If you stay here and do any off site activities, be prepared to ride in vans and land cruisers for most of your day. Everything takes a long time to get to because it's all down curvy dirt roads, I can't imagine what it would have been like if we'd done any of these activities from San Pedro.
Darin was waiting for us right outside the airport and drove us to Chaa Creek, he's very friendly and knowledgable, he also drove us across the border to Guatemala to Tikal for our visit there. Tikal was excellent, although a very tiring day, but something not to be missed. The ATM tour also should not be missed and was the highlight of our time in Chaa Creek. The other tour we did was Barton Creek canoeing into a cave, but if I got to do things over again I'd take cave tubing over Barton Creek.
The grounds are beautiful and so are the rooms, the staff is very accomodating.
Some minor things that we can overlook but still can be annoying. The rooms are much closer to each other than I thought they'd be. We'd stayed in places like this before with just screens and no windows so at night you could go to sleep to the sounds of nature, but here the sounds we heard were of a very loud snorer and a woman who was vocal during sex. Geckos live in the thatch roof, and when they poop, the poop must go somewhere, so be prepared to find gecko poop on your sheets and floors, but at least they keep the bugs down. Also be prepared for the meals to not be prepared quite they way we're used to. In some instances it seemed like they tried to overcomplicate some things on the dinner menus. At breakfast after trying and finding out that omlettes and french toast were prepared differently I settled in on the simple two eggs sunny side up, bacon and white toast.
The bad: the bed in our unit (treetop jacuzzi suite) was hard, I felt like I was trying to sleep on the floor, and didn't sleep well our entire stay, the first night we got to San Pedro after this I slept for 12 hours. Our free afternoon we decided to try the jacuzzi. I started running the water and what was coming out was the color of used toilet water. We decided to let the water run for a while to see if the pipe would clear and gave up after half an hour. We brought this to the attention of the concierge when we went down for dinner and another woman from the resort (owner's daughter) jumped in and said it was river water that was mucky because the floods had buried their pumps in the mud, but that it was safe to brush our teeth with. This horrified us as we thought more about it that night. The river is not clean looking, it comes out of Guatemala, we'd seen everyone washing their clothes and selves in the rivers and where the rivers flooded they were flowing through livestock pastures and everything else. So the next day we brought it up again to a different concierge, and he was like no, no our water comes from a well and is filtered, something is wrong with the pipes, the woman didn't know what she was talking about and should have sent maintenance to our room. He comped us some drinks, but it still made us feel very uneasy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For over 30 years Chaa Creek has been providing a comfortable base for exciting inland adventures for thousands of visitors, from explorers, scientists, filmmakers, research groups, students and people of all ages looking for intellectual and physical stimulation in Belize's vibrant rainforest - the heartland of the Maya. We also realise that any rewarding adventure is enhanced by comfortable accommodations and excellent food. Our 23 palm thatched cottage rooms ensure a good night's sleep and delightful mornings accompanied by the sing song of a rainforest waking up, and guests can choose a Complete Garden Suite, an Orchard and Spa Villa, Macal Cottage or Tree Top Suite, all equipped with a Jacuzzi for even extra comfort. As one example, under our Chaa Creek Cares program, 10% of all accommodation revenue goes straight into environmental and social programs, and in supporting Green and community groups. We sleep better, and you will too, knowing that your stay at Chaa Creek has a positive effect on Belize and our very special pristine natural environment. Families share some of life's most cherished moments - and memories - during a Belize family vacation. And to guarantee a family vacation that everyone will enjoy, multi award winning Chaa Creek is the only Belize destination you'll need. Our affordable, all inclusive family friendly adventure holidays are absolutely stress free and bring everyone closer together through sharing a variety of amazing adventures along with quiet moments to reconnect - all in a stunning rainforest setting. Nature and romance bloom year round in the stunning beauty of Belize. Our all-inclusive romantic vacation packages allow lovers of all ages to immerse themselves in nature and each other. An exquisite rainforest filled with colourful tropical birds, canoe trips down the meandering Macal river with the misty Maya mountains in the background, unwinding together in your private Jacuzzi surrounded by a tropical garden, couples massages, candlelit dinners and sharing once-in-a-lifetime experiences create the perfect conditions for love to flower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Lodge at Chaa Creek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel At Chaa Creek
- At Chaa Creek Hotel
- Chaa Creek
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Belize/San Ignacio