duPlooy's Jungle Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$175
$408
  • Breakfast included
$59
Priceline
Black Rock Lodge(Black Rock)
  • Pool
All reviewsbotanical gardensjungle lodgehorseback ridingmacal riverfire towerla casitacave tubingmayan ruinsatm cavetree houseon sitemeal planevery morningpine ridgeday tripguided tourexotic birds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Can't say enough positive things about this place. The whole package was incredible...the staff (all of the staff) were kind, grounded, knowledgeable and bent on ensuring that we had the kind of experience that we had envisioned. The food was delicious, the accommodations were charming and the surroundings gave the jungle experience that we sought. Our favorite aspect of the place was its total dedication to sustainable travel...local food prepared using traditionl dishes, local employees, recycling, solar energy, rain water collection...then there are the botanical gardens right there..a stable, canoes, wildlife to beat the band and knowledgeable guides. We say go, go, go..you won't regret it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cayowoman, Owner at duPlooy's Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thanks so much for your good review. I really enjoyed the time spent talking with you as well.
That's the good thing about duPlooy's - people know where they are going and can appreciate us for what we are.

Glad you had a good time and hope to see you here again.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

There is so much to do at duPlooy's, whether it be exploring the Botanical Gardens, horseback riding, canoeing, swimming, or relaxing on the porch--there is always something to do. My class and I traveled from Castleton, Vermont (from Castleton State College) on a school trip to duPlooy’s, and enjoyed every minute of our stay. DuPlooy’s offers many things to do on site, and is also very close to the beautiful Mayan ruins of Xunantunich and Cahal Pech. We exhausted ourselves hiking the ruins (as well as traveling to Caracol and Tikal in Guatemala) everyday, and were very happy to return to the relaxing atmosphere at duPlooy’s. The scenery at duPlooy’s is breathtaking; the jungle flora is beautiful, and accents the beauty of the surrounding Maya mountains and Macal River. The location is ideal for a relaxing getaway, as it feels very remote but is still close to nearby San Ignacio. Accommodations are clean and comfortable. I stayed in the Jungle Lodge and our room had two queen sized beds, as well as a huge tiled shower. Ceiling fans are used instead of air conditioning, which adds to the charm of duPlooy's; it is a sustainable eco-retreat. I appreciate the fact that they use solar power, and encourage their guests to help conserve energy. The staff is extremely friendly, insightful, and accommodating. Also, the food is delicious! Fresh produce from the garden is used everyday, and is served in a variety of scrumptious ways. I was very excited about the many vegetarian options! DuPlooy’s is more than an eco-retreat; it is a jungle oasis. I enjoyed every minute of my stay, and definitely plan to return! Thank you for making my time away from home so enjoyable!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Jungle Lodge, which is right on the front edge of the property, along the Macal River. The jungle noises were soothing to me as I grew up in the countryside of Vermont, but they were rather loud. If you're not used to loud noises, either bring earplugs or stay in a room closer to the office (to ensure a good night's rest).
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for the review. Castleton has been coming to duPlooy's for a long time and the students are always polite, curious and appreciative. It was fun having you and special that you got to share in the wedding festivities. Don't forget that Belize Botanic Gardens likes interns.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I first visited duPlooy's before our marriage -- and we returned this spring with our two boys, 6 and 8. Everything we loved was still there. The setting is so beautiful and unspoiled and the staff is outstanding. We took the kids horseback riding with a great instructor, who was perfect with young riders. We were also happy to reconnect with the owner, Judy, who runs the place with a huge sense of ethics for preserving the natural landscape, and has recently opened world class botanical gardens on the property. And we were overjoyed with the quality and diversity of the vegetarian options on the menu. I expected to spend several days surviving on salads and fries or veggie quesadillas (typical for a Central American trip) but I was actually blown away by the quality and diversity of the menu. We can't wait to return -- and it'll be a lot sooner than a dozen years!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for coming back. Your children are just the way children should be - free to explore and think on their own.

I have a book to recommend. Occult America. This history of religion and the occult in the US is very readable for us ordinary humans.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Whether you opt to explore the expansive grounds on foot, swim in the river or head off by canoe, horse or motor vehicle, there is so much to see and do around duPlooy's. Considering that for any guests, it's a journey to get here, plan on spending at least a full day on-site, because once you are there, you're here! Birds and other wildlife abound at your doorstep. I was here (for the third time in 4 years) with my husband only, but we noted how well set up duPlooy's is for groups, including multi-generational. It's easy to organize active adventures or hang around for a laid back day. Whether you hike or hammock-test, you can enjoy mind-blowing encounters of the natural kind. We were delighted to go exploring and birding again with resident guide, Mr. Philip; his spotting skills and good humor made for great days in the field. The bird feeder at the bar was super-active during our visit, with a variety of visitors from the ever-popular collared aracari,to plain chachalacas, brown jays, clay-colored thrush, red-throated ant tanagers, yellow-throated euphonia and, my favorite, the blue-crowned motmot, among others. With these spectacles right in the open, you can hardly leave the deck, but more awaits beyond, from a grey fox watching over you as you leave the gate to a majestic black hawk eagle circling the open sky. I am always shocked when I see a review suggesting that you can "see it all" in a day; after 3 visits of 4 or more nights each, we still see new things and know there are unexhausted possibilities. Besides, can you really get tired of being surrounded by orchids and toucans, exploring Mayan ruins, and waking up to the sound of parrots and chachalacas? If you think that sounds boring, you're a bad match for duPlooys, but if you want a place where you will be comfortably accommodated to boot, check in here. We do enjoy other lodgings in Belize in other districts, but returning to Cayo means staying at duPlooy' - our natural choice.

Room Tip: Bungalows are best; treehouse next best
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tellurian

Thanks for being frequent guests and for your appreciation of the natural world. You are right, you can't "do it all" in a couple of days. Some adventures are right on your doorstep. We have another good one for you next time - afternoon tour and sunset with wine and cheese on top of a temple at Yaxha. This has just been tested by visitors and they say it's a "must see"

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a really special place. It is beautiful and feels very remote, yet is also comfortable and has lots to do. The setting is perfect-- wild and natural, yet manicured is spots. The food is better than it has any right to be given how remote it feels (great vegetarian options at every meal!) The river is there for a cool dip, and horseback riding on the property was an amazing way to take in the area.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank allisono144

Thanks for the great review. Always appreciated by both myself and our staff. I guess having raised a large family here and testing activities on my 8 grandchildren, makes us aware of what families like.

Thanks again,