“Friya= one of the best things I've ever eaten!”
Review of Fuego Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Fuego Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Inspired Belizean cuisine utilizing ingredients from the farmer's market next door. Dine in the park while listening to great music and enjoying the cuisine of chef Jesse Mas.
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Located in the Town square of San Ignacio, Fuego Bar & Grill was recommended by Marcus, owner of Parrot Nest Lodge. Service was top notch. The covered patio (with ceiling fans) was a welcome respite. The friya (fried plantains covered in fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro and more) with a reduction sauce with hints of chocolate is seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten! A must try. Great prices. Good selection.

There are newer reviews for Fuego Bar & Grill

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Fuego is probably the fanciest restaurant in the small town of San Ignacio. The food is trendy, fusion-type food that although tasty, is nothing memorable. While the prices are still reasonable compared to most restaurants I go to in Washington, DC, they are much higher than what you would pay at the more local establishments in town with considerably better food.

When I travel, I like to immerse myself in the local culture. Fuego did not meet that criteria. The night I went, the restaurant was largely overrun with young American/British travelers. Although it was only 8 p.m., pop music was blasting so loud that my friend and I could barely have a conversation. I love a good pop song like the rest of them, but when I'm at a club looking to dance, not when I'm trying to have dinner. My best advice for this restaurant is to be prepared for what you are getting into and if you go, go for drinks instead of dinner.

1  Thank Tiffany P
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We ate dinner at another local restaurant before stopping at Fuego's for a drink to finish the night. One drink turned into three, as there were so many different things on the menu to try. All were great and offered some unique, local flavor combinations.

1  Thank kuko7723
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The restaurant, a new one, was very tastefully appointed. Out of 14 meals, 5 folks raved about theirs. All of them had the special chicken dish. Everything else was just ok. The folks that had alcoholic drinks said they were really good, though! So this might be a better spot for drinks.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

This place is right on the square, a great place to observe the hustle and bustle around you. While it is more expensive than other restaurants in the area, it is really good. Their food was unique and full of various flavors. We had appetizers here twice and a meal once, and all of them were delicious.

1  Thank scienceblondie