“Wonderful place in Belize”
Review of Windy Hill Resort

Windy Hill Resort
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Windy Hill from May 5-11 2012. It was our first time in Belize. We both agreed that we could not have had a better introduction to this beautiful country. Windy Hill was perfect for us--very quiet, the staff were absolutely fabulous, the afternoon breeze was glorious! Our room sits (rm 18 as I recall) up on the hill overlooking the pool, which we used quite a lot. It was very clean, spacious, beautifully decorated (even better than the pictures!).

I want to pay an extra bit of gratitude to Elmer, Richard, Amed, and Rodwell. I'm sure all the staff are terrific we just had more interaction with these special hosts. Elmer, front desk staff, gave us great tips on places near by to go for dinner, site seeing (we rode the local bus with him to his home town of Succotz). He went home, and we visited the lovely XUNANTINICH Mayan Temple after crossing the Mopan River--spectacular, although not as large a complex as many of the others in the area.

I also want to mention Edgar, our guide for a day at Caracol. He picked us up at the resort, escorted us to the temple, shared his extensive knowledge, let us go at our own pace, took us to a wonderful swimming place on the river on our way home, and shared a very spicy pepper with me! He was just terrific.

The only complaint, and it's very minor, is that we would have liked to have had wine with dinner, but none was available. We did buy some at a market in San Ignacio, so we were able to sip a few glasses in the evenings on our porch.

My husband and I just can't get in enough compliments for this very special spot in the Belize!

Room Tip: Bungalow next to the pool is great as long as there are very few people around.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Me and my friends stayed thier for two night the place was great loved the flowers and trees the rooms were nice we didn't had no air con but it was not necessary the room was in good temperature the swimming pool was also nice noting fancy but over all clean we where given fresh towels every day our room where made also ever day I would defiantly stay there again

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Jaimenovelo
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Having your own cabin was great..!! Clean and fresh pool towels every day. No problems with
staff at all. Beautiful grounds with jungle sounds I have never heard before. We recomend this place 100%......

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank evcookie
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Thanks to Windy Hill & their AMAZING staff, my hubby & I had the trip of our lives!

We stayed at WH at the end of April, 2012- and selected the Surf & Turf package (#20).

DAY 1: Someone from WH picked us up at the airport, waiting outside right when we landed with a sign and a smile. He took us directly to the cave tubing/ zip-lining site (about a 45 minute drive). Zip lining through the jungle was awesome! It took about 45 minutes to complete all the legs of the course (I think there were 7); everyone was helpful, knowledgeable of the wildlife and eager to share. We had a quick (simple but good) lunch and went on to cave tubing (if you go directly from the airport, make sure to bring a change of clothes & pair of shoes to wear- we wore flip flops which was mostly fine, but our guide did take us off the beaten path a bit to explore some of the caves, so water shoes would have been nice. They also have them for rent on-site and its only $3). From there it was about an hour drive to WH. Bumpy roads+ speed bumps+ stick shift= car sickness for me… but I was the only one, so maybe I’m a wimp. After arriving everyone was so nice & helpful (they even gave me a ginger ale to help ease my stomach). Dinner was delicious (and BIG). If you choose an all-inclusive package meals are included and totally amazing!

Day 2: We added the ATM cave to our package in place of Xunatunich. Left at 8am, and at the site by 9:30. Hiked about 30 minutes through gorgeous thick jungle (note: end of april is the dry season- everything is still lush, but no mosquitoes! score!) and swam into the cave. From there its an up and down, climb /crawl/ wade/ hike through tights spaces, wide open rooms, and at most chest-high water- truly amazing. Lots of stalactites & stalagmites, Mayan pottery (preserved beautifully in the calcium-rich cave) and even human remains. You'll need to bring a separate pair of clean, dry socks (your guide can carry them in his drypack) as part of the caves must be done in only socks as an act of preserving the remains. It's all been left as-is, for fear of causing more damage to the ruins if they tried to remove them.. tour ends around 4, back to WH by 5. Long day, long walks, but soo worth it! And only a small number of guides are certified to do this cave tour, so there weren't many people around.. a must see!

DAY 3: Tikal! We were up and out around 7am on day three for our day trip to Guatemala... someone from WH drove us to the border and dropped us off with our Guatemalan driver who, after customs took us to Tikal. Its a long drive, maybe 2 hours, but Guatemala is beautiful & the driver was nice enough to take a small detour to show us some of the scenery and a couple of gift shops. We had a private tour guide in Tikal, who deciphered some of the glyphs, talked about the ruins and lead us around the site (and even pointed out howler monkeys, spider monkeys, exotic birds, and other things I never would have spotted without him). It's huge. The temples are tall, the area is sprawling, and every time you turn around there's another ruin to take in. And only 20% of Tikal has been excavated!! Its unreal.

Windy Hill has beautiful grounds with lots of trees and flowers, a beautiful pool, and quaint cottages. Everyone on staff was helpful beyond expectations, the food was incredible, and money can't buy the amount of stress, energy and time they saved me by arranging all the adventures we had (transportation, fees, guides, food, scheduling, etc..) I would stay there again in a heartbeat! Seriously, everything went off without a hitch and I couldn't be more pleased.

After 3 days inland in San Ignacio, were headed for the Ambergris Caye to stay at the Blue Tang Inn, to take in a few days of snorkeling, sailing, and swimming- it was perfect & WH arranged everything with them for us including transportation, the room, and the activities. It was perfect and completely stress free. I didn't know vacations could be like that! :) Thanks, Windy Hill!

Room Tip: We had cottage #16- kind of secluded, but right by the pool- perfect! (it also had A/C- an upgrade...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whitney r
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Windy Hill Resort (Review)
On the plus side these are large, attractively furnished lodges, in glorious gardens and grounds, overlooking a wonderful forest landscape from the top of a (you guessed it) hill,with friendly staff. But given the high price paid, far more thought should be given and investment made. The lack of coffee /tea making facilities and no fridge means everything has to be taken in the bar, or from the hotel. Not as good as we would have expected.

A major issue (with implications/dangers of internet fraud or identity theft) was that they insisted on a faxed, signed form with all credit card details. When I queried this I was given a slightly confused mixture of ' Our bank has advised us to do it that way'
' We haven't updated our systems yet' (when I suggested they should either have on line booking or use Pay Pal) Apologetic, but I would not use them again until they sort this out.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. We were upgraded to a cabana next to the fantastic pool. They even included a comlimentary continental breakfast with a huge fruit plate.

We also had lunch and dinner there one day. Also superb.
Only improvement I could suggest is a coffee maker in the cabana but no big deal, coffee was available in the restaurant at 6 am.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We loved our trip to Windy Hill. We are already planning on going back. Our cottage was clean, comfortable, and spacious. The staff were welcoming and enjoyable. Look for Tony, Elmer and Terry. They may be in the bar, resturant, or the front desk.They will help you with all your needs. The veiw from our cottage deck allowed us to watch the sun rise each day over the quaint town of San Ignacio. The infinity pool over looked miles of rainforest and was surrounded by beautiful flowering bushes and trees, with pina coladas served poolside. We liked the location, close enough to the city to have dinner and far enough away to experience the rainforest enviornment. BELIZE = Wonderful people, food, and beauty.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple