Midas Belize
  • Breakfast included
$72
$70
  • Pool
Black Rock Lodge(Black Rock)
  • Pool
Tropicool Hotel(San Ignacio)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsin townpool bardeluxe roomsfamily cottagemain buildinghot waterlarge poolfry jacksair conditioningpeace and quietguava limbfront porchcouple of nightsstayed nightscahal pechceiling fanthe cottages
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our experiences were indescribably fantastic. We LOVED the pool and the secret cave in the pool was fascinating. The staff were attentive to our needs and made us feel cherished. The owners were as delightful as could be. I was lucky enough to be invited by chef Carlos for a cooking lesson on making fry jack (a favorite Belizean bread). Staff member, Manuel, caught a 3+ foot iguana for us to touch and take close-up pictures of and he even offered to let us hold it (we chickened out). We were fortunate to attend an authentic birthday party at the resort and got to witness all the children taking turns at batting the colorful pinata.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We thought Midas was in the perfect location - about a 10 minute walk from the "downtown" San Ignacio area. We liked staying in room 7 - it wasn't in the main house so we didn't hear the music from the bar at all, but it was close enough so that we felt comfortable. The property goes pretty far back, so we liked being closer up front. We had a bathroom in our cabana, but the ones outside for the shared rooms didn't look to appealing to tell you the truth! The two sinks outside weren't even really covered! The breakfast was decent and if you have an early tour, they start serving at 7. The "bacon" was too salty but the fry jacks were good, as was the (usually) freshly-squeezed oj. Tomas the bartender was very friendly and even told us where to go to see Cahal Pech, the iguana preserve (we saw both, must-sees), and Xunatunich (which we missed). Chef Carlos was also very nice as well, although we didn't get to try his food. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. I'd recommend it!

Room Tip: Cabana 7! Close to the main house but still separate so you don't hear the music.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mandakay82
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed here with my parents a few years ago in May of 2008. I know it's been a long time but I wanted to post about this hotel because we had such a great experience there. The family that owns this hotel bent over backward to make sure that we had a nice stay. A couple of nights we even hung out with the owners and played a little acoustic guitar. They arranged our transportation to and from the Belize City airport as well as a number of local tours. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife, daughter (15) and I stayed for a couple of days in Feb. of '13 at the end of our trip to Belize. We didn't have any reservations here or at any other place we stayed for the week, and this was the most accomodating hotel we stayed at. When we showed up the only room they had was a deluxe room which was a reasonable price for what we got. The room was nicely updated and clean, there was only one bed but my daughter slept in the bay window and she thought that was cool. We ate at the restaraunt for one breakfast and one dinner and thought both were fantastic. The most important thing to understand in Belize and like countries you visit is that you're not staying at a Marriott or a Hyatt hotel in the US so let your hair down a bit, and go with the flow. The only way YOU have a bad vacation is because of YOU.

Room Tip: I would agree with other reviews that the deluxe rooms are the way to go. I didn't see the into the cabanas but the are truley rustic and I didn't see the main building rooms either.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I reserved a cottage but was given a cabana. I don't know what the difference is between the two but I don't think it is much of anything. First of all, let me say, this place was not my idea of what a resort is (and I have stayed at many). It is VERY RUSTIC and BASIC. The wood cabana is a small, dark room with A/C, a stand fan, two full size beds (that were very lumpy and uncomfortable), a small table between the two beds, cable TV, and a small table with one wood slated chair. The roof is made of tin. The bathroom is tiny and you are provided two bath towels. Period. No hand towels or wash cloths. You are given plastic tokens to turn in to the office in exchange for a pool towel if you need one. There is a small overhead fluorescent light in the bathroom and one in the sleeping area and that is it. No lamps of any kind. The floors are wood slats with gaps between them large enough to see underneath the cabana. I found ants in my bed every night and surprised a roach a few times when I turned on the bathroom light at night. There are no ammenities in the cabanas at all. We would ask for cups of ice to take back with us in case we wanted to cool our water.

When we arrived there was a power outage but apparently there is not any kind of a backup plan in place for when this happens. We had to ask for some candles or a flashlight so we could see to go to the bathroom since the rooms are so dark, especially as night falls. They brought us some candles after a while.

There is a restaurant but the menu is limited. The servings were large but the food was just okay. Everyone was very nice and we met some nice people there. We did not use the pool but must say it was very pretty and there was a nice bar there. Maybe that is what makes it a 'resort' to them. As long as you know what you are in for, or reserve one of the 'luxury' rooms, you will be okay here.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a luxury room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple