or without any lights is a problem that a customer should not even have to mention before it is fixed.

The restaurant was OK for a resort: over-priced offerings with small portions and not a lot of selection. And very little typical Belizean food. After our first meal there we took a cab into town to eat, which was well worth it.
My wife and I had been to Belize twice before and I have lived and travelled extensively in the developing world. None of the things I complain about here would be worth mentioning-- if this were a budget hotel. It was not. We paid almost US$150 per night. For that kind of money you should get more. I will definitely NOT go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank scott d
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at Cahal Pech Village Resort approximately one week ago in one of the cabanas. The fellow reviewers are quite accurate in the description of the cabanas. The towel situation has possibly become worse, as the "bath mat" was a single frayed towel sewn together to double it up in thickness. Additionally, the pillows are quite thin. The hot water seemed to run out around 8:30 a.m. - although, there was a large tour group staying in the hotel room portion, and this is Belize - so I can understand this.

Overall, I would rate the resort average. I have now stayed at several hotels/resorts in Belize and while the grounds and pool are beautiful, including the restaurant patio, I would say that the cabanas could benefit from an upgrade.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Legal4u
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was very impressed by the Cahal Pech Village Resort. For the price of the rooms, I thought the accommodations were fair (they're pretty sparse but the cabins are cool and rustic). The other reviews of the towel situation is still true-- they are pretty stingy about the towels, but there were always enough we just had to ask for them. The pool area, dinner, view and location are great. Breakfast was a little weak.

The resort is a 15 minute walk to San Ignacio (which doesn't have much going on, btw) or a $5 cab ride. The hotel staff organized transportation and great day trips for us-- we did ATM caves (which was awesome), and Tikal (which we felt was not worth the long trip there). In hindsight I would have done ruins in Belize instead. The Cahal Pech ruins nearby are small and quiet but special in their own right. Would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I gave this 5 stars because of our fantastic experience with the hotel tour guide, Mario. We spent the better part of two days with him (first to Xunantunich, then to Caracol). I could go on and on about him, but I'll spare you and keep it short: he is deeply knowledgeable & passionate about all things Mayan, very easy-going, and extremely friendly and engaging. He even invited my boyfriend and I over for dinner with his family! The ruins were breathtaking as they are, but Mario's expertise truly made the trip memorable. Even if you're not staying at Cahal Pech Resort, see if you can hop in one of the groups with him. ;)

The hotel rooms themselves weren't anything particularly special, but they were reasonably clean and comfortable. The views from the balcony are really the highlight--you can see the entire city of San Ignacio beneath and around you, and the foggy mornings are particularly stunning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rumors Resort
Rumors Resort
#6 of 14 in San Ignacio
4.5 of 5 stars 178 reviews

Been to Cahal Pech Village Resort? Share your experiences!