“Beautiful Property, Great Hosts and Staff”
Review of Windy Hill Resort

Windy Hill Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My sister and I took a small vacation to Belize. We each had cabins at Windy Hill. We both loved our little cabins at Windy Hill. The native wood they were made from and local wood carvings inside made Windy Hill a charming place to stay. The AC cooled my cabin down quickly after coming back from a day of tours. Some people complain about no hot water in the bathroom, but I liked having a little "roughing it". Cold water in May isn't exactly cold anyway. The shower was plenty warm.
We had both Edgar and Edgar Jr as our Windy Hill tour guides. They made us feel at home and were very informative about the area and Mayan history. I thought I had left my sunglasses back at one of the caves and Edgar drove all the way back to look for them and he even went back into the cave looking for them. They both are willing to go with the flow and change the tour as required to achieve maximum enjoyment from the tourists. They're very flexible.
The resort has great food at the restaurant, but sometimes there's no one tending bar at the bar. One time my sister just went behind the bar and mixed her own drink and paid for it later LOL. Whatever and whenever we needed anything the staff was helpful. My only regret is that we only stayed there 3 nights. There is so much to see in the Belize highlands you need a week minimum to just scratch the surface.

Room Tip: I had cabin 16 which looked out over the infinity pool. I felt it was a good location. Don't mi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MattCCastleRock_Co_

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We found the cabin clean and neat. The mahogany floors were beautiful, however, I was shocked to see the only hot water was in the shower. It was also unsettling to see the 110 volt wires spliced with wire nuts right out in the open on the shower head itself. Never would be allowed in the USA. the rest of the facility was very nice. We enjoyed our meals at their restaurant and the staff were all very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dennis B
WHRBZE, Manager at Windy Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your candid review. We have purchased a new water heating system for the entire resort. We have been super busy these past few months but we intend to install this new water heating system this summer as soon as things start slowing down.

We appreciate your comments and do hope you can come back someday to see the improvements.

We would be delighted to offer you a 10% discount on your next visit.

All the best,

Terry Hales

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Windy Hill is a great place with wonderful people who want to make you
happy and comfortable. The three friends we made where Richard, his brother
Archie and the bar man, Tony. Those three could not do enough for us and
will always be part of our memories. The resort is laid out on a hillside, so be
prepared for an uphill walk . The grounds are very nice, covered in trees and
flowers with some of the cabins around the infinity pool. The cabins are small
but very clean and well appointed. The food at the resort is excellent with that
home cooked feel to it. Prices are fair. We did two tours through Windy hill both
were awesome. The first was to Tikal, Windy hill took us to the border were we
were met by a Guatamalan driver(sorry I forgot his name) who gave a very infor-
mative drive into the area, then we were met by our guide, Joshua, a wonderful
man who really helped us understand what we were looking at, thanks again
Josh. On our return Tony picked us up at the border and returned us to the resort.
The next day we toured the Barton Creek cave with Edgar, this again was
unforgetable, Edgar was great. We cabbed into San Ignacio and did some shopping
at the Saturday market and ran into Richard and his little family with one more on
the way. All and all I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.
I would like to see Windy hill add wifi to the cabins and have some golf carts available
for trips up the hill.

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin close to the pool 13 14 15 16 17 18 are the choice cabins,
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I found the service to be worthy of five stars - Tony and Archy were super helpful throughout our stay. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms were clean. It was also nice to have Direct TV to watch late at night. The food was above average and reasonably priced, particularly the breakfast.

I would recommend staying away from downtown San Ignacio. We met some people who were staying downtown who said it was difficult to sleep because of the noise. My only complaints about Windy Hill were: the water in the shower was never warm, just luke warm and the bathrooms were relatively clean (not super clean).

I booked through Hotels.com and paid $138/night for 3 nights. Considering the cost, the rooms were nice

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hillside is full of little cottages which we found clean and comfortable. The pool area was quiet and breezy. Tony the bartender was great with the kids before dinner, playing a few rounds of pool and ping pong. We ate breakfast and dinner in their restaurant were pleased the food selection. This is not an "all inclusive, five star", but I found this to be a terrific little spot and a good value! I would go back again.

Room Tip: Since I am from Maine, I found the rooms we had (without AC) a little warm. There were ceiling fans...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I just came back from another trip to Belize and after staying on the Southern part of the country for the most part of my trip. I decided to stay an overnight at Windy Hills Resort since I was attending a wedding in the area on that weekend. Let me first start by saying the pictures online for the cabin w/AC looked nice; however, the cabin w/AC was very basic for the price. After looking at the room and property for Cahal Pech Resort we wanted to swich properties,but it was too late for us to change. The amenties and pool at Cahal Pech was inviting and up to standard. The pool area at Windy Hills was less to be desired. We decided to make the best out of our stay.

One positive thing is the resort grounds was well kept. On the other hand the staff was slow and I believe we were told they were low on staff. We went to the bar and tried to order a couple of beers. They didn't have heineken which is a pretty standard beer throughout the world. We ask for top shelf liquor and they didnt' have any top shelf tequila either. We then settled for a lime margarita and ordered some food and request they take to pool-side while we swam. Long story short it took them over 1 hour to bring our drinks and food. We met other vacationers that wanted to order food as well poolside and the bartender staff never came back to take their order the whole 2 plus hours we were in and near the pool. We asked about their onsite spa they advertised on the property and they actually don't have an onsite spa, they call someone off the property for double the price. You would be better off going in town and getting an massage directly with the third party for a reasonable price. I would not stay at this property again or recommend them to my friends.

I would rather stay at Cahal Pech which is 15 dollars cheaper their room/pool/ and bar looked very nice and like a better value. We visited both properies to compare; but had already checked into Wendy Hills and they would not let us change after the fact.

1  Thank Jane D
WHRBZE, Manager at Windy Hill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear Unhappy Guest,

We are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. First of all, you should have mentioned that you originally booked two nights and that we didn't charge you for the first the night you cancelled but after having checked in to the hotel you attempted to cancel the second night not because you were unhappy with what you saw but because the event you were attending was taking place at the other hotel mentioned in your review.

I apologize on behalf of our staff member that told you we were low on staff; that was not professional at all.

Our Deluxe A/c Cottages are basic but offer all that is necessary to make your stay comfortable. Pillow Top Mattresses with duvet covers, white linens and towels , flat screen cable TV, bathroom amenities, and private bathrooms with hot & cold showers. Each cottage has a private verandah with hammock and outdoor furniture.

We do not sell Heineken Beer at our Bar because we try to provide our guests with the best Belize has to offer and Heineken is not a Belizean Beer.

As per top shelf tequila, we offer "Patron" Silver and Añejo.

We do not have a Spa onsite, and we do not advertise that we do. We do have a Massage Room onsite and recently expanded the list of services offered including manicures, pedicures, facials, body scrubs and massages. 99% of the hotels in this area, including Cahal Pech do not have a spa onsite and when necessary call on masseuses that own day spas in town.

It's funny you found Cahal Pech more attractive and a better deal, when often times it is the other way around and guests after staying there come and stay with us quite displeased with their service and accommodations.

We would love to make it up to you and offer you a free night stay the next time you are in San Ignacio.

All the best,

Terry Sosa-Hales

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The staff at the Windy Hill resorts made my stay most memorable. The were not only curtious but prompt to respond to our needs and inquiries. The bungalows were quite nice and very clean and the infinity pool most appealing. The grounds are simply decorate and quite beautiful with various flowers and trees. All in all a very nice resort with a great staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends