“An under-appreciated gem....”

Cahal Pech Mayan Ruins & Museum
Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in San Ignacio
More attraction details
Owner description: This ancient Mayan site features a museum and several dozen surviving structures.
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An under-appreciated gem....”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

While staying in Cayo district, we visited several ruins, including Tikal (in Guatamala) and Xunantunich. Cahal Pech is less dramatic than these, but I would argue more enchanting because of its half-excavated stated. Even better, it's just an easy walk (though all uphill) from San Ignacio. Definitely worth a few hours of your time!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank CarlaC_in_Austin

• Polish first
San Ignacio, Belize
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Interesting!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went to the museum first. There were several interesting artifacts like the small dolphin head figurine. I really love the mural on the wall depicting the city in its hey day.

When we arrived at the ruins, the tour guide told us that this was the oldest Maya site around. I was quite surprised! The place felt like a real authentic Maya vibe to it. Overall, it was very enjoyable! I totally recommend it!

Visited November 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“WOW”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our first Mayan site...it's amazing how much over growth from the centuries had to be uncovered to be discovered...It is still work in progress making things more better for the visitors (nice walkways)..Our guide was very nice, full of information and making our visit to Cahol Pech an interesting one...

Visited October 2012
Portland, Oregon
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Cahal Pech Ruins”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Chavez was our guide from San Ignacio Resort. VERY knowlegeable I have always been fascinated by the ruins. Chavez took his time to show us around & explain everything. Thank you!Since this was my first trip in 15 years I really was over due to get far far away. Would I do this again YES without a doubt!!

Visited September 2012
San Ignacio, Belize
“Cahal Pech which is not far from Rainforest Haven Inn”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The site is an excellent place to go and have fun. I liked the history that these temples have hidden for many years now. It was fun discovering what the people in the past were able to do and build.

Visited September 2012